Pocillopora Coloration

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a bit of googling. A thread on rc suggests low nutrients, lack of feeding, mg, iodine, Fe, and lighting all can effect coral color.

Am still searching for the correct formulae..... any further input on how to manipulate pocilliopora colors would be appreciated........ :D

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen pocillipora become a very light lime-green color, you can find some examples that look just like yours in google photos, but it's much less common than a blue-tip pocillipora or just the normal green varieties. I don't think it's because you have something "wrong" with your water but your lighting does look fairly strong as that frogspawn has some pretty light purple tips as well.

OP
OP
Havoks

Havoks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was the darker green for a year with my current lights, it was after an a/c failure and my water temp going up to 97 degrees that the color change occured. I was without a/c for 3 and a half days. Lost three blastos that time, everything else survived.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green Poci frag for about 4 months maybe and i had the same experience as you (from what i've gathered from skimming through). I just now started to see it get it's color back while growing a bit over the frag plug.

I think what happened to me was a combination of clean water and too bright lights. I started feeding the tank more, did less water changes and dramatically lowered the lights during the course of a couple of months.

I have a Aquamaxx prism that sits maybe 4 inches from the water surface, i believe my white intensity is 11% and my blues are 73%. I think my phosphate ( last i checked a week ago) is at .02-.03

I have been manually dosing Reef Energy A & B every night and i think it's been helping quite a bit.

I came back from xmas break last night and some the Poci and birdnests weren't opened up like usual. Maybe they are going through reef energy withdrawal or i need to do a water change (most likely the case).

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back