Poll: How old is your oldest SW fish? And what is it?

How old is your oldest SW fish? And what is it?

• Total voters

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two. First,a Purple Tang which I acquired some 19 years ago and second, a Striatus Bristletooth which I got six months later. No real tips: they're in a very large (500 g) and lightly populated tank and have always been fed a high quality, mostly frozen diet.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have had a pair of GSM clowns in 3 tanks. They spent 8 years in a 180 gallon tank, then another 8 years in a 240 gallon tank and now 4 years in my current 233 gallon tank.
I figure they were close to 1 year old when I got them from Flying Fish Express, so they are 20-21 years old.
When I first got them, they both had perfect gold stripes and were about 1" long. Now the female is 5" and bites like a demon.
The female remembers, every move I've put them through and hates me for it.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest (just got rid of a bit ago) was a royal gramma. He was with me for 3 tank upgrades, finally he got so aggressive I couldn't add new fish. He went back to the LFS (they agreed to take him back after 2 years).

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my oldest critter is a Coral Banded shrimp. I've had him 8-9 years. I bought him from a fellow reefer who had him for 2-3 years. When I got him his antenna spread was 6-7 inches. now in excess of 12 inches. I have no idea how long they live.
Fish wise is my Purple Tang. 8 years old.

Jpconer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest is an 12 or 13 yr old - 9" Masked Heniochus that I've had for over 11 yrs...I estestimate his(?) overall age since it was 4+ inches when he came home...

wooglins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of Black clownfish. 20+ or so years old. When I got them previous owner had them for 10 years. That was about 12 or so years ago.

rjdasilva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ocellaris is 12 years old. Happily living alone in my torch coral since I moved my bubble coral into wife’s tank. My coral beauty lived to 15 years. My Regal Tang is about 11 years.
I believe they’re doing well due to somewhat stable water parameters.

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female ocellaris clownfish I got in the mid nineties from a fellow hobbist who had it for at least 3 to 4 years. She was already full size. I guessing she is over 25. I paired it up with a young juvenile 23 years ago and they have been laying eggs ever since. Last batch was several months ago. Poor male clownfish he is at least 23 years old and still a male.

They have outlived 2 of my dogs.

I also had a yellow tang that died a year ago that I had before the clownfish no idea how old it was. My purple tang i had for 20 years. It died several years ago.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I have a female ocellaris clownfish I got in the mid nineties from a fellow hobbist who had it for at least 3 to 4 years. She was already full size. I guessing she is over 25. I paired it up with a young juvenile 23 years ago and they have been laying eggs ever since. Last batch was several months ago. Poor male clownfish he is at least 23 years old and still a male.

They have outlived 2 of my dogs.

I also had a yellow tang that died a year ago that I had before the clownfish no idea how old it was. My purple tang i had for 20 years. It died several years ago.
this is super cool. I’m so excit d to hear all this accounts of old fish! I hope mine will live this long. Our Sohal, Koran and porcupine puffer are over ten we have only had for 2 yrs the other years were with someone else. Our yellow tang, hippo tang and 4 clowns we have had for four years together. Hope we have for a very long time!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the secret is tank stability, not overstocking and quarantining everything for at least 4 weeks and I forgot luck.
We have found you are certainly right! All of it. We learned the hard way with no quarantine a few times. Thank goodness all of our tanks are stable now and we don’t plan to add any new fish. Thank you for your reply.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Gary in 2003

9e643581c7e230a36d613554d09e2b2e.jpg

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ocellaris is 12 years old. Happily living alone in my torch coral since I moved my bubble coral into wife’s tank. My coral beauty lived to 15 years. My Regal Tang is about 11 years.
I believe they’re doing well due to somewhat stable water parameters.
You are a good person to ask, did your coral beauty ever eat corals (zoas,sps and fleshy LPS)? I have heard it 50/50 with flames and coral beauties, but then others say all angels eat coral eventually. Its not if but when...

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since returning to the hobby 2 years ago my oldest fish is my Blonde Naso and the Banggai Cardinal. Both have done well from the very start

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 year old tomato clown and a 10 year old blue-green chromis. No real tips, feed them and cover your tank. I’ve lost a few fish via jumping

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang and Hippo are still lived for more than 5 yrs now. They both survived several power outage for several days during the cold winter and battery power air pump.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 38 38.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back