Poll: How often do you change your DI resin?

How often do your change your DI Resin?

• < 3 months

Votes: 116 18.3%
  • 3-4 months

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • 5-7 months

Votes: 145 22.8%
  • 8-10 months

Votes: 55 8.7%
  • 11-12 months

Votes: 95 15.0%
  • > 12 months

Votes: 123 19.4%

• Total voters

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is VERY low dissolved solids - anyone know the relationship to TDS?

I'm not familiar with that measurement but from googling it would seem that 1uS/cm is equivalent to .64ppm, but this is coming from someone who had never heard of it 5 minutes ago.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just used my school's Vernier conductivity probe and it read at 1-2 uS/cm. This is after replacement of the sediment and carbon filter, but I left the above DI resin on the system.

I think this is VERY low dissolved solids - anyone know the relationship to TDS? I'll have to do some investigation.
The point of the DI chamber is to knock your TDS down to 0, assuming your RO membranes have not already accomplished that.
So as long as TDS is 0, after going through DI, you should be OK.
I also have low TDS in my tap water and have only had to change my DI cartridge once in 5+ years.
Then again I have a Nano tank. If you have a much bigger system and do frequent water changes you may need to change out your DI more often.
Hope this helps.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point of the DI chamber is to knock your TDS down to 0, assuming your RO membranes have not already accomplished that.
So as long as TDS is 0, after going through DI, you should be OK.
I also have low TDS in my tap water and have only had to change my DI cartridge once in 5+ years.
Then again I have a Nano tank. If you have a much bigger system and do frequent water changes you may need to change out your DI more often.
Hope this helps.
Super helpful - my system is 132 gallons and I have a few QT tanks. Visually, it looks like the DI resin is only ~50% spent.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that measurement but from googling it would seem that 1uS/cm is equivalent to .64ppm, but this is coming from someone who had never heard of it 5 minutes ago.
Just came to the same result. I'm going to monitor - I suspect this would read 0 on the traditional in-line TDS meters. In fact, it is on my in-line TDS meter but I'm not sure it's setup properly. I think a common mistake is installing the TDS in-line probes so they are perpendicular to the water's flow. If that makes sense.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back