Poll: How old is your oldest SW fish? And what is it?

How old is your oldest SW fish? And what is it?

• Total voters

Jack Hellmuth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two clowns which I bought in 1992. The male died last year at age 25 and the female died 2 weeks ago at age 26. When I first got them my tank was basically fish only. After I retired 4 years ago and had more time, I paid more attention to water parameters, water changes and skimmer cleaning and have softies that seem happy. Why did they live so long? Beats me... Good genes maybe.

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your oldest SW fish?

I have a 6 1/2 year old Blue Hippo Tang...my success story is I bought as a 6 year old Blue Hippo Tang from someone else that was getting out of the hobby :)

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 years for my purple tang, my yellow tang i've had 6 years but he was an adult living in a frag tank at a lfs that was closing so he might even be older.

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior having made my current reef i had kept two $20 clowns from petland in a small 20L, since i was 6. they died two months before my high school graduation. Im now 20.. lol.

So.... 12 years... in my captivity. haha

Im now hoping for these two bonded clowns i have to live that long.

Terry aka Cr@sh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two clowns which I bought in 1992. The male died last year at age 25 and the female died 2 weeks ago at age 26. When I first got them my tank was basically fish only. After I retired 4 years ago and had more time, I paid more attention to water parameters, water changes and skimmer cleaning and have softies that seem happy. Why did they live so long? Beats me... Good genes maybe.

I also has a pair of peculiar clowns I bought 21 years ago. I gave them to my buddy for his tank years ago. He returned them with his tank and gave up the hobby. I still have them and they still lay eggs under a few rocks in back of tank. I now have them in a 55 with two red and green bubble tip anemones all to them selves. They are spoiled because their to aggressive or territorial to put in my reef tank.....now that would be funny if they outlive me being 57.

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's a yellow tang i bought 2 weeks after starting my first tank 13 years ago.
He was the sole survivor of a wipeout 6 years ago.
No particular tips, i feed a lot and include nori in the diet.
e80de96905d0a97b876dea5b56412501.jpg

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Gary in 2003

9e643581c7e230a36d613554d09e2b2e.jpg

Hi Gary!, triggers definetly seem to be the kind of fishs who need a name.
The only "named" fish i had over the years were 2 valentini puffer.
Ludo and Ludo the second, both decided on their own terms when they had enought of captivity life (yeah, they jumped).
I might name my copperband soon, he got a lot of personality.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 years, 9 months since I got her
1) True Percula Clown
2) Husbandry Tips: she's outlived every husband. I can't take credit, she's just tough.

Sonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oldest are: Green chromis, tomini tang, foxface, dispar and lyretail anthias. all 3 to 4 years old, the tank is 4 years old. So chromis then tomini were the very first added.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I was in a small Reef shop in Orlando, Fl about a year ago, and the guy there insisted their maroon Clown fish was 42 years old.

I wish I could remember the name of the shop.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I was in a small Reef shop in Orlando, Fl about a year ago, and the guy there insisted their maroon Clown fish was 42 years old.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%

Back