Poll: How often do you change your DI resin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dbl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

How often do your change your DI Resin?

  • < 3 months

    Votes: 118 18.4%
  • 3-4 months

    Votes: 102 15.9%
  • 5-7 months

    Votes: 146 22.8%
  • 8-10 months

    Votes: 55 8.6%
  • 11-12 months

    Votes: 96 15.0%
  • > 12 months

    Votes: 124 19.3%

  • Total voters
    641
I think this is VERY low dissolved solids - anyone know the relationship to TDS?

I'm not familiar with that measurement but from googling it would seem that 1uS/cm is equivalent to .64ppm, but this is coming from someone who had never heard of it 5 minutes ago.
 
So I just used my school's Vernier conductivity probe and it read at 1-2 uS/cm. This is after replacement of the sediment and carbon filter, but I left the above DI resin on the system.

I think this is VERY low dissolved solids - anyone know the relationship to TDS? I'll have to do some investigation.
The point of the DI chamber is to knock your TDS down to 0, assuming your RO membranes have not already accomplished that.
So as long as TDS is 0, after going through DI, you should be OK.
I also have low TDS in my tap water and have only had to change my DI cartridge once in 5+ years.
Then again I have a Nano tank. If you have a much bigger system and do frequent water changes you may need to change out your DI more often.
Hope this helps.
 
The point of the DI chamber is to knock your TDS down to 0, assuming your RO membranes have not already accomplished that.
So as long as TDS is 0, after going through DI, you should be OK.
I also have low TDS in my tap water and have only had to change my DI cartridge once in 5+ years.
Then again I have a Nano tank. If you have a much bigger system and do frequent water changes you may need to change out your DI more often.
Hope this helps.
Super helpful - my system is 132 gallons and I have a few QT tanks. Visually, it looks like the DI resin is only ~50% spent.
 
I'm not familiar with that measurement but from googling it would seem that 1uS/cm is equivalent to .64ppm, but this is coming from someone who had never heard of it 5 minutes ago.
Just came to the same result. I'm going to monitor - I suspect this would read 0 on the traditional in-line TDS meters. In fact, it is on my in-line TDS meter but I'm not sure it's setup properly. I think a common mistake is installing the TDS in-line probes so they are perpendicular to the water's flow. If that makes sense.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new