POLL: Rate on average, how much do you trust what you read as OPINIONS on R2R as solid advice

How much do you trust an OPINION on R2R as solid advice

• 1 - I'm very skeptical and only believe opinions when backed by scientific proof

Votes: 10 8.9%

Votes: 9 8.0%

Votes: 16 14.3%

Votes: 11 9.8%

Votes: 27 24.1%

Votes: 12 10.7%

Votes: 17 15.2%

Votes: 7 6.3%

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 10 - I fully trust opinions if presented well

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this really considered social media? I've made it a point not to participate in FB, Twitter, IG, etc. I'm proud of my stance against social media and am vocal about it with family and fiends. Does my reef2reef account make me a hypocrite lol? Jeez....
I am the same way about Facebook, tiktok, etc…

however, Twitter, Linked in and R2R serve a purpose. So not all social media are evil. I do not want to rely purely on big media for information. They are all corrupt.

as far as advices here are concerned, the power is to read several threads, go slow and do not take anything literally.
Sam

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At least a 2 year old join date and a build/progressive FTS thread or in the trash it goes.
By your own criteria we should ignore your post? Just kidding - what is an 'FTS' thread?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it weren't for the fact Rev and Daniel would suspend my acct.... ive thought about providing ignorant answers to ignorant questions
It is a difficult poll - because nearly ALL of the 'advice' on R2R is 'opinion'. Even the posts supposedly 'backed-up' by science are based on that poster's reading of the actual paper - which may be decades old, and already disproven - or it may be being mis-read by the poster. Also - to get a firm grasp on 'science' - it takes more than one paper to prove a point - no matter what the topic. IMHO, most of the advice given on the site is done in order to help people as compared to some malicious intent.

PS. The 'advice' that I believe has some cogent rationale that makes common as well as scientific sense. I would much rather read posts that say something like 'Use chemiclean for cyanobacteria because.......' rather then just 'Chemiclean' when asked whats the best solution for Cyanobacteria (for example)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The irony is most reefers cannot replicate Paul B's reef management success because they don't have a decades old tank.
In that case no reefers can replicate PaulB's success because no one has a tank that old? It seems like a circular 'opinion' - and no offense to you - I don't understand the logic. Is it the age of the tank that causes the success? or the Method that causes the age which defines the success? If its the second, then anyone can replicate Paul B's method, and thus if they keep a tank that long, they will have the same success (IMHO)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my question posed to Paul B in his big thread and his response.
Sorry if this has been answered previously within the thread, but is this method viable for a new reefer starting from scratch in a landlocked area? I'm sure you would have to take it slow and build up immunity over time, but just how much time before one can drop fish in from their local LFS and have the necessary protection to not have to deal with sick and dying fish?

You are correct, it will not work in a new tank. Especially if you are using dry rock and ASW. Nothing will work in a new tank because no new tanks are healthy. I wrote an article in my book about this but somewhere in the beginning of my book it reads, "This book is not for Noobs with a new tank" or something like that.

Noobs will always have problems but it is not your fault so don't beat yourself up. It is the bacteria and other micro fauna's fault. Those are the things that run our tanks, not you. They determine when you can add corals, when certain fish can be added and when the tank will generally be healthy. It will not happen in a year or two, sorry.

But to make you feel better, this hobby has no end (I just posted this someplace) There is no time you will say, I finally did it and can call my tank a success. (I can and will explain)

Keeping a tank is like sailing an expensive Yacht. You don't really want to get any place, you are enjoying the journey, the scenery, the breeze, and gentle water splashing on you, the conversation and wine.

The only end to that pleasure is the dock at the end. Unless of course you sink. Just like your tank crashing. :oops:

If you wanted to get someplace, why would you board a very expensive piece of machinery and go maybe 5 MPH while getting splashed?

In March of this year my reef will be running fifty years. All of the time that I have had this tank running I said many times that I won't call it a success until it is 50 years old. That is the age I placed on what I can call success. Some people may say 6 months is success. That is their goal.

I also said many times, that if it runs 50 years I will call my theory about not quarantining and how bacteria and parasites react with the tank correct.
I think that time is long enough to prove my thoughts as no scientific test lasts that long.

All the people for almost 50 years that keep saying "I have been lucky" that velvet didn't crash my tank are wrong. It is not luck and in March I will call it a success. If it crashes then. It is still a success.

Using my own criteria for my own tank, I can't call any quarantined tank a success until one reaches 50 years old. I am not sure how long I can wait because as my tank has been aging, I have not been in a coma or in space traveling faster than the speed of light looking for the end of the universe which I know is a brick wall with tar paper on top and beyond that, Strawberry fields forever.

Prove me wrong. :p

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thing, I like to think that their is almost no bad info posted on this forum when it comes to helping others. You may not agree with it, but does that make it wrong...HMMM!!! Between the many great members of this forum that help out, along with the #reefsquad, #MODS, @Randy Holmes-Farley, @Dana Riddle, @Jay Hemdal, we have enough great and AWESOME knowledgeable people to help reefers get thru their issues.

To learn and progress in this hobby...you need to open your mind and not close it.

NO ONE PERSON KNOWS IT ALL!!!

Check This Out GIF

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't believe everything I see here posted. In recent time I figured out that there are just too many people who became celebrity on facebook, instagram and youtube. But there is a difference between celebrity and legends and in reefing we have quite a few. The problem is those people actually don't help people. They just show their tanks and promote certain products and companies. When someone ask for suggestion then it becomes a verbal warzone. I think people are forgetting the wise words that "you can always disagree with someone but that doesn't mean that person is your enemy". I made few friends here and I have seen what they can do with their wisdom so I trust them. I believe in the words that knowledge is easy to get but wisdom hard earned as it takes a lot of work to turn knowledge into wisdom. I talk to people and get their suggestion and try to modify it according to my needs.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is simply not enough context here to make any point.

That being said what point are you trying to make?
It was a response to someone quoting and commenting on my post. If you arent following, then I guess it's not for you.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere on here I read some good advice. Paraphrasing: "Before you take action on some advice, go look for their build thread and pictures of their tank" Seems like a pretty good way of sorting out who knows what they are doing vs those that don't.

So by that measure - you should ignore this post :)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all advice and all that take the time to give it here. Whether its right or wrong its really up to us to take it for what it is. Digest, add to, learn from or not.
If I feel someone is trolling I simply ignore.
If I see something that's wrong I call it out in discussion to hopefully correct it.
If im wrong I humbly accept that and try to learn from that. Its too bad others can't simply take there own advice;)
My old Sr VP had a great saying that stuck with me. If you can't admit your wrong and own it you will never learn what you don't know. Successful teams aren't built around one person. If you can't put people better than you around yourself to grow, you will only be as good as yourself. I love that old guy.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we vote for all of the options at once? :)
If it is based on what I determine through continued research, I would rank this highly.
If it is based on all information available, though, there is plenty shared that does not agree with my continued research.

I do not look at "The R2R Opinion" as one collective, so I do my own research on the opinions to compare to other opinions. I do not give anyone a free pass simply because of my opinion of that person. Rather, I understand that we all have opinions but we cannot confirm absolute truth of our opinion. By this I always put opinions to the test of research, including my own, and never assume my opinions to be the certain truth.

So far, I believe I find good advice on this forum, but I have to filter it out of the negative or ignorant responses and regurgitated information without evidence of understanding the given information.
I try to only share my opinion if I believe it to be strongly supported by information and experiences (mine and/or those of others) that I am willing to share and discuss or have challenged. Having a good measure of humility is also important so I can understand that I will never know everything and that, even with things I believe to be true, I could be the one that is wrong.

If it weren't for the fact Rev and Daniel would suspend my acct.... ive thought about providing ignorant answers to ignorant questions
I think this can be where some of the problems come from: is the ignorant question ignorant by choice or lack of experience/education? We all start in ignorance, but not necessarily intentional ignorance by choosing to ignore the advice and experience of others. If someone is willing to learn and asking questions in good faith, albeit in ignorance, we should help to educate without belittling his/her ignorance. Education and experience do not come immediately and will usually take more time than it does for a thread to spiral out of control with the wrong responses. If the community belittles ignorance, it will drive away new members who may have been willing to learn but are not given the opportunity. I do understand the desire to respond with sarcasm and ignorant answers, but we should be careful not to do this to a willing-to-learn beginner or at least make sure it is meant in fun to point out how important it is for each of us to do our own research rather than just asking someone else to do that work for us.
That becomes the difficult part: assessing whether the new member is willing to learn or choosing the path of ignorance since the preconceived desired answer was not given as the advice.

Guilty sometimes. I cant help myself.
Bristle worms bad?

Dastardly things. Just waiting for you to put your hand in the tank to strike. One grabbed my cat but I saved him.
I keep a club by the tank just in case.
I also think we should be careful about this. I personally enjoy the humor of these responses since I recognize how over-the-top the answer is and that it is done to point out how absurd the question is from the viewpoint of someone with experience or who has done much research, but I only recognize the joke because of my own level of research and forum interaction to recognize the typical responses and assess what I understand to be the right answer, thus understanding the sarcasm/exaggeration. To a new member, though, this often seems to be taken as belittlement of his/her lack of experience (true of ALL beginners) and encourages in the new member a perception of elitism in the community.

By the way, this is not directed personally at all at either of you, @zoa what and @WVNed , since I have quite enjoyed and appreciated responses from both of you in different threads.

My personal view is not that sarcasm/jokes/ignorant answers should be avoided, but rather that we should be careful when and how they are expressed and the direction of the continued discussion afterward. I think we should try to make jokes clear (which is more difficult in online text only) and offer useful advice as well with the intent to help educate and to inspire desire for personal research.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we vote for all of the options at once? :)
If it is based on what I determine through continued research, I would rank this highly.
If it is based on all information available, though, there is plenty shared that does not agree with my continued research.

I do not look at "The R2R Opinion" as one collective, so I do my own research on the opinions to compare to other opinions. I do not give anyone a free pass simply because of my opinion of that person. Rather, I understand that we all have opinions but we cannot confirm absolute truth of our opinion. By this I always put opinions to the test of research, including my own, and never assume my opinions to be the certain truth.

So far, I believe I find good advice on this forum, but I have to filter it out of the negative or ignorant responses and regurgitated information without evidence of understanding the given information.
I try to only share my opinion if I believe it to be strongly supported by information and experiences (mine and/or those of others) that I am willing to share and discuss or have challenged. Having a good measure of humility is also important so I can understand that I will never know everything and that, even with things I believe to be true, I could be the one that is wrong.

I think this can be where some of the problems come from: is the ignorant question ignorant by choice or lack of experience/education? We all start in ignorance, but not necessarily intentional ignorance by choosing to ignore the advice and experience of others. If someone is willing to learn and asking questions in good faith, albeit in ignorance, we should help to educate without belittling his/her ignorance. Education and experience do not come immediately and will usually take more time than it does for a thread to spiral out of control with the wrong responses. If the community belittles ignorance, it will drive away new members who may have been willing to learn but are not given the opportunity. I do understand the desire to respond with sarcasm and ignorant answers, but we should be careful not to do this to a willing-to-learn beginner or at least make sure it is meant in fun to point out how important it is for each of us to do our own research rather than just asking someone else to do that work for us.
That becomes the difficult part: assessing whether the new member is willing to learn or choosing the path of ignorance since the preconceived desired answer was not given as the advice.

I also think we should be careful about this. I personally enjoy the humor of these responses since I recognize how over-the-top the answer is and that it is done to point out how absurd the question is from the viewpoint of someone with experience or who has done much research, but I only recognize the joke because of my own level of research and forum interaction to recognize the typical responses and assess what I understand to be the right answer, thus understanding the sarcasm/exaggeration. To a new member, though, this often seems to be taken as belittlement of his/her lack of experience (true of ALL beginners) and encourages in the new member a perception of elitism in the community.

By the way, this is not directed personally at all at either of you, @zoa what and @WVNed , since I have quite enjoyed and appreciated responses from both of you in different threads.

My personal view is not that sarcasm/jokes/ignorant answers should be avoided, but rather that we should be careful when and how they are expressed and the direction of the continued discussion afterward. I think we should try to make jokes clear (which is more difficult in online text only) and offer useful advice as well with the intent to help educate and to inspire desire for personal research.
Existence to cater to the lowest common denominator has killed humor, intelligent discussion and a lot of other important things a functioning society needs.
Almost everything you encounter in public now is designed to cater to someone dumber than my cat.
And some still get offended. They want everything they are entitled to. Never ask them who entitled them to it though.

If someone posts a thread asking a question that occurs over and over again; so frequently that it may already be asked a little farther down the forum page, they may get a humorous cynical answer from me. It wont be at their expense however. Truly, I pity them.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Existence to cater to the lowest common denominator has killed humor, intelligent discussion and a lot of other important things a functioning society needs.
Almost everything you encounter in public now is designed to cater to someone dumber than my cat.
And some still get offended. They want everything they are entitled to. Never ask them who entitled them to it though.

If someone posts a thread asking a question that occurs over and over again; so frequently that it may already be asked a little farther down the forum page, they may get a humorous cynical answer from me. It wont be at their expense however. Truly, I pity them.
Yes, I understand and tend to agree, though my first posted response will typically be out of the pity for the ignorance and will be advice to help rather than automatically moving toward cynicism (even if my first mental response is "here we go again/did you even try to look this up first?"). This is not out of an effort to give the "Everyone's a Winner" award but to start with some respect out of common decency until that respect is destroyed, and to take an opportunity to encourage doing research.

The most common greatest problem that should be solved is, indeed, rarely the question that is being asked but rather the reason why the question is being asked. There are, indeed, too many threads started with questions that could be easily answered with some research instead of reaching out for the easy answer and making others do the work. I wish everyone would do personal research and form an opinion on what is right instead of just asking for the quick "what is best" response, especially with something like reefing that has many different viable options. There seems to be no easy way to regulate this, though.

Maybe there could be a beginner mode on the forum where, before posting a question or new thread, previous similar topics show up (maybe even must be viewed?) before allowing the new thread to be posted? This might be difficult to manage, though, as my opinion is that of someone who has never managed a forum, only participated as a member. I always search the forum with many related terms for past threads similar to my questions before posting a new thread, but not everyone does this. We can't make it happen, but there should be some ways to encourage this.

The way I see it, not everyone who is ignorant has taken that attitude intentionally, so I would do best by offering the opportunity to grow out of ignorance (at least initially) until it is rejected and ignorance becomes intentional. If we help by offering some answers while also encouraging personal research, it seems to me that the forum will be a better and more useful place. I hope we can also do so without losing the addition of humor as well...

Edit: One more note, I also take full responsibility for my own decisions regardless of what formed my opinion. It is not intellectually honest to blame the advice on the forum for any problems I might have, especially if I do not do ample research. I would like to see the same in all others, but it simply does not seem to be the case. It is much easier to just blame others for personal faults even if it solves nothing...

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I understand and tend to agree, though my first posted response will typically be out of the pity for the ignorance and will be advice to help rather than automatically moving toward cynicism (even if my first mental response is "here we go again/did you even try to look this up first?"). This is not out of an effort to give the "Everyone's a Winner" award but to start with some respect out of common decency until that respect is destroyed, and to take an opportunity to encourage doing research.

The most common greatest problem that should be solved is, indeed, rarely the question that is being asked but rather the reason why the question is being asked. There are, indeed, too many threads started with questions that could be easily answered with some research instead of reaching out for the easy answer and making others do the work. I wish everyone would do personal research and form an opinion on what is right instead of just asking for the quick "what is best" response, especially with something like reefing that has many different viable options. There seems to be no easy way to regulate this, though.

Maybe there could be a beginner mode on the forum where, before posting a question or new thread, previous similar topics show up (maybe even must be viewed?) before allowing the new thread to be posted? This might be difficult to manage, though, as my opinion is that of someone who has never managed a forum, only participated as a member. I always search the forum with many related terms for past threads similar to my questions before posting a new thread, but not everyone does this. We can't make it happen, but there should be some ways to encourage this.

The way I see it, not everyone who is ignorant has taken that attitude intentionally, so I would do best by offering the opportunity to grow out of ignorance (at least initially) until it is rejected and ignorance becomes intentional. If we help by offering some answers while also encouraging personal research, it seems to me that the forum will be a better and more useful place. I hope we can also do so without losing the addition of humor as well...

Edit: One more note, I also take full responsibility for my own decisions regardless of what formed my opinion. It is not intellectually honest to blame the advice on the forum for any problems I might have, especially if I do not do ample research. I would like to see the same in all others, but it simply does not seem to be the case. It is much easier to just blame others for personal faults even if it solves nothing...

Hey Soren. Just a heads up I was posting new thread the other day and did notice that R2R has implemented a new feature that asks if topic is already being discussed and thumbed through it.
To add to your discussion and not directed to anyone in particular.
I think there's alot of same old questions being asked sure there's probably an answer somewhere or maybe there really isn't an answer to a specific thought or question one has at that time. Most people are looking for real time answers for real time issues that need to be addressed quickly.
I personally feel that R2R has addressed or tries to address whatever they can for whoever they can to make this forum a better experience for all and with everyone in mind.

I also feel there's just a select few that are never going to be happy no matter what R2R does. Or what anyone thoughts are unless those thoughts conform to there thought model.
To them I just have to say get over it. Your on a public forum thats shares thoughts and ideas whether we agree with those thoughts or ideas or not it doesn't give any one of us a free pass to bash users for asking questions or sharing ideas. Especially when they are thought provoking. Which is always a big trigger.
Some people just don't like to think outside of that box they live in and again will only ever be as good as whatever is inside that box.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Soren. Just a heads up I was posting new thread the other day and did notice that R2R has implemented a new feature that asks if topic is already being discussed and thumbed through it.
To add to your discussion and not directed to anyone in particular.
I think there's alot of same old questions being asked sure there's probably an answer somewhere or maybe there really isn't an answer to a specific thought or question one has at that time. Most people are looking for real time answers for real time issues that need to be addressed quickly.
I personally feel that R2R has addressed or tries to address whatever they can for whoever they can to make this forum a better experience for all and with everyone in mind.

I also feel there's just a select few that are never going to be happy no matter what R2R does. Or what anyone thoughts are unless those thoughts conform to there thought model.
To them I just have to say get over it. Your on a public forum thats shares thoughts and ideas whether we agree with those thoughts or ideas or not it doesn't give any one of us a free pass to bash users for asking questions or sharing ideas. Especially when they are thought provoking. Which is always a big trigger.
Some people just don't like to think outside of that box they live in and again will only ever be as good as whatever is inside that box.
I just "started" a new thread (without posting) to test the question on previous discussions and confirmed that it was here on this forum that I had seen such a feature before. That is a big step to help the situation even though it is not forced. Of course, I don't think forcing research is really feasible or reasonably regulatable, so my ideas are pretty limited at this point of what more can be done or even if I think more should be done. I like and appreciate where R2R is, which is why this is one of my primary forums.

I agree with what you said here. The "same questions being asked" has more than one category.

Sometimes it is an emergency thread, and all situations are unique enough that I do not fault someone for wanting an answer as quickly and directly as possible. These situations can lead to some of the worst results if incorrect advice is given, but this cannot be completely avoided. It is impossible for someone to offer perfect advice without knowing every detail of the system/animal in question and somehow being able to pass over all knowledge and experience required to remedy the situation, not to mention that we do not and probably will not ever have the perfect understanding of reef systems that would allow for a user manual that can kick out a precise answer for every situation. This type of situation is best handled with a continual desire in each one of us to learn and do more research as well as a helpful attitude with each other. This also shows the importance of a beneficial community where we truly care enough to help each other instead of just being here for the attention and "likes".

Sometimes the same question is due to lack of research and personal responsibility. I wish this never happened and everyone would just do extensive research before issues arise, but I cannot make this happen and can only choose for myself how I will be. I do not think there are great problems on the forum due to this, nor do I think there are simple solutions to guide things in the right direction. I still believe that we should offer enough respect to try to help in these situations rather than becoming cynical or sarcastic automatically. There is always a fine line of balance when offering advice mixed with enjoyment and humor while also trying to encourage personal growth where we perceive it lacking.

When it comes to giving advice or answering questions, I believe it is best to have a helpful and kind attitude while also not supporting or agreeing with what I do not believe to be the truth based on my research and experiences. We do not have to be on one extreme or another. If I happen to disagree, that does not mean I have to be adamant in my pursuit of changing someone else's mind, nor does it give me license to be rude in response. I also prefer community instead of small groups of think-alikes, since this tends towards supported answers rather than opinion. This is what I strive to be a part of and what I have found most of my experience on R2R to be.

Open-minded discussion is what I find most useful, and I will never encourage or take part in bashing others because they do not agree with my opinions. Your last paragraph puts my thoughts into words very well.

...and if things become toxic, I find it better for me (and think it better for others) to just ignore or avoid those threads rather than to take part in the "cancer tumor" that can so quickly and easily grow in social media circles.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back