Plz help my tank is so cloudy

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think this uv already did something I can kinda almost see the front of my tank now !
please update again in 1-3 days. :) I’m willing to bet an extreme difference.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that marine land filter that I hate and will replace its rated for 75 gallons so it gives good flow plus a Nero 5 but with it on I feel like it’s overkill

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that marine land filter that I hate and will replace its rated for 75 gallons so it gives good flow plus a Nero 5 but with it on I feel like it’s overkill
quick modification just removing the mesh and keeping the plastic cartridge will allow you to just use polyfil and replace media for cheaper, the unit itself is ok and moves water,
In the future upgrades would be an aquaclear 110 like i said before with option to add protein skimmer (tunze comline 9001 very small skimmer) inside of the aquaclear (no risk of overflow)
you could also modify the aquaclear filter 110 to fit a tunze comline protein skimmer, could probably make one baffle out of acrylic and just glue it in for filter floss (polyfil) for super cheap or buy this

or keep the marineland with mod and get this for a larger protein skimmer (caution when using hob protein skimmer because water can overflow)

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick modification just removing the mesh and keeping the plastic cartridge will allow you to just use polyfil and replace media for cheaper, the unit itself is ok and moves water,
In the future upgrades would be an aquaclear 110 like i said before with option to add protein skimmer (tunze comline 9001 very small skimmer) inside of the aquaclear (no risk of overflow)

or keep the marineland with mod and get this for a larger protein skimmer (caution when using hob protein skimmer because water can overflow)
I’m worried about this overflow with these hang on filter / protein skimmers as I hear a lot of horror stories …man I miss my old tank with my nice sump

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the stuff you have now is perfectly fine to run a nice tank though
Ty! Thing is I like the best of the best I would like a protein skimmer bc I wish to overstock this little guy eventually along with feeding alot and being lazy with water changes atleast with my old tank I noticed having a skimmer/sump/sock I never had to do water changes and my tank was beautiful bunch of high end lps corals …the tank was 5 years old I believe it ran itself I never even added trace elements maybe once every 6 months I’d add some chemicals for the hell of it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cant believe this is still lingering. As mentioned previously, there are two types of bacteria at work in aquariums:
  • Autotrophic Bacteria: Bacteria capable of synthesizing its own food from inorganic substances, using light or chemical energy. The beneficial bacterias are autotrophs.
  • Heterotrophic Bacteria: Bacteria that cannot synthesize its own food and is dependent on complex organic substances for nutrition. The heterotrophs in the aquariums mineralize the organic waste (break down the uneaten food, fish waste, dead plant matter, etc. into ammonia).

It is more common that the heterotrophs are seen in bacterial blooms, not the trusted autotroph nitrifiers. It is the heterotrophs which are primarily responsible for creating the bio-film and the likely cause is Lack of proper filtration and anerobic Bacteria. You need as I mentioned to add liquid cultured bactera such as Bacter XLM or similar to tank at 1.5ml per 10 gallons daily for 10 days to outcompete the heterotrophic bacteria that is running wild and causing this milkiness.
Filter- Although I depise them, with absence of sump, utilize the hang on unit and add a canister unit. With the canister, you can add ChemiPure blue , floss and eliminate phoszorb as it will act the same but also polish your water to clarity.
Those free flaoting compounds have to be trapped or digested before you will see clarity.
A hang on skimmer such as Ice Cap K2-50 or K2-100 will also be helpful.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant believe this is still lingering. As mentioned previously, there are two types of bacteria at work in aquariums:
  • Autotrophic Bacteria: Bacteria capable of synthesizing its own food from inorganic substances, using light or chemical energy. The beneficial bacterias are autotrophs.
  • Heterotrophic Bacteria: Bacteria that cannot synthesize its own food and is dependent on complex organic substances for nutrition. The heterotrophs in the aquariums mineralize the organic waste (break down the uneaten food, fish waste, dead plant matter, etc. into ammonia).

It is more common that the heterotrophs are seen in bacterial blooms, not the trusted autotroph nitrifiers. It is the heterotrophs which are primarily responsible for creating the bio-film and the likely cause is Lack of proper filtration and anerobic Bacteria. You need as I mentioned to add liquid cultured bactera such as Bacter XLM or similar to tank at 1.5ml per 10 gallons daily for 10 days to outcompete the heterotrophic bacteria that is running wild and causing this milkiness.
Filter- Although I depise them, with absence of sump, utilize the hang on unit and add a canister unit. With the canister, you can add ChemiPure blue , floss and eliminate phoszorb as it will act the same but also polish your water to clarity.
Those free flaoting compounds have to be trapped or digested before you will see clarity.
A hang on skimmer such as Ice Cap K2-50 or K2-100 will also be helpful.
I was thinking I have no choice but a hang on skimmer sadly ..,day 3 no major difference water change helped slightly not much tho as far as the green killing machine it’s not working maybe I just got unlucky as some people say it works great

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was thinking I have no choice but a hang on skimmer sadly ..,day 3 no major difference water change helped slightly not much tho as far as the green killing machine it’s not working maybe I just got unlucky as some people say it works great
Ice Cap K-1 and K2 series are very reliable. I use a K2 unit. works just like a full size skimmer

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice Cap K-1 and K2 series are very reliable. I use a K2 unit. works just like a full size skimmer
new k3 look promising as it is just the same design as the reef octopus, lol, patent must have ran out. wat do you think about the k3-100 vs k3-200? Just a different design type wanted to hear your input though

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m worried about this overflow with these hang on filter / protein skimmers as I hear a lot of horror stories …
Get a Tunze Comline doc skimmer. It hangs inside the tank, so it cannot overflow. That’s what I have and it does a good job.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
new k3 look promising as it is just the same design as the reef octopus, lol, patent must have ran out. wat do you think about the k3-100 vs k3-200? Just a different design type wanted to hear your input though
K3-200 is nice as long as you have room for it

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do think its super easy to install an auto shut off in the cup for cheap something like this will help eliminate overflows, just drill a hole in the skimmer cup, screw in the ato unit, super glue the bottom one in the up position (will keep skimmer on always), and the top is the emergency that will shut off in case it starts to overflow, just an option to have in mind, im sure someone sells a better diy one somewhere (i dont trust optical ato in a skimmer)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back