Poll: New Apex Brain using Old Modules

Have you switched to the new Apex brain and used old modules?

• No - I'm still using the older (Classic) system

Votes: 205 35.4%
  • Yes - But I just went with all new modules

Votes: 49 8.5%
  • Yes - I switched to the new brain and all older modules work fine

Votes: 52 9.0%
  • Yes - I switched to the new brain but have had some problems (Explain in thread)

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • I do not use an aquarium controller

Votes: 240 41.5%
  • Other (Explain in thread)

Votes: 31 5.4%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had an older Apex brain die on me. I ended up picking up a used brain and simply reprogramming everything since I had all the modules set up. But this got me thinking...

Who has made the switch from the old Apex to the new Apex and continued to use their older style modules? Have you noticed any issues with doing this? Although it's too late for me, I'm wondering if I should have just purchased the new brain instead.

Please share your experiences if you've made the switch.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just bought a new Apex 2016 brain only for $349 and i am using all old modules, energy bars and probes. basically swapped the old brain for new.
i copied all programming on a MS Word file and just copy pasted everything back into the new brain as old brain config saved file is not inter exchange able between the two brains.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wanting to upgrade but not wanting to at the same time. If and when i do i dont think i am gonna just buy the brain. The 800 kit is technically a better deal IMO
All new probes major plus and an extra power bar. with the monitoring.

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Looking into purchasing my first controller and wondering if I should try to find something used at a discount or get the new model.

What is the difference between the new one and the old one? Just WiFi capability?

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Looking into purchasing my first controller and wondering if I should try to find something used at a discount or get the new model.

What is the difference between the new one and the old one? Just WiFi capability?
old one will not run the new modules

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did I kept the old one on a wired connection and used the aux powered supply.
So I was able to copy and paste everything over as I slowly moved everything over I still had to re calibrate all the probes but I still was able to keep my naming schemes and all

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question

I have the same idea as @mckinleyw, the 2016 complete is a better deal then buy the new brain then later on have to replace probes.

I my since I would like to add a second conductivity probe and temp probe also wanting the upgrade Fusion interaction. Myself I would still stick with the hardwired interface.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$800 is as much as what some entire systems sell for. I would love to buy a controller, just can't justify the sticker price. You would have thought this would have opened up room for more competitive companies to start up over the years, but not a ton of options. Neptune's trident seems very interesting, but that will only work with new brains and will add an additional $500 cost. I absolutely want some kind of automatic tester, will be interesting to see what else pops up over the next couple of years.

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$800 is as much as what some entire systems sell for. I would love to buy a controller, just can't justify the sticker price. You would have thought this would have opened up room for more competitive companies to start up over the years, but not a ton of options. Neptune's trident seems very interesting, but that will only work with new brains and will add an additional $500 cost. I absolutely want some kind of automatic tester, will be interesting to see what else pops up over the next couple of years.

It depends on your tank/livestock. Some people have multiple thousands of dollars worth of coral that they're keeping alive. I'd rather have $2200 worth of coral and 1 Apex than $3000 worth of coral and no apex. That's the mindset for a lot of people.

I had a heater fail in the "on" position once. It'll never happen again.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck no I don't use this trash. This poll needs other options if its going to be for everyone. Not everyone trusts apex.

Sometimes I wish there was an unlike button. If you’re going to say something like this, what’s the point of even posting in this thread?

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the new brain for 349 and swapped in my eb8, temp probe, display and ph probe (pm1 module) from my apex jr setup. Now i have a jr lying around with a PM1. I was going to buy the module for variable speed ports for my tunzes, but the new brain had 2. So it was better for me because my number of modules is no longer limited as it was with the jr

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the EB832, there are no ‘new’ modules. Ok, that will not necessarily be true in the future, but for now all the classic modules remain fully capable with the new apex.

I switched from classic to the new apex about six months ago - not just the brain but also a pair of EB832. I have a more complex apex than most (18 modules) so the change over was a massive pain. The older modules have mostly worked fine. The only issue I had was with a power outage, one of the old EB8 power bars got readdressed and the outlet programming lost. Not sure why; it may have had nothing to do with the fact it was an older EB8.

I now run the brain on a UPS to hopefully prevent as repeat.

Last edited:

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I wish there was an unlike button. If you’re going to say something like this, what’s the point of even posting in this thread?

I know. It's completely negative and serves no purpose other than to stroke someone's ego.

Anyway, I've also swapped from a Classic unit to a 2016 unit with no issues. Reprogramming everything was the only tedious part.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used a controller..Not to say I don't want one, I'm very intrigued by them and would really like to get one. But my wife won't let me spend the money on one. So I'm banking on winning that one that BRS is giving away this week ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded to a 2016 from a junior. I wanted to use my older (black) pm1 for a second temp probe and pH probe. The older module does not work with the new apex. I spoke with Neptune several times to troubleshoot the issue. The end result was that old modules (at least the pm1’s) would have to be sent back to Neptune to be reprogrammed. They charge 30.00 plus shipping. I haven’t done it yet. I wasn’t happy with having to pay additional money after dropping all that money to upgrade. I really think it’s their issue and that they should not charge a fee to fix it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s odd. I also have a few of the black label units, including a PM1, and it ported over just fine. I am only using it for temp though.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure which option to pick (so maybe I'll just vote "other"). I'm upgrading my Apex, but am upgrading the whole thing (got the new package)...but I'm adding in most of my old modules to it as well.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your tank/livestock. Some people have multiple thousands of dollars worth of coral that they're keeping alive. I'd rather have $2200 worth of coral and 1 Apex than $3000 worth of coral and no apex. That's the mindset for a lot of people.

I had a heater fail in the "on" position once. It'll never happen again.

I disagree, there are other options for a controller to monitor certain things outside the price point of Neptune. I like their product just don't agree with the price. You can get or build a heater controller for $25. To each their own.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back