PNS Yello Sno and Pro Bio

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using pns after my 3rd dose. The morning after my 3rd dose of PNS many sps frags started to get STN... not sure if it was caused by the PNS but I'm not taking any chances. I didn't see any benefit to my corals or tank after dosing the first two times. I did two 50% water changes back to back and it stopped the STN.

Sorry to hear that, I had been using PNS Probio for well over two months with what appeared to be little results based on my PO4 and NO3 test.

I ended up doing an ICP test to figure out what may be going on as well. It turned out I had usually high levels of trace metals due to a faulty pump.

Now my I seeing results that was expected with bacteria and carbon dosing.

Hopefully your water changes help remedied your STN, I know it can be frustrating.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving old thread to say that I have numerous species of goniopora/bernardpora and they absolutely go crazy when I broadcast PNS yellow sno. I've never seen such pronounced feeding response from flowerpots!
Thank you! Very awesome. Was just in a convo with a new customer who wants to use this to revive some gonis.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something new... Includes both Rhodopseudomonas and Rhodospirillum.

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something new... Includes both Rhodopseudomonas and Rhodospirillum.
Would this be an addition to ProBio? Or different? What would your recommendation be for dosing?

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be an addition to ProBio? Or different? What would your recommendation be for dosing?
It's mainly for new tanks or disrupted tanks with ammonia/nitrite issues. But definitely could be used in addition to ProBio, particularly if you want to attempt to add Rhodospirillum to your microbial community. Same dose!

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria served as a type of probiotic and to help with overall coral health as the bacteria forms a relationship with the bacteria living within the Coral. Also aids in reducing nutrient levels but not as drastic as most bottled bacteria are. The sno is more of a food product but is also based with the same bacteria so I use it rarely as it boosts nutrient levels as well. Overall corals seem healthy while using it. Great for sps too.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to try the new PNS substrate sauce. I was hoping Alagebarn has it for sale already.
It's mainly for new tanks or disrupted tanks with ammonia/nitrite issues. But definitely could be used in addition to ProBio, particularly if you want to attempt to add Rhodospirillum to your microbial community. Same dose!
Can I use at same time as ProBio? Is Rhodospirillum dependent on Vitamin B like ProBio?

Last edited:

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to try the new PNS substrate sauce. I was hoping Alagebarn has it for sale already.

Can I use at same time as ProBio? Is Rhodospirillum dependent on Vitamin B like ProBio?
Yes, you can use these two products together. Rhodospirillum definitely benefits from the addition of Bs... From what I've seen, biotin (at least) is a growth factor for them.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kenneth Wingerter

I placed my order for two bottles of PNS Substrate Sauce from algaebarn on Tuesday night and it arrived today.
Opened the box, and got sent out PNS Probio insteado_O.

Man, it felt like opening up present to find a lump of coal. Just wanted to let you know how excited I was ready to try the new Substrate Sauce.;Nailbiting

Is it me or am I wrong, but I feel that the concentration of PNS Probio looks to be more and darker in the newer bottles than the older larger bottles? Longer shelf life too?

The PNS Yellow Sno also looks yellower too?

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, it's more like you just got two Christmases, because AlgaeBarn will certainly re-send the Sauce for free (have you contacted them yet?).

The new bottles (actually, original bottles, as these were the style we used when we first opened) are shorter and fatter, so it's possible that the product might look darker to some eyes. :) Same shelf life... Though they sell pretty fast these days, so maybe the exp date is a tad further out from shipping date than you're used to seeing? :)

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, it's more like you just got two Christmases, because AlgaeBarn will certainly re-send the Sauce for free (have you contacted them yet?).
I never thought of it that way! I did contact them, but since it is the weekend. I don't expect an answer until the next workday.

The new bottles (actually, original bottles, as these were the style we used when we first opened) are shorter and fatter, so it's possible that the product might look darker to some eyes. :) Same shelf life...
Now I have a total of 4 bottles of PNS Probio. Earlier in the week I had to order two bottles of PNS Probio to restock.
Then later in the week, PNS Substrate Sauce became available. I quickly ordered that with another bottle of Yello SNO.

I think the people at algaebarn were so use to shipping out PNS Probio and Yello SNO, it was just a "natural conditioning" response to ship Probio instead of the new Substrate Sauce.

Well, I better behave until I get my new bottles again, otherwise Santa may send me more lumps of coal.:oops:

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I have a total of 4 bottles of PNS Probio. Earlier in the week I had to order two bottles of PNS Probio to restock.
Then later in the week, PNS Substrate Sauce became available. I quickly ordered that with another bottle of Yello SNO.

I think the people at algaebarn were so use to shipping out PNS Probio and Yello SNO, it was just a "natural conditioning" response to ship Probio instead of the new Substrate Sauce.

Ha, I think you're right. Their warehouse workers are extremely hardworking (I bring them cookies every Christmas haha), but I suppose sometimes the monotony and sheer volume of orders they have to process/package just gets overwhelming. At least you'll be super-stocked on your supply of PNS products! :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back