Plumbing sanity check

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just finished plumbing I think. Can I get a sanity check and make sure it looks correct.

Went Bean Animal thru the bottom. 1" drain pipe, and the return is 1" then adapted to 3/4 for the loc-line.

Closest pipe is full siphon, middle is Open channel slightly higher than the 1st and 3rd is emergency upturned in the back.

IMG_8387.JPG

Inside I have the two main drains ending under water, emergency out of the water so I could hear it, and then I branched off the 1" return two valves for filter media. These two valves are down to 1/2".

IMG_8383.JPG

What do you think?

OP
OP
BetURWrasse

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see full tank and all equipment

Link to the build is in my signature. I have to go on a business trip Thursday for a week but the plan is to have all the electronics (apex/lights) ready by next weekend. rock and sand ready by the following weekend so I can get it wet. So hopefully 2 more weeks.

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely like the plumbing!! Nice that you went with 45's instead of 90's. The manifold and gate valve is a nice touch too. I wish they weren't all so darn expensive; I would do all gate union valves if I could.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your open channel is wrong, you need an airline just above the emergency drain so that the open channel can become a full siphon if water ever gets that high
It would never become a full siphon the way it's setup in the above picture.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I would recommend is using a foot or so of reinforced vinyl tubing directly off the return pump to reduce noise in the rigid PVC. Pumps vibrate and it transmits right through the pipes. The vinyl stops this and also takes any stress off the pump due to the weight of the PVC and water and any slight misalignments which we call "soft foot" in the pump industry. You want equal weight or footing on all four points or feet of the pump so it sits perfectly flat and lessens the vibration and sound. You could actually run your manifold and valve horizontal then connect with a long gradual sweep or bend of vinyl tubing. Every time I hooked pumps up rigid like that I had noise issues and even tried better rubber feet, mouse pads, plastic baggies filled with sand and more underneath them before finally switching to a short piece of hose.

EuroGti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks clean, but a couple things i would change. Why have unions in the overflow? Its going to make getting the drain pipes out harder. Looks like a tight fit, and i doubt you can get down there to loosen or tighten them. Best thing would be threaded right off the bulkheads. That way all you have to do for maintenance is spin the drain pipes off. Also agree about the return pump. A small section of tubing would quite it down. The orientation of the manifold is a little different facing up like that. Would be much cleaner if you ran it horizontal.

acidtablockshifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used regular pvc couplings for my drains but mine are right over the sump so no chance of leaking anywhere, they are actually short sections off the drains coupled using electrical pvc couplings not even glued that way i can just twist the tubes off to remove filter socks while still running full sypion, also if you drill a bunch of holes in a short section of the pipe above the water in the drains in a spiral but also angled with the flow of water, the holes act as a venturi to pull air in, as the water naturally travels on the outer most part of the plumbing like electricity in a wire, the water pulls air in giving you some airation not much. believe it or not the water never really comes out of the holes kinda pulses, itll come out if the filter socks are full or something like that, of coarse i wouldn't do it if it could leak out but like i said mines right over the sump

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back