Poll: Do you use the various modes on your Ecotech return pump?

Do you use the various modes on your Ecotech Return pump?

• I do

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I do not

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • If i had one I would

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • If I had one I would not

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don't want one

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
U

User1

View Badges
I’ve been meaning to ask you how you like the COR? I think you’ve been running them for while?

I have been. I've been running one Cor 15 since they launched. I picked up a second one about a month later. The Cor 20 was more of an impulse purchase when they went on sale for the same price as the Cor 15 :)

To be honest I can't say how they actually work with regards to flow other than they all appear to be running consistently. Not a specific answer I'm sorry but I do not have a flow meter or anything to really judge. Originally my thought was to use 1 cor 15 to power 2 sea swirls. I don't think it was perfect thus adding a second pump. This way I also have two in case one goes bad. Also the reason why I switched the mag 1200 on my skimmer with a cor. Swap if ever needed.

The only thing I can compare it to is:

Mag 1200, 1800
Iwaki Japenese
Jebao DCT 15000

Iwaki is top notch with what I've used previously for AC. Rock solid and never had any issues with them due to the pump or user error. When I did have a problem back in 2000 - 2001 it was due to power outages, brown outs, back to back (ty very much ENRON) which tripped the AC, house became hot obviously, water evaporated faster, top off ran dry, and I was on vacation (family reunion) so no backup. Sump ran dry so the pump froze and obviously that was my tank crash :) Really liked it though. Jeff @ lifereef is who recommended them at the time and I thought they are good.

Mag 1200 and 1800 - never had any issues with them.

Jebao DCT 15000 was supposed to be this tanks (210 upgrade) return pump. It moved water very well. Silent. Priced right. However, it is a piece of dog poo. First encounter used the handle - it really isn't a handle but leads you to believe it is a handle - and it snapped off and fell on the ground. No big deal. Connected it for tanks leak check, worked great. Moved into the house and I noticed water out the neck top bulk head. Upon further look it was separating just below the threads and the pumps body. Disconnected everything and looked deeper. Sure enough, small separation so toss.

Here is the issue with the DCT series. I replaced it with the Cor 15. If you own a Cor you probably know when I say the body is thick. I mean super thick. Mold or 3D printed I'm not sure which but it is thick. Heavy. The DCT 15000 paper thin body. Hostess cup cake holder thin. Night and day how the bodies are created but I guess when you pay 100 dollar premium that would be one reason why.

Anyway TL;DR - the pumps have been really good to me so far. Cleaning them one time I did get an over current ! error. This was due to the o-ring when I put it back together. Now I use o-ring grease and never had it repeat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back