Poll: How often do you change your DI resin?

How often do your change your DI Resin?

• < 3 months

Votes: 115 18.1%
  • 3-4 months

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • 5-7 months

Votes: 145 22.9%
  • 8-10 months

Votes: 55 8.7%
  • 11-12 months

Votes: 95 15.0%
  • > 12 months

Votes: 123 19.4%

• Total voters

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple question today - how often do you have to change your DI Resin. Many factors can dictate how quickly you have to change it, so feel free to discuss your situation. Others may have suggestions on how to possibly extend its life.
Because tap water has considerable amounts of minerals, main ro membrane and resins may last 2 years. Homes need a water softener to remove minerals BEFORE being water filtered by rodi filtration. A must, rarely done

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using two mixed bed color change DI cartridges after my RO and despite the RO producing ~3-4ppm water, my DI resin canisters were lasting only ~70 gallons. My problem is high CO2 in my source water (from a well)

I switched to a single color change Anion, to remove just the Co2, then the water goes to two mixed bed cartridges. I've noticed that the single bed anion is lasting much longer. I bet I've easily doubled the amount of water through it so far and it still has life to go.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, depends on the incoming water. Mine comes out of a whole house softener at about 350; is knocked down to 5-7 post the RO membrane; then to 0 post the dual DI canisters in series. I get about 250 gallons of water from a single DI charge.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed my DI resin again and its completely color changed after 65 gallons of water. Makes me real sad haha.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed my DI resin again and its completely color changed after 65 gallons of water. Makes me real sad haha.

Wow that terrible only after 65 gallons. Do you change your sediment filters as soon as it turn brownish orange? Also when was the last time you replaced you carbon block and flushed/changed your membrane(s)?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that terrible only after 65 gallons. Do you change your sediment filters as soon as it turn brownish orange? Also when was the last time you replaced you carbon block and flushed/changed your membrane(s)?
CO2 in your source water. RO membranes do not remove it.
Filled my tank last week of January 2020 I believe. ~90 gallons total. Have changed the DI resin just yesterday and refilled my 65g storage tank. Same RO membrane, carbon blocks x2 and sediment filter x1 since January. Any tips on getting it to last longer? IIRC I think living at my other location when I was in the hobby years ago I would get nearly half a year out of a DI resin filter.

City water. Main water line first runs through a water softener before going to the rest of the house which is empty when I got here. I haven't refilled it. Should I find some of the water softener salt to replace in there? I have a handheld TDS meter but need to find new batteries for it or I'd test the pre RO membrane water. TDS meter I have now is in-line on the RODI unit itself so not sure what my incoming water is.

Not that it's a huge deal, but it's still $14/mo in DI resin plus changing it every time I fill my reservoir. Have gone through 2 now since January. Would likely be more, but I've let the TDS creep up to 4 or so post-resin just to get more use out of it.

Last edited:

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it varies based on water quality and the amount of topoff water that gets used. Both of course vary year round. Short answer is I change the resin when the color completely changes. Save yourself some money and don't just buy it in a filter change kit or in small quantities. I usually buy the 1.5g/7.5 pound bag from BRS.

I also have a BRS 5 stage with sediment, 2x carbon, 2x membranes and then the RO.

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is not really a time-based decision. It should be changed out when the TDI of your output rises above 5% of the TDI of your input (or whatever % rejection you tolerate).

Its like asking someone how long do you cook steak for to get Medium rare........Temperature not time.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 stage Spectrapure 190 gallon unit and change the DI resin 6 - 8 months depending on use. If my TDS meter reads 1, then I swap it out.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on usage and number of stages. When I was prepping my tank I had a single DI cartridge. After about 600gallons I needed to change it. I upgraded to a 3 cartridge system (bought two more filter housings and added them in line.) now I would guess I’m upwards of 2000g and no need to change one yet.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have

Filled my tank last week of January 2020 I believe. ~90 gallons total. Have changed the DI resin just yesterday and refilled my 65g storage tank. Same RO membrane, carbon blocks x2 and sediment filter x1 since January. Any tips on getting it to last longer? IIRC I think living at my other location when I was in the hobby years ago I would get nearly half a year out of a DI resin filter.

City water. Main water line first runs through a water softener before going to the rest of the house which is empty when I got here. I haven't refilled it. Should I find some of the water softener salt to replace in there? I have a handheld TDS meter but need to find new batteries for it or I'd test the pre RO membrane water. TDS meter I have now is in-line on the RODI unit itself so not sure what my incoming water is.

Not that it's a huge deal, but it's still $14/mo in DI resin plus changing it every time I fill my reservoir. Have gone through 2 now since January. Would likely be more, but I've let the TDS creep up to 4 or so post-resin just to get more use out of it.

Maybe add more stages to the unit. On mine I have 2 DI Resin canisters, 2 carbon, and 1 sediment.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeking advice: I've run this DI membrane on low TDS water (after a 1 micron sediment and carbon filters) for about 10 months. Visually, my impression is that about half of the resin has been used up. Does this sound right?

My TDS is very low BUT I'm skeptical of my readings and need to reinstall all in-line meters.

Attachments

• DI Resin 1 year.jpg
    DI Resin 1 year.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 20

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever it changes color. My cities water sucks and even with 4 stage ro/di I can only get my tds down to 2. Sucks.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is a difference in the brand of di resin but mine goes from a much darker color to almost tan (similar to the darker color in you canister) when it's depleted. If mine were that color I'd assume its no longer helping, but you may want to decide based on what color your resin as when new.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeking advice: I've run this DI membrane on low TDS water (after a 1 micron sediment and carbon filters) for about 10 months
I also wouldn't put too much consideration in to the fact that it has been running for 10 months on that di, because it all depends on how much impurities make it past the membrane. I was well over a year before I had to change mine because the tds of the water out of my membrane was usually only 0-1.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wouldn't put too much consideration in to the fact that it has been running for 10 months on that di, because it all depends on how much impurities make it past the membrane. I was well over a year before I had to change mine because the tds of the water out of my membrane was usually only 0-1.
So I just used my school's Vernier conductivity probe and it read at 1-2 uS/cm. This is after replacement of the sediment and carbon filter, but I left the above DI resin on the system.

I think this is VERY low dissolved solids - anyone know the relationship to TDS? I'll have to do some investigation.

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a sediment 2 carbon and 3 ro membrane into 2 di cans I'm at close to 150gal and still getting 0tds water

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back