Poll: What do you use to make water less yellow?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, Feb 22, 2018.

?
  1. GAC (granulated active carbon)

431 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. Purigen

34 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Ozone

17 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. UV Sterilizer

65 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Other Oxidizers and or binders

7 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Other

30 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. Nothing

103 vote(s)
    17.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Had a suggestion for a poll from our resident chemist a while back to discuss what, if anything, people use to make their water less yellow. I personally have always run GAC and have never had the experience of yellow water. So let's see what others are using to accomplish this. Discuss below your methods and/or theories.

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
    Tags:

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I used to run carbon and it would help for the most part. Now I do weekly water changes and the waste water coming out of my tank is pretty much the same color as the new water going in.

code4 likes this.
  3. ZaneTer

ZaneTer Active Member

I use ozone and I will never go without it again. I don’t personally chase any ORP figure but I run the ozone for about 2hrs each night. ORP doesn’t exceed 250 and I have never had clearer water. I did try the GAC route for a while but it’s a pain plus the long term costs on a 200g plus it’s just not quite as good as my ozone unit.

4. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Depends a bit on what is causing the yellow/brownish cast. In most cases GAC will do the trick. I don't have a problem in my big system, but my kids tanks often look a bit yellow so I simply run a bag of chemipure. If the coloration is due to water borne algae, then a UV clarifier/sterilizer is the best tool to use. Also, keep in mind that if the cause is fine particulates, a skimmer will pull them out as well.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Chera, Zack K and sfin52 like this.
  5. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Moderator With Training Wheels Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Never had this issue. What generally causes it?

Cherub likes this.
  6. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

General nastiness in most cases but it can also be caused by suspended algae and high amounts of organics in the water. When I used Aquavitro Fuel it would turn my water slightly yellowish if I overdid it.

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  7. Cherub

Cherub Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Never had yellow water? Didn't know this was a thing...

8. ChiCity

ChiCity Valuable Member R2R Supporter

In older tanks it is....
    Carbon for the win!

Bunnee911 and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  9. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I've never noticed yellowing to be honest, but I run GAC (ROX) once in a while if I feel like the smell is off or I just feel the need.

Zack K likes this.
  10. LadyMac

LadyMac Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I had a yellow tint to mine a few weeks back. Thought algae bloom, and was suggested carbon. Since adding it the water does seem a lot more clear. I also have to clean out several pads every few days ( my fault, the sump setup isn’t the best) or I’ll get the tint again.

FWIW it doesn’t bother me too bad; my freshwater tanks were always black water :)

11. Paul B

Paul B Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Don't eat to much asparagus.

12. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Moderator With Training Wheels Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

;Yuck;Yuck

ChiCity likes this.
  13. Cory

Cory Valuable Member R2R Supporter Article Contributor

Ento-Reefer likes this.
  14. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

KZ Coral Snow is another choice, plus side doesn't seem to have a connection with HLLE

BigJohnny likes this.
  15. Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Purigen. I Love the stuff.

Before I converted to salt I ran planted FW tanks for years. Almost every tank had some sort of wood (usually Bog wood) in it. I would soak the wood for weeks to leach the tannin out to keep from tinting the tank. Sometimes even after weeks of soaking and multiple boilings some pieces of wood would still leach and tint the water giving it a light tea like appearance. I tried every product to clear the water up and nothing worked until I put in a pouch of Purigen. in a span of 12 hours my 40g tank went from a light tea color to crystal clear. Ever since I have run it as as a means to remove organics and to keep the water looking pristine. It does an amazing job keeping the water crystal clear on my sw tank as well.

16. ajcanale

ajcanale Active Member R2R Supporter

KZ Coral Snow

BigJohnny and AnakinReefWalker like this.
  17. tastyfish

tastyfish Active Member UK Reef Club Member

Curiously, I've never, ever had discoloured water. I run carbon when I think I need to because of spawning or a contaminant on an ICP test but have never had water yellowing before.

Cory likes this.
  18. Hommi

Hommi Member

KZ Coral snow makes water crystal clear. Dose 1-2 ml pr 100 liter when light’s is off. I notice a big difference next day

BigJohnny and Cory like this.
  19. AnakinReefWalker

AnakinReefWalker Active Member

I use Coral Snow as well, sort of. I use a DIY version that works just as well.. KZ Coral Snow is really expensive, have you looked into this
    https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-kz-coral-snow-with-97-purity.211722/

It's what I use, it's basically the same thing but way cheaper, you can get a 97% purity 5 pound bag of CaCO3 (KZ coral snow) for 12 bucks on Amazon. I'm pretty sure a 5 pound bag will last me a lifetime, if you're interested read through the thread, if you switch you'll save a lot.

Cory likes this.
  20. Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

I run ozone for 3 hours every night and it keeps my water sparkling clear.

Cory likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted