Poll: New Apex Brain using Old Modules

Have you switched to the new Apex brain and used old modules?

• No - I'm still using the older (Classic) system

Votes: 205 35.4%
  • Yes - But I just went with all new modules

Votes: 49 8.5%
  • Yes - I switched to the new brain and all older modules work fine

Votes: 52 9.0%
  • Yes - I switched to the new brain but have had some problems (Explain in thread)

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • I do not use an aquarium controller

Votes: 240 41.5%
  • Other (Explain in thread)

Votes: 31 5.4%

• Total voters

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually supersized on the low numbers so far on the poll... The majority of people did not upgrade to the EB832? Also the old modules are we talking the new ones with the grey housing and new mounting system or the black ones that mount with tabs on the side.

I have found most of the stores around me still sell the black modules with tabs but they are the "OLD" style ones...

I have owned 4 of the Apex 2016s and still own 1 and 1/2 of one. I still see no issue using the old EB8 and TBH like the EB8 over the 832 even with less functionality.

I wonder hole many EB832 or full "New" apex 2016 were sold.. I also am wondering how big is the Controller market when most do not run them and if they do they are the LOOP.

Anyone want to buy half a apex 2016???
thumbnail.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No controllers here. I wouldn't even know how to use it .

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$800 is as much as what some entire systems sell for. I would love to buy a controller, just can't justify the sticker price. You would have thought this would have opened up room for more competitive companies to start up over the years, but not a ton of options. Neptune's trident seems very interesting, but that will only work with new brains and will add an additional $500 cost. I absolutely want some kind of automatic tester, will be interesting to see what else pops up over the next couple of years.

Whilst I’d have certainly agreed 4 years ago when I bought my Apex, it’s no longer the case.

GHL have arguably closed the gap in many areas and over taken in others (current sensing in all regions, (not just the US), KH Director, Lighting etc).

Right now, certainly if outside of the US, I would have given serious thought to the GHL P4.

I couldn’t run my tank without my Apex, but I now believe I could do so just as well, perhaps better in some areas with a GHL.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whilst I’d have certainly agreed 4 years ago when I bought my Apex, it’s no longer the case.

GHL have arguably closed the gap in many areas and over taken in others (current sensing in all regions, (not just the US), KH Director, Lighting etc).

Right now, certainly if outside of the US, I would have given serious thought to the GHL P4.

I couldn’t run my tank without my Apex, but I now believe I could do so just as well, perhaps better in some areas with a GHL.

Have you tried the GHL controller? Simple website but the specs look promising. If I am doing the currency exchange correctly then price wise if definitely looks comparative to Neptune's packages.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried the GHL controller? Simple website but the specs look promising. If I am doing the currency exchange correctly then price wise if definitely looks comparative to Neptune's packages.

I have an older GHL controller which was a pain to program.

However I’ve only seen screenshots of the GHLCloud, I’m going to have a proper look at a friend’s P4. I doubt they have the user friendliness of the Apex quite nailed, but it’s simply a case of learning a new controller.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered other because I use the Reefkeeper Lite. I forget how much it was on sale for but I picked up 2 of them during BRS and they have been excellent. I have been able to program them to do exactly what I need (that is, control things not already controlled elsewhere) and give me peace of mind on the heater issue. I'm still waiting to see how the reviews come out on the Neptune Trident before seriously considering an APEX.

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, there are other options for a controller to monitor certain things outside the price point of Neptune. I like their product just don't agree with the price. You can get or build a heater controller for $25. To each their own.

Because the price point isn't aimed at the lowest common denominator. You can build a heater controller for $25... what if that fails? Is it redundant? Can it control multiple heaters at different temp ranges? Can it tell you the watts and amperage of those heaters? Can they notify you if one of the heaters is 'on' but not using any electricity? Can your heater controller connect to float switches so the heaters won't run dry?

It's an apples to oranges comparison, IMO. You're not buying a 'heater controller' when you buy an Apex or any other aquarium controller for that matter. You're buying an all-in-one brain to help manage every aspect of reefing. If you can build me a double redundant heater controller, 2x 0-10v controllers, with temp, pH, ORP, and salinity real-time monitoring that's all customizable and controlled from the convenience of any device with an internet connection for less than $800, I'd be impressed.

Not to mention, running the Fusion web servers 24/7 so you can access your controller from anywhere in the world should be considered when thinking about the up front cost. If all you want is $25 worth of heater control, then that's what you'll get, but don't act like a $25 heater controller will outright replace an Apex or RKE.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need another option in the poll:
"I've used a classic for years and recently bought a 2016 head unit in the April sale. Some day when I have time I will open up its box and swap it in."

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the price point isn't aimed at the lowest common denominator. You can build a heater controller for $25... what if that fails? Is it redundant? Can it control multiple heaters at different temp ranges? Can it tell you the watts and amperage of those heaters? Can they notify you if one of the heaters is 'on' but not using any electricity? Can your heater controller connect to float switches so the heaters won't run dry?

It's an apples to oranges comparison, IMO. You're not buying a 'heater controller' when you buy an Apex or any other aquarium controller for that matter. You're buying an all-in-one brain to help manage every aspect of reefing. If you can build me a double redundant heater controller, 2x 0-10v controllers, with temp, pH, ORP, and salinity real-time monitoring that's all customizable and controlled from the convenience of any device with an internet connection for less than $800, I'd be impressed.

Not to mention, running the Fusion web servers 24/7 so you can access your controller from anywhere in the world should be considered when thinking about the up front cost. If all you want is $25 worth of heater control, then that's what you'll get, but don't act like a $25 heater controller will outright replace an Apex or RKE.

Was talking about a heater controller because you brought it up as being critical to you. To answer your first paragraph, YES. No one is saying a $25 heater controller would replace an Apex unit, to think so is idiotic. I am pleased you are happy with your controller and wish you happy reefing.

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was talking about a heater controller because you brought it up as being critical to you. To answer your first paragraph, YES. No one is saying a $25 heater controller would replace an Apex unit, to think so is idiotic. I am pleased you are happy with your controller and wish you happy reefing.

So you're saying I can build a $25 heater controller that does everything I listed? That seems ridiculous.

And me pointing out a heater failure is not even close to the only reason why one would want an aquarium controller. I have float sensors and leak detectors all over my setup. Be realistic about all the components and features that an Apex provides and the total cost will be in the hundreds, not twenty five bucks.

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, I use a controller. not everyone uses apex. that doesn't mean no controller. ever heard of reef angel, digital aquatics, ekoral, vertex, GHL to name a few?

I've heard of them, I just don't know why you felt it necessary to come to a thread that's clearly related to Apex devices so you could complain about how much you don't like them. You could have picked 'other' or just flat out not responded, but instead you lead with a snarky comment about one of the most commonly used aquarium controller on the market. It seems like you have a bone to pick or something.

Also, the RKL and RKE are probably one of the more common alternatives and the price point of nearly $400 for the RKE with objectively less features and no 24/7 web interface... do you have an issue with Digital Aquatics price point? It's pretty much inline with less features, or do you think they're overpriced as well?

Last edited:

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from a classic to new over the weekend. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It gave me a chance to clean up my wiring too.

I also have a more complex setup 14 modules and the only 2 I haven't put back yet are the AFS & ALD. Glad it's done. I had no issues with anything other than initial wifi but that was due to me trying to do it on Android. After doing it from a PC it was a breeze. I still run it hardwired but like anything else in this hobby, it's good to have a backup. All of my modules are orange label, so I dont know about the older ones.

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not using one on my small 20g tank but will be looking into one of some kind when I’m done with the 75 build.
I guess for me as I’m still a greenhorn in this arena I’m really up in the air about which brand to get. I hear and read reviews good and bad from all brands. How does one make the correct choice?

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has made the switch from the old Apex to the new Apex and continued to use their older style modules? Have you noticed any issues with doing this? Although it's too late for me, I'm wondering if I should have just purchased the new brain instead.

Please share your experiences if you've made the sw

No.

I really like the form factor of the classic Apex. The new Apex wouldn't even fit in my current arrangement.

If someone could tell me the difference between the new and old, I'd be glad to position myself for a future upgrade. Otherwise, it sounds like Trident is the major differentiation.

Jeremy King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said other because I have a New 2016 on my salt tank, and a Classic on my fresh tank, but would like to upgrade the Classic to a New one, if I had the money. Mostly for the newer features and interface. (I could then run it off wifi and get rid of the 50' cable running around the room.)

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, there are other options for a controller to monitor certain things outside the price point of Neptune. I like their product just don't agree with the price. You can get or build a heater controller for $25. To each their own.

Ok, you’re on. Where can I buy such a thing for $25?

Genuinely curious. I’m leaving for a few weeks at the end of the month. I would rather have such a thing, but of course I’m not going to upgrade to an apex in such a short time.

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need another option in the poll:
"I've used a classic for years and recently bought a 2016 head unit in the April sale. Some day when I have time I will open up its box and swap it in."

lol! That's a good one, Hunter. :D

Personally, I have never used a controller, nor do I plan to. I don't have anything against them... I understand that there can be many reasons why someone would want or need one. As for me, I'm home every night, and I've always just kept softies that actually appreciate minor parameter swings (Yeah, 'old school' still works). :p:cool:

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 101 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back