Poll on water testing (for ammonia only)

Concerning API AMMONIA tests

• I have never had a 'false' reading with this test.

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • I have had 'false' readings, but discovered an error.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find this test have random 'false positives' which are not explainable

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I think test has about the same number of 'false readings' as other tests

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I think this test has far more 'false readings' as other tests.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I never test ammonia

Votes: 40 58.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm seeing 3 times as many people vote for Option E than Option C. That makes no sense, to say "I think the kit has false positives" while "I haven't found false positives."

What I make of it is there are people voting for Option E that haven't used the test kit themselves. In other words, "I think this test has far more false readings," because someone on the internet told me the API ammonia kit is junk.
Thanks - there are a couple things in the poll that point to that conclusion - OR - the conclusion that API tests are no 'worse' than any others.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing 3 times as many people vote for Option E than Option C. That makes no sense, to say "I think the kit has false positives" while "I haven't found false positives."

What I make of it is there are people voting for Option E that haven't used the test kit themselves. In other words, "I think this test has far more false readings," because someone on the internet told me the API ammonia kit is junk.
It’s almost like there is somebody in this forum that goes around talking about how bad api ammonia tests are when they in fact don’t use them nor read the directions on how to use them. But I don’t think anyone would actually do that..

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s almost like there is somebody in this forum that goes around talking about how bad api ammonia tests are when they in fact don’t use them nor read the directions on how to use them. But I don’t think anyone would actually do that..
yes it seems that way

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will say - for Api (no affiliation - incase the acusion comes ) - Follow the directions exactly = not partly - not semi. - fully. And - Frankly - its hard to do (I've done it multiple times in the last weeks) - to me the question becomes 'why test'

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peers would be fairer to relay to him the vote % breakdown here

it could change his perspective on whether or not he’s stalled

consider the vote breakdown here

read the umpire advice there, see how testing went to 100% accurate though that’s not shown above? Omission of vote % from a fair sample withheld, live time. Thats an api misread I’m voting for him heh even though he’s not convinced yet. You can’t convince non digital test owners they’re not stalled any easier than you can land an eighty pound gar out of the trinity on 10 pound test line. It takes seneye to open eyes, even links directly to seneye vs api threads often won’t do it.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
per this poll and the ranging colors we accept as passing, I think going forward I need to actually see the kit readings and not people's relay. I constantly make that same error/accepting their relays and it was happening again there by the umpires. we take for granted none of the 12 possible confounding mistakes in testing aren't in play.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use API tests to test my water during cycling. I do have the advantage of having an established tank running, so I just double the tests and compare the results to my "control". I think its a very effective and affordable way to use these test kits. Once the cycle is complete, never test for ammonia again.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
per this poll and the ranging colors we accept as passing, I think going forward I need to actually see the kit readings and not people's relay. I constantly make that same error/accepting their relays and it was happening again there by the umpires. we take for granted none of the 12 possible confounding mistakes in testing aren't in play.
Except you're misreading the poll:)....

In the first 3 questions - people were supposed to choose 1 choice -
SO the results of section 1 are:
12 people have had either no errors - OR - if they did they realized that they caused it. (thats 4:1 for API)

- then -

In section 2 we get opposite results:
its 12 to 3 in the opposite direction

Which - we just discussed is could be because people are voting based on 'conventional wisdom' as compared to actual experience with the test.

I guess the real key - most people do not test ammonia at all.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 99 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 106 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.7%

Back