Plumbing pvc glue

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a 250 gallon fowler tank I'm currently running a manifold and want to run it on another pump separate from the main. My tank is hard plumped and will need to cut and glue pvc. How long does the glue have to set before I can turn the system back on?

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'd give it thirty minutes to an hour. The glue and primer will fuse the PVC together via chemical reaction, and that happens pretty quickly, this can be tested by trying to twist apart a glued piece even after 2 minutes.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the cure time of the cement. However there isn’t much pressure on the piping so I would worry about it blowing apart as long as the joints are good.The longer you can wait for it to cure the better. I have turned the pump on and pushed wet cement into the tank water with no ill effects, more than once if that’s a concern. Glued the last joint cleaned up ,put the cement and tools back in the garage then let it rip. I use clear cement so a sloppy joint isn’t as visible. The blue rain or shine cement has a 20 min cure time IIRC. However one ut oh and it looks messy

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the one step clear pvc glue called fusion.. my worry was just the wet glue in the water column

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would build as much as I could allowing the glue to cure, then tie in the last few joints. I don’t want to give you ill advice saying your tank will be fine with wet cement in the water column. Then something happens. You can put some glue on PVC and see how long it takes to get a good skin on it. The cure time may be longer inside the pipe.

Here the cure time, 15 minutes is probably good
Allow 15 minutes for good handling strength and 2 hourscure time at temperatures above 60°F before pressure testing up to 180 psi. Longer cure times may be required at temperatures below 60°F or with pipe above 3".

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put solvent on the pipe, not inside the fitting. That eliminates any excess inside the piping. I have routinely started pumps up after 10 minutes without my ill effect.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back