Votes: 22 3.1%

• Total voters

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the UK and although I could do with one in the summer months, i manage to get away with a pedestal fan pointing at the top of the tank which will reduce the temperature by 3-4c if needed.

The only reason i don't have a chiller is because of the heat output they produce into my living room, and for the few months its needed I can get away with a fan. For the moment anyway!

Any time you can get by with a fan instead of a chiller you should do so. Chillers are huge energy sinks, and as others have pointed out they simply add heat to the room they’re in, so unless you have the chiller unit outside, you cool the tank at the expense of heating the room.

Other things to consider are changing the plumbing so the pump is external, and switching from Halides to T5s or LEDs. (I know lighting is akin to religion, but halides and to a much lower extent T5s do heat up the tank. If you are considering getting a chiller, you can probably pay for new lighting with the energy savings.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no need for one, which is now the case after changing all my tanks over to Radions. I still run a pair of T5’s for 4 hours on the display to help with shading.

Up until I changed over, I had to use a chiller on both my display and frag tank which in turn heated the house so my central A/C would run more during the hot months. My living room and frag tank room were still miserable during the summer even with the A/C, unless I wanted to turn the A/C way low Over 80 degrees while the rest of the house was 77 or less. Not to mention the increased ambient noise from the chiller.

I finally was satisfied with the capabilities of LED for SPS after visiting World Wide Corals this February. With my house at 77-78 my tank hits a max of 79.5 during the day with a small 2 fan sump fan and a pair of Ice Cap fans in the canopy. My house is the same comfortable temperature in every room.

If I ever find the need for a chiller again it is definitely going outside.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last home had no insulation and, though it was in the Bay Area, it got really warm on hot days and I needed a chiller. My new home is insulated and also has AC. It is also two stories and downstairs where the tank is tends to stay cooler. So far, I have not had a need for a chiller in the new home.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Los Angeles and my chiller kicks on 6-7 month a year.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should probably add my chillers kicked in year round. During the winter months they were running 3-4 times a day, and during the summer 10-15 times a day. On at 80, off at 79.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrapped 500' of 1/2" PEX around my foundation when I built. (Shoulda used 3/4", oh well it works) I have 100' 1/2" PEX coiled in my sump that's connected to the foundation PEX as a heat exchanger. My tank is cooled for the cost of running a water pump. The pump is controlled with a Ranco.
BTW, by opening and closing valves, the heat exchanger is connected to a tankless water heater so I heat with gas.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrapped 500' of 1/2" PEX around my foundation when I built. (Shoulda used 3/4", oh well it works) I have 100' 1/2" PEX coiled in my sump that's connected to the foundation PEX as a heat exchanger. My tank is cooled for the cost of running a water pump. The pump is controlled with a Ranco.
BTW, by opening and closing valves, the heat exchanger is connected to a tankless water heater so I heat with gas.
I was thinking of doing this but putting the coil in the ground about 2 feet down. When we by our next house I may do that just in case

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. 16 oz pop bottles rinsed out with labels removed, fill with water (keep caps lose!) and freeze. Drop a couple in the sump before I leave for work if its a hot day. Isn't perfect, but works well enough for my 65gl.

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tired of always chasing temps and worrying. gets hot and cold here. I bought a teco heater/chiller combo and no more issues. best reef $$$ I spent imo

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used a chiller. I either put a fan on the tank or kick on the AC. It doesnt ever get hot enough in wisconsin to justify a chiller.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no need for one, which is now the case after changing all my tanks over to Radions. I still run a pair of T5’s for 4 hours on the display to help with shading.

Up until I changed over, I had to use a chiller on both my display and frag tank which in turn heated the house so my central A/C would run more during the hot months. My living room and frag tank room were still miserable during the summer even with the A/C, unless I wanted to turn the A/C way low Over 80 degrees while the rest of the house was 77 or less. Not to mention the increased ambient noise from the chiller.

I finally was satisfied with the capabilities of LED for SPS after visiting World Wide Corals this February. With my house at 77-78 my tank hits a max of 79.5 during the day with a small 2 fan sump fan and a pair of Ice Cap fans in the canopy. My house is the same comfortable temperature in every room.

If I ever find the need for a chiller again it is definitely going outside.

If you can place the chiller outside, or even in the garage, that's definitely the way to go.

The power/heat differential between metal halides and T5/LED lighting is pretty evident to most people, but what's not quite so obvious is the difference between T5 and LED. Even though they consume similar amounts of power for the same light output, LEDs still contribute less to heating the tank since they generate less IR radiation directed at the tank. The majority of the heat produced by LEDs is by the power supply and the LED's themselves which is typically radiated out the top by the heat sinks.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best reef $$$ I spent imo

+1. I originally thought I'd just rely on my house AC until it went out while i was gone over a long weekend. I can't imagine losing a mature tank over something so easy to prevent with a chiller (luckily my tank was still cycling during this time).

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I originally thought I'd just rely on my house AC until it went out while i was gone over a long weekend. I can't imagine losing a mature tank over something so easy to prevent with a chiller (luckily my tank was still cycling during this time).

That thought is still nagging me for sure, thats why I haven't pulled the trigger to sell my chillers yet. I have a new A/C unit, it is just turning 2 years old this summer. When my old A/C went out - I knew it was coming as it was getting weaker- I was also out of town on vacation during 100 degree days. My house got so hot inside that candles drooped and slumped over. Without a doubt I would have lost almost everything.

The only reason I say almost is my nano in the bedroom had 2 clowns, many anemones, zoas, shrooms, and a frogspawn in it, no chiller, and they all made it and are still here today. It is also a low heat system, just a circulation pump and a Kessil 160 for lighting.

Bottom line, it is a very good idea to keep one running as backup in hot climates at least in the summer. I live in Redding, CA and it gets hot here. Usually over 100 degrees most of July and August.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in MI and I don’t use a chiller. Even when I lived in AZ I depended on my AC and not a chiller

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in AZ my AC broke and was out of commission for a week. When had 110 temps. I shut off my lights and installed two fans over the tank. My tank temp never got over 88 and I didn’t lose any fish, corals or inverts

PEP12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the south of the UK, and both of my tanks are in a room with a south facing window even when the black out blinds are used the heat from the sun in the summer months raises the temperature a lot, I have a chiller on both tanks controlled via an apex and this keeps the water temperature where I want it and the chillers do not give out much heat when they are running, could not be without them

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in AZ my AC broke and was out of commission for a week. When had 110 temps. I shut off my lights and installed two fans over the tank. My tank temp never got over 88 and I didn’t lose any fish, corals or inverts
There is definitely something to the 'dry heat' in AZ - evaporative cooling actually works! I was visiting a friend north of Phoenix one summer and we were outside working in the afternoon. It was somewhere around 106º F with a nice breeze. As long as you kept your head covered you never got sweaty and sticky and didn't overheat, either. It was really strange for me as I'm used to much more humid MN summers.

How many gallons did you have to replace in your top off tank during that time?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back