POLL: Rate on average, how much do you trust what you read as OPINIONS on R2R as solid advice

How much do you trust an OPINION on R2R as solid advice

• 1 - I'm very skeptical and only believe opinions when backed by scientific proof

Votes: 10 8.9%

Votes: 9 8.0%

Votes: 16 14.3%

Votes: 11 9.8%

Votes: 27 24.1%

Votes: 12 10.7%

Votes: 17 15.2%

Votes: 7 6.3%

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 10 - I fully trust opinions if presented well

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter the procedures or features an internet forum employs they will never keep people from posting the same questions over and over.

First of all its just human nature to want personalized attention and to assume their problem is somehow special or unique.

Secondly a forum like this would DIE if it weren't for people asking the same questions over and over. In the end they want and need people to keep asking the same questions over and over.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Existence to cater to the lowest common denominator has killed humor, intelligent discussion and a lot of other important things a functioning society needs.
Almost everything you encounter in public now is designed to cater to someone dumber than my cat.
And some still get offended. They want everything they are entitled to. Never ask them who entitled them to it though.

If someone posts a thread asking a question that occurs over and over again; so frequently that it may already be asked a little farther down the forum page, they may get a humorous cynical answer from me. It wont be at their expense however. Truly, I pity them.
What breed of cat?

Am I getting off topic or isn’t it Monday tomorrow?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No matter the procedures or features an internet forum employs they will never keep people from posting the same questions over and over.

First of all its just human nature to want personalized attention and to assume their problem is somehow special or unique.

Secondly a forum like this would DIE if it weren't for people asking the same questions over and over. In the end they want and need people to keep asking the same questions over and over.
This question I dont understand the context. This doesnt have anything to do with the OP. I agree with what you're saying - I just don't know where to relate it to.

The main reason (as far as I know) - that people ask questions repeatedly - is that there are always new answers - and new eyes answering those questions. I do not think its because they want 'personalized attention'. I think they want the latest and best answer to their question.

Of course there are exceptions...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one thing that's fact not ponderance or observation or hopeful attribute, fact.

You can't get more udpated cycling science anywhere online or in books or from any macna speaker that's spoke vs what we do here daily at rtr.

and by do daily I mean churn out cycled tanks with a 100% no stall, no loss rate. zero outliers. no books exist for that means, no speaker has ever spoken on how to get it done.

they for sure have spoke on how cycles stalled, but we have never seen documentation of 5000 completed cycles with no losses until rtr. we have zero stalled cycles on reef2reef, not a single one, past or present. search results will easily show living, happy, feeding fish among bright clean water for any length of days we want to check (until velvet killed them on month 5)

a reader cannot find more advanced cycling procedure than on this one forum, I am 100% sure.

the rate of daily activity and willing participation and feedback instantaneous to shape future procedure is advancing cycling science at an extreme rate

we have participants by the hundreds literally willing to pay to do anything we recommend to get a cycle done, and we get to pattern that x10000

they'll buy any tester we direct, any brand of bottle bac, any arrangement we recommend to begin reefing. that's gold gold gold gold and free data.

other forums or references on cycle challenges:
you‘re stalled, you will need to buy more bac and wait longer.

reef2reef:
your exact allowed start date was two weeks ago. Go read five pages in the fish disease forum before the two clowns coming up

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2993-XL.jpg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one thing that's fact not ponderance or observation or hopeful attribute, fact.

You can't get more udpated cycling science anywhere online or in books or from any macna speaker that's spoke vs what we do here daily at rtr.

and by do daily I mean churn out cycled tanks with a 100% no stall, no loss rate. zero outliers. no books exist for that means, no speaker has ever spoken on how to get it done.

they for sure have spoke on how cycles stalled, but we have never seen documentation of 5000 completed cycles with no losses until rtr. we have zero stalled cycles on reef2reef, not a single one, past or present. search results will easily show living, happy, feeding fish among bright clean water for any length of days we want to check (until velvet killed them on month 5)

a reader cannot find more advanced cycling procedure than on this one forum, I am 100% sure.

the rate of daily activity and willing participation and feedback instantaneous to shape future procedure is advancing cycling science at an extreme rate

we have participants by the hundreds literally willing to pay to do anything we recommend to get a cycle done, and we get to pattern that x10000

they'll buy any tester we direct, any brand of bottle bac, any arrangement we recommend to begin reefing. that's gold gold gold gold and free data.

hey google scholars> get yer notepads out.
Brandon i love you man! I was actually wondering when you where going to pop back in with some cycling knowledge again!

I love R2R man I needed this!

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question I dont understand the context. This doesnt have anything to do with the OP. I agree with what you're saying - I just don't know where to relate it to.

The main reason (as far as I know) - that people ask questions repeatedly - is that there are always new answers - and new eyes answering those questions. I do not think its because they want 'personalized attention'. I think they want the latest and best answer to their question.

Of course there are exceptions...
Sorry, this was a response to my earlier posts that I just realized were at least somewhat off-topic for this post.

Back to discussion on hand, I find good advice on R2R, but I always do additional research.
I do not always look for 100% scientific proof, though it helps my research in considering validity of the advice.
I also never trust the advice simply because it is presented well or has an interesting story. Again, research from multiple sources is what I find most beneficial.

This puts me somewhere in the middle of the poll, where some opinions are founded on good advice without being able to explain it completely scientifically but studies and history of an opinion are also substantiating when considering its validity.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In New Mexico we call a dual skip cycle the Regulator’s technique

I’m dirty Steve from the first movie
Not actually the guy, but a dedicated fanboy
ADD77879-5600-48F8-B9A7-DF74811ADC96.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had you down for Chavez or Sheen for some reason hahaha Hilarious.

My bad all sorry for mini Hi Jack the cat threw me off topic!:D

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thing, I like to think that their is almost no bad info posted on this forum when it comes to helping others. You may not agree with it, but does that make it wrong...HMMM!!! Between the many great members of this forum that help out, along with the #reefsquad, #MODS, @Randy Holmes-Farley, @Dana Riddle, @Jay Hemdal, we have enough great and AWESOME knowledgeable people to help reefers get thru their issues.

To learn and progress in this hobby...you need to open your mind and not close it.

NO ONE PERSON KNOWS IT ALL!!!
Yep, this...

I'll try and answer a question here and there, based on my own experiences over the years, however if its something I honestly don't know, or surmise about, I'll tag one of the knowledgeable you mention amongst many others to see if they can help, and because I am curious. There are many I trust here, and take a little bit from all of them day to day...

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I need to watch this again....its been too long. Thanks for the reminder...Regulators Mount Up!

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answer poll plz

The opinions I have learned to move on quickly from are the ones that act like aquarium keeping is friggen rocket science (with a required budget to match!). There are lots of nuances, and there's always more to learn, but the fundamentals are really, really simple.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By your own criteria we should ignore your post? Just kidding - what is an 'FTS' thread?
I usually keep to myself outside of some basic stuff but yeah I wouldn't listen to me. I have 6 years of experience and generally successful, but easier LPS tanks. Without proof though you really have no idea if it's worthwhile advice. FTS - Full Tank Shot.

I think trusting people who have documented GROWTH over time, not documented purchasing of good equipment and a rotating selection of frags is most important.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back