Pod Control?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodyRVA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 12, 2015
Messages
2,599
Reaction score
1,628
Location
Wilmington, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a massive population of pods, which I thought was a good thing? I currently have no predators in the system to eat them, thus they are well over populated. My Zoas have began randomly melting, closing, etc. and i've been told the excessive amount of pods may be the culprit.

My question: will a mandarin eat these pods?

I'm told I have amphipods, not copepods. I don't care if the mandarin can't eat the large ones. In fact, thats a good thing, let the big guys alone to keep the population up so the mandarin doesn't wipe them out, assuming the mandarin will eat them at all.

Before everyone recommends a wrasse, I have an 80G rimless for a display with zero desire to cover it, so i'm sure any wrasse is going to "make the jump" sooner or later, hence my appeal to a mandarin.

If there are any other options lets hear them! :cool:


13138921_10208712538388945_325383509382130619_n_zpstcptbjq4.jpg
 
My fire fish eat the smaller ones, the mandarins cant get the big ones in their mouths yet. My royal gramma LOVES them. The big amphipods like that make a crunch sound when she gets them.
 
My fire fish eat the smaller ones, the mandarins cant get the big ones in their mouths yet. My royal gramma LOVES them. The big amphipods like that make a crunch sound when she gets them.

Fire fish are jumpers though aren't they? I know theres a risk for any fish to jump, but obviously some are more prone. If a mandarin merely knocked the population back vs wiping it out I would be happy. Royal Gramma might be a good choice, is it common for them to go after pods?
 
Fire fish are jumpers though aren't they? I know theres a risk for any fish to jump, but obviously some are more prone. If a mandarin merely knocked the population back vs wiping it out I would be happy. Royal Gramma might be a good choice, is it common for them to go after pods?
I dont know really. In the ocean everything eats everything for the most part.. But I believe its common for them to eat small crustaceans. Mandys do come with thier own challenges.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new