POLL - Alkalinity - What do you keep your tank at?

What do you keep your Alkalinity at?

• Total voters

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to see what most people keep their Alkalinity at since most guides say between 7-11 or 7-12

Whereas they always say 450 exactly for Calcium and 1350 for Magnesium.

Please participate in the Poll.

Please Post why you keep your Alkalinity at that Level too.

Less then 7.0
Above 12.0

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are saying it is not something to concern yourself with or once you arrive at stability you just no longer check?

It is very important to keep at appropriate levels. Probably the single most important after salinity and temp. But I've been keeping the tank using limewater in an ATO for 19 years. For a number of years I did track it, and it was nearly always in what I consider a safe range (7-11 dKH), so I stopped measuring it. Still, once in a great while I did test it again and it was still OK.

That said, it is not a heavy SPS tank so the demand is not especially high. If it were, I would probably measure it occasionally to make sure I was keeping up with growth. :)

Last edited:

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep mine around 7.5 in my SPS system because it seems to give me better color and when I've let it get higher I've had problems with montis and acros getting alk burn. But in my zoa tank I keep it around 8-9 to help with ph

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping this system at 10.5 dKH with an API test kit for years, but lately have got the nutrient level lower in the tank, and some acros do look a little faded. Should I run the alkalinity lower to get the color back? Am I getting "alk burn"? (10.5 on an API kit, and 11.8 on my Seachem Total alaklinity kit.) Years ago I was told at a LFS that API kit showed about 1 dKH higher than what it really was, so I thought that I was running about 9.5.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for some reason it wont let me qoute your post"dfw" but if your noticing alk burn on sps i would bring it down slowly. every system is different you may not need to go all the way down to 8. id drop 1 dkh slowly and see if that helps any. there may be better advice so wait for others to chime in

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for some reason it wont let me qoute your post"dfw" but if your noticing alk burn on sps i would bring it down slowly. every system is different you may not need to go all the way down to 8. id drop 1 dkh slowly and see if that helps any. there may be better advice so wait for others to chime in

Thanks! Will wait!

Ep3n3wp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine at 9-10(usually higher 9) but I think I'm gonna shoot for low 9... Some of my chalices don't look happy lately(faded looking/ghosting)
But my Calcium and Mag is usually on the low side...

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No higher than 9 for and I run biopellets. I shoot for a range and not a specific number because you'll drive yourself crazy trying to get that specific number

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a higher nutrient in my SPS reef so I run 9-9.5dkh with great results. Usually there is a correlation between ulns tanks and low dkh + the opposite.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very important to keep at appropriate levels. Probably the single most important after salinity and temp. But I've been keeping the tank using limewater in an ATO for 19 years. For a number of years I did track it, and it was nearly always in what I consider a safe range (7-11 dKH), so I stopped measuring it. Still, once in a great while I did test it again and it was still OK.

That said, it is not a heavy SPS tank so the demand is not especially high. If it were, I would probably measure it occasionally to make sure I was keeping up with growth. :)

What size tank do you have?

Do you have more than 1 Tank?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping this system at 10.5 dKH with an API test kit for years, but lately have got the nutrient level lower in the tank, and some acros do look a little faded. Should I run the alkalinity lower to get the color back? Am I getting "alk burn"? (10.5 on an API kit, and 11.8 on my Seachem Total alaklinity kit.) Years ago I was told at a LFS that API kit showed about 1 dKH higher than what it really was, so I thought that I was running about 9.5.

I would use Salifert not API

I have seen API off by as much as 4 points.

API is really really random.

I do not trust it for Alkalinity (The same goes for Calcium - I have seen it off by as much as 120 points).

I would use Salifert for Alkalinity, Calcium, and Phosphate.

API is fine for the basic tests though.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 36 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back