Poll: Do you use the various modes on your Ecotech return pump?

Do you use the various modes on your Ecotech Return pump?

• I do

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I do not

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • If i had one I would

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • If I had one I would not

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don't want one

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next build is several months out, and while doing what i usually do (shopping for things i can not afford) I always see Vectra return pumps popping up in adds and whatnot.

But I've always be curious, what is the point of the different modes? If it were back in the day, when closed-loop was popular, i could see why the would be desirable. And I certainty see the benifit of these modes for a powerhead.

That said, who uses things like pulse-mode on a return pump? I'd imagine the flow through the overflow/sump would be very inconsistent?

Do any of you use these pulse/reef/lagoon style modes on your pump? If so, how do you tend to use it and what benifits do you see compared to other DC pumps?

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank employs the use of a closed loop and for me It's wonderfully valuable. Still not 100% settled on a pump but the M2 is promising. As for a Return pump, the only value I can see is it can make it easier to tune your flow to match your drain when setting it up the first time. Also good to use on a reactor or UV setup when you're trying to get a specific flow rate through a specific media or UV Reactor..

steve bergmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Vectra for my tank and use it in a long pulse mode. I figure the more you can create inconsistent water patterns the better. I have an SPS dominated tank. Here is a video of the tank from Jan. 2019:

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, I kind of misread your post. I didnt realize you were talking about return pumps. I only have Ecotech power heads.

Ha! no worries lol

I just changed the title to make it more clear :)

EDIT: I wonder if the #MODS can add the word 'return' to the poll question?

Last edited:

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said, who uses things like pulse-mode on a return pump? I'd imagine the flow through the overflow/sump would be very inconsistent?
Ive used vectras as return pumps on quite a few builds and have never used any of the different flow modes, for the exact reason you mention. I imagine that the other modes would create the potential for the sump level to be inconsistent and cause skimmers to go nuts. I assume those other modes are for a closed loop.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 M2 pumps, one is the sump return pump, the other is running my accessory manifold. The accessory pump circulates water in the sump. From the return section back to the drain side. It’s feeding the UV and Algae scrubber. One of the things I care about is a steady flow at a specific setting. If I just blindly drive both pumps at full speed I can overdrive the flow rate of my sump.

I like and use the feed mode setting on Reeflink. It works in conjunction with my MP40s and M2 return pump. Not a fan of the GHL feed mode as it doesn’t work with the return pumps. I’m bring that up as you also use GHL.

I do use the battery back up function on my return pump. I believe keeping some flow in a power outage is vital to keeping tank health during an emergency.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my apex change through pretty much ALL the modes it has to offer throughout the day/night. Really makes it versatile

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 M2 pumps, one is the sump return pump, the other is running my accessory manifold. The accessory pump circulates water in the sump. From the return section back to the drain side. It’s feeding the UV and Algae scrubber. One of the things I care about is a steady flow at a specific setting. If I just blindly drive both pumps at full speed I can overdrive the flow rate of my sump.

I like and use the feed mode setting on Reeflink. It works in conjunction with my MP40s and M2 return pump. Not a fan of the GHL feed mode as it doesn’t work with the return pumps. I’m bring that up as you also use GHL.

I do use the battery back up function on my return pump. I believe keeping some flow in a power outage is vital to keeping tank health during an emergency.

I like having a physical switch for feed mode and water changes so ill probably go that route. I didn't think of the battery backup though. Having powerheads on is one thing, but having it for the overall return flow/sump would be great.

Do you use a slower flow at night or is it constant 24/7?

U

User1

View Badges
If you are a scuba diver even on a calm day the current and motion under the water is there.

Having said that I do not own ecotech pumps but on my 40 breeder I had a pair of Jebao RW 8's that I had connected up to my Reef Angel controller. I would alternate between reef crest, pulse, both full power for short bursts, and nutrient transport mode after a heavy feeding.

With my upgrade I was using a pair of Cor 15's to ramp up and down over 24 hours to simulate tides and flow in the tank. Worked well. However as you pointed out it would alternate the sump height and my ATO would trigger and cause issues when the two lower points in time intersected. If I was smart, and I wasn't at the time, I probably could have coded the ATO only to run at X time. I may still do this because I saw some really nice polyp extension going on with this setup.

Today I just use a virtual outlet and left or right pump come on. All in all I think if this is something you have designed for, regardless of brand, then take advantage of it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the variable modes on my M1, but it is used on a closed loop. Some of us still run them LOL. I cannot, however, see any utility for variable modes in a standard return application. I still use uber-reliable external AC pumps as my return.

U

User1

View Badges
I use the variable modes on my M1, but it is used on a closed loop. Some of us still run them LOL. I cannot, however, see any utility for variable modes in a standard return application. I still use uber-reliable external AC pumps as my return.

If you have two returns using DC pumps then you could configure them to alternate left/right to simulate tides. Granted power heads can do similar but it does give another degree of changing flow. Again, this all depends on how the tank is plumbed, etc.

At least that is how I use them anyway and may be odd man out.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to dial them in with enough precision to essentially keep the summed flow at a set level (anti-synch)? Or do they mess with your drains?

U

User1

View Badges
Are you able to dial them in with enough precision to essentially keep the summed flow at a set level (anti-synch)? Or do they mess with your drains?

If this was to me my first attempt the answer was no. In the example below the points that intersect would change my sump level and kick in the ATO. If I was smarter then I would have coded it such that the ATO only checks at the peaks. At least try to code that.

Now I'm using a virtual outlet with the OSC function to alternate left/right side. That code is basic and it works. Sump doesn't change and ATO is steady.

Virtual outlet: Tide
OSC 000:00/360:00/360:00 Then ON

Cor 20 example:
Fallback ON
Set 55
If Output TideTiming = ON Then 45

In any case I like the original thought I had just need to be smarter with the ATO timing and maybe a better sump. I'm looking at changing my sump to something a bit larger and more flexible. I'm just not sure what that is and it needs to be somewhat on a budget thus me looking at a rubbermaid stock tank.

1570717002316.png

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having a physical switch for feed mode and water changes so ill probably go that route. I didn't think of the battery backup though. Having powerheads on is one thing, but having it for the overall return flow/sump would be great.

Do you use a slower flow at night or is it constant 24/7?
With the Red Sea overflow system you want to keep the flow steady. Otherwise it starts to sound like a toilet flushing.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are a scuba diver even on a calm day the current and motion under the water is there.

Having said that I do not own ecotech pumps but on my 40 breeder I had a pair of Jebao RW 8's that I had connected up to my Reef Angel controller. I would alternate between reef crest, pulse, both full power for short bursts, and nutrient transport mode after a heavy feeding.

With my upgrade I was using a pair of Cor 15's to ramp up and down over 24 hours to simulate tides and flow in the tank. Worked well. However as you pointed out it would alternate the sump height and my ATO would trigger and cause issues when the two lower points in time intersected. If I was smart, and I wasn't at the time, I probably could have coded the ATO only to run at X time. I may still do this because I saw some really nice polyp extension going on with this setup.

Today I just use a virtual outlet and left or right pump come on. All in all I think if this is something you have designed for, regardless of brand, then take advantage of it.

I’ve been meaning to ask you how you like the COR? I think you’ve been running them for while?

Back