Plumbing questions..

Jamesnorwood860

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this good to everyone before I glue?

D88F01F8-BDAD-4919-91CA-E33AA8373ACF.jpeg 8DC5B1BA-01B7-47FA-AF65-AE348D3ED4E5.jpeg A4F17D66-E501-4F85-A843-6BCF5CC1B545.jpeg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks pretty good I would probably add another union or two to the return plumbing so you can take it apart for cleaning if needed, especially up where the return goes up and over the tank. Even when glued I suggest securing the return plumbing to the stand to take any pressure off the rim of the tank and keep the plumbing from potentially falling off and spraying all over the place :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks pretty good I would probably add another union or two to the return plumbing so you can take it apart for cleaning if needed, especially up where the return goes up and over the tank. Even when glued I suggest securing the return plumbing to the stand to take any pressure off the rim of the tank and keep the plumbing from potentially falling off and spraying all over the place :)

+1 on the unions. You will be glad you did.

OP
OP
J

Jamesnorwood860

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to use two pvc hanger things to the back of the stand and take the “u” off the rim.. also plan on adding loc line adapter instead of the last 90.. idk if there’s enough room for another union. I figured that if I unscrew the one that I can take it out as two pieces

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to use two pvc hanger things to the back of the stand and take the “u” off the rim.. also plan on adding loc line adapter instead of the last 90.. idk if there’s enough room for another union. I figured that if I unscrew the one that I can take it out as two pieces

This is where I would add the second union myself.... it makes taking the U shaped part off on it's own really easy and it also makes cleaning easy as well. I don't want to think how difficult it would be to do any cleaning on the U portion without it. It sounds like you have thought of just about everything which is awesome, I'd make sure to drill in a siphon break somewhere so you're not draining a whole bunch of water into your sump as well :)
Screenshot_20191124-180644_Samsung capture.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jamesnorwood860

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I would add the second union myself.... it makes taking the U shaped part off on it's own really easy and it also makes cleaning easy as well. I don't want to think how difficult it would be to do any cleaning on the U portion without it. It sounds like you have thought of just about everything which is awesome, I'd make sure to drill in a siphon break somewhere so you're not draining a whole bunch of water into your sump as well :)
Where should I do as siphon break? I didn’t think of that at all hahaha

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as long as your plumbing (The outlets for the locline) don't go too deep into the tank you might be okay without one. A lot of people bend the outside up close to the surface and then kindof point them downwards a little bit, once the water level reaches this height it will stop the back siphon...

OP
OP
J

Jamesnorwood860

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as long as your plumbing (The outlets for the locline) don't go too deep into the tank you might be okay without one. A lot of people bend the outside up close to the surface and then kindof point them downwards a little bit, once the water level reaches this height it will stop the back siphon...
Do you think I need a manifold

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I need a manifold

That's not something I can say for sure. They are incredibly handy and I'll put them in any build I do from here on out. But I'll NEVER run a manifold off of a return pump. I like to keep things separate for a few reasons the biggest being ease of use. Lots of people do it, it's just something I won't bother with. My last manifold ran off a Mag 7 pump, which matched my return pump as well so I could swap them if needed.

OP
OP
J

Jamesnorwood860

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not something I can say for sure. They are incredibly handy and I'll put them in any build I do from here on out. But I'll NEVER run a manifold off of a return pump. I like to keep things separate for a few reasons the biggest being ease of use. Lots of people do it, it's just something I won't bother with. My last manifold ran off a Mag 7 pump, which matched my return pump as well so I could swap them if needed.
So you had a second dedicated pump for just the manifold?

OP
OP
J

Jamesnorwood860

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I got a little primer in a thread of a union Is it ruined??

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not be closing a valve against the return pump to control the pump speed.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not be closing a valve against the return pump to control the pump speed.

I think this greatly depends on the pump. but I do agree it isn't an ideal situation. Best thing to do is size the pump to the flow rate you hope to get :)

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loc line is going to restrict your flow as it will be smaller then the PVC. I would over size the return pipe a bit to limit your loss in pump speed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back