Poll: Do you have a clam in your reef or not? If not what is your reasoning?

Do you have a clam in your reef or not? If not what is your reasoning?

• Yes, if yes please post how many? Pic's are great too!

Votes: 96 63.6%
  • No, please tell us why not?

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • No, but I plan to get one or ten, tell us what types?

Votes: 31 20.5%

• Total voters

Salty Rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20141029_135458.jpg
20141029_135323.jpg

My clam.

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a couple clams. A couple years ago i got some 'tonga nassaurius" that were whelks. Yup, nailed it. For all you clam lovers, please check your nassaurius snails!

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have three. My favorite is my Derasa. Also have two gold Maximas and getting a Ultra Blue in soon. I find these hardier than most of the SPS I keep. Very forgiving to nitrates and phosphates IMO.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415274447285.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415274447285.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 219
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415274479218.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415274479218.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 224

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 10. Mostly Red Sea Maximas.
On the look for a Gigantea and a few more colors.

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to have clams!! i have 2 at the moment an ORA black & White Maxima and an ultra Turquoise Maxima about 5.5" . Its big and i love it!! cant find those colors anywhere else in the ocean!

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! Only have a 10 gallon....unless there is a clam that is okay for a 10 gallon :smile:

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have one but I plan on getting one soon. I really like the ORA Black Maxima

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one before I knew my lights were sub-par...

soon, I'm currently working with DCFS to get a clamily going when I have the proper living conditions.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clam

I used to keep 13 clams in a 65g haha. I had maximas, deresas, croceas and squamosa clams. My fav out of all are now prob the smallest maxima clams from the coco islands. Here is one i recently purchased

IMG_9306.jpg

Maximas can be placed on the sand bed? I'm starting to educate myself on clams and hopefully buy one in a month if it works for me. All I have read so far is deresas are the only ones good for sand beds.

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maximas can be placed on the sand bed? I'm starting to educate myself on clams and hopefully buy one in a month if it works for me. All I have read so far is deresas are the only ones good for sand beds.
I have my maxima in the bed. That's in a 90 gallon do it's ~21" from the surface. I originally had it at the mid point, but it somehow came off and landed in the sandbed. It's been there every since. (Clam is only about 2.5 inches).

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gigas and Derasa
attachment.php

I've had the Gigas for almost 7 years and the Derasa for 2 years. For me they add a beautiful flare to a tank. I am a huge fan of keeping clams in reefs. I've had a number of them through the years.

July 2007
3.5" Derasa
attachment.php

April 2010
Same Derasa 12"
attachment.php

June 2012 (left to right) 8"Teardrop Maxima, Then 18" Gigas, 6" Squamosa, and 16" Squamosa
attachment.php

Last edited:

Steve Ruddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have always had clams in my tanks. For some reason they have never hit the overpriced market and imo have the most value for price point. No $500 plus for 1/2 piece of hype here! :) Here are a few from my old tank including a rare Blue Derasa. New tank has 15 ORA clams will post photo on clam forum later.

108-0819_IMG.jpg

109-0971_IMG.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many clams over the years. My green crocea was with me for over 9 years (got it full grown) and it died slowly rather than quickly as normally they do if sick or damaged.My gold about 2 years. Not sure the cause of death. Again, gone.

My first derasa lasted 5 years because it actually snapped itself and tore itself down the middle. It was huge and something made it jump. Crazyl. I got some picks of the tear. Took 3 days till it died. Poor baby.

My maxima luck is not so good. I had a nice 7" one for 6 months then up and died while I was on vacation. I have had little 1" ones that made it a few months. Now I have 1 2" one that I hope is doing well. Had it two months now. The other 2" died when I again left and it fell over. Maximas I find are very sensitive to being moved at all. If you let them be, they will do much better. Every time I get mine moved by critter or me, it is to its demise.

I now have a baby derasa that is only 3" and love it. I missed my old one. I also have a huge squamosa that when I got about 2 years ago was maybe 3.5". It is now well over 9".

I want another crocea, but I will not buy online and have not been able to find one to my satisfaction. :)

Here are some pics over different times.
IMG_5764.JPG

Gold Crocea 5.5"

derasa.jpg

Derasa at maybe 7"
DSC_0444.JPG

Derasa when first got it. What a baby!
DSC_0474_18.JPG

Green Crocea (looked purple or blue depending on light) and baby maxima (made it only a month or so)
IMG_5707.JPG

Super cool maxima that my inhabitant bugged and it eventually passed on.
maxima3-12.JPG

Large Maxima that made it 6 months
20140831_140900.jpg

Sorry, upside down squamosa when it was young. Cannot find recent pic.

crocea1-12.JPG

Another shot of my first crocea (green guy). See how the colors change?

Steve Ruddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the Gigas for almost 7 years and the Derasa for 2 years. For me they add a beautiful flare to a tank. I am a huge fan of keeping clams in reefs. I've had a number of them through the years.

Love that derasa in the cap!

I have had many clams over the years. My green crocea was with me for over 9 years (got it full grown) and it died slowly rather than quickly as normally they do if sick or damaged.My gold about 2 years. Not sure the cause of death. Again, gone.

My first derasa lasted 5 years because it actually snapped itself and tore itself down the middle. It was huge and something made it jump. Crazyl. I got some picks of the tear. Took 3 days till it died. Poor baby.

My maxima luck is not so good. I had a nice 7" one for 6 months then up and died while I was on vacation. I have had little 1" ones that made it a few months. Now I have 1 2" one that I hope is doing well. Had it two months now. The other 2" died when I again left and it fell over. Maximas I find are very sensitive to being moved at all. If you let them be, they will do much better. Every time I get mine moved by critter or me, it is to its demise.

I now have a baby derasa that is only 3" and love it. I missed my old one. I also have a huge squamosa that when I got about 2 years ago was maybe 3.5". It is now well over 9".

I want another crocea, but I will not buy online and have not been able to find one to my satisfaction. :)

Looks like you have been at it a long time! Nice collection, I like the blue derasa. I haven't seen many with them.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was so bland when I got it, but as it grew it got very colorful and really amazing. Hard to tell it is a derasa in that pic, but it was. :) My current derasa is a baby and I hope to get it to turn the nice colors of my last one. I think a lot of it is light. So, fingers crossed this guy does not tear itself when it gets large.

I found that with the babies, you need to stir up your tank a bit every other day or so. Use a turkey baster and blow the sand and rocks. This puts lots of crud in the water and the clams love it!

Steve Ruddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was so bland when I got it, but as it grew it got very colorful and really amazing. Hard to tell it is a derasa in that pic, but it was. :) My current derasa is a baby and I hope to get it to turn the nice colors of my last one. I think a lot of it is light. So, fingers crossed this guy does not tear itself when it gets large.

I found that with the babies, you need to stir up your tank a bit every other day or so. Use a turkey baster and blow the sand and rocks. This puts lots of crud in the water and the clams love it!

That's funny about just getting a baby derasa. I just got one one a few days ago myself. It's about 2.5" and has the tiger stripe pattern.

Good advice about the sand stirring. I do the same and agree.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a small 2" blue squamosa. I might buy more in the future, I'm just waiting to see if I have any clam nippers first (after I get all of the potential nippers in my tank).

Somewhat dated photo.
18684309543_5438c678b8_o.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back