Votes: 5 0.8%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We often see posts about which skimmer is recommended, or even which skimmer is the best. I vaguely remember a long running debate about whether a skimmer is even necessary. So, what is your take on using a skimmer? Do you use one? I think the vast majority of us do utilize a skimmer but I'm curious to see how may do not. I would love to hear the comments from those that don't explaining the theories for not doing so.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just ask people which salt is best or if LEDs can grow corals as well as MH and T5!? Talk about an inflammatory question :)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have the space, there is no good reason not to use one lol. It does other things besides skim. If nutrients are low, feed more :) One of the most important functions is to aerate the water. Can also be used in conjunction with Ozone or CO2 scrubbers. It works on its own and only requires periodically cleaning.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no as my current tank does not allow for much room for a skimmer (as well as its temporary) With that said, I plan on running a skimmer when i set up the large tank.

Other than more "floaties"in the water i havent noticed any downsides to not having one on the tank. I do do large water changes and have lots of algae but im not certain a skimmer could have prevented that as this setup was only designed to run ~2 months. (going on 8+ months lol)

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one. I used to only run it periodically when it was AC powered, I've since switched to a DC skimmer and run it continuously at a lower power setting.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use skimmers on both my tanks These are rated for twice the gallons of the tank. Now I don't have any scientific evidence to back this but I have always had algae issues & just all the gunk they remove has to be doing something for removing organics& the water cleaner. If I get the feeling it's too much I turn them down .

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TWO REASONS FOR SKIMMERS:

1) Obviously to remove organics.....but some say they do that with frequent WCs...and dont need skimmers

2) Not much talked about.... but skimmers also !OXYGENATE! an already CO2 heavy water column from corals respirating a lot of CO2 in a confined glass box.

If you dont skim, you are not maximizing the O2 potential in your tank. Corals need O2 to grow. No skimmer limits a corals potential bigtime

Why do you think God has whitecap foamy waves 2000 miles from shore? To oxygenate the Ocean

Last edited:

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up a RSR 350 and plan on going with a refugium as main nutrient export, I am not opposed to adding a skimmer later if needed and if I do, it'll be appropriately rated. I will have a fairly low fish load and mainly LPS and Zoas.

NemHost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good question and it made me look up some things.
I just found out that corals actually produce more co2 when putting down new skeleton than consume it during photosynthesis so they are a net negative. Algae consumes co2. Overall reef systems in the wild appear to have no impact on global co2 levels. Our tanks are much more densely populated with corals than in the wild so we probably need to rely on gas exchange more with our tanks. Gas exchange could be achieved in different ways but a skimmer is easiest so I’d vote for a skimmer rather than not.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my skimmer 24/7. I am sure I could achieve the same level of nutrient export via more water changes, but then I would have to do more water changes and buy more salt.

It also helps with water movement and such so may as well use one, also since adding one to my sump, the sump stays cleaner.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a 24x18x18 tank with a in tank filter (BIOBOX SW) to turn it into a sort of all in one tank. The BIOBOX SW comes with a small skimmer heater and 2 pumps, but it does create some micro bubbles so for the last year I have been running it only over night from midnight til 10am. I don't do water changes very often,maybe 10% once every 6 weeks. I haven't noticed any difference with running that way over 24/7. I run on NSW for the last 15months.
DSC_0505.JPG

SPS Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has no skimmer yet or a sump for that matter. It is not drilled and I am worried about the noise since my tank is in my bedroom. My gyre near the surface generates enough water movement for gas exchange. My big problem in ventilating the room because the co2 builds up and keeps the pH from gettting high...so I have added chaeto in the tank and started dosing with kalk.

Gomi's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on tank size, sump and cabinet size and bioload i guess.

But next year I'm starting a build with a Redsea Reefer170 base. Customising their sump for a large fuge, powered by a kessil h160 and small return section.
flow in the sump and main display will help with gas exchange. As well as photosynthesis by the chaeto converting CO2 into O2
Maintaining Cal, Alk will be taken care of by Kalkwasser (NOT IN ATO).
Minimal water changes too.
90% LPS, 5% Ricordea and 5% zoa
inspired by ULM series on BRSTV

Gomi's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gas exchange in your build should be taken care of by large chaeto fuge, can also help with surface agitation. Aim, your returns so they disturb the surface and stick a small $20 powerhead in the sump
This was evidenced by the BRSTV experiments and the effect that a chaeto fuge had on pH when appropriately lit. pH is a good proxy for dissolved CO2. High pH = low CO2. And if a result of photosynthesis in the fuge....
then 6CO2 + 6H2O + light energy = C6H12O6 + 6O2

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not run a skimmer on either of my reef tanks.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We often see posts about which skimmer is recommended, or even which skimmer is the best. I vaguely remember a long running debate about whether a skimmer is even necessary. So, what is your take on using a skimmer? Do you use one? I think the vast majority of us do utilize a skimmer but I'm curious to see how may do not. I would love to hear the comments from those that don't explaining the theories for not doing so.
I deal with nps corals, dendronephthya, scleronephthya, non-photosynthesis gorgonians. 60 oysters,(Pacific oysters, specially aclimated for reef), these creatures need all the nutrients in h2o. We're doing R&D, trying for aquaculture. @Sallstrom, trying too. Just enlarged R&D building to 800sf. Waiting for shipment, of dendronephthya

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back