poly tanks

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most don't seem to have issues with Brute trash cans but I did with them leaching phosphates. Check my rock curing thread for more info.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up on it.

OP
OP
Brian Mountain

Brian Mountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most don't seem to have issues with Brute trash cans but I did with them leaching phosphates. Check my rock curing thread for more info.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up on it.
I saw that. Thanks! What did you end up doing?

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that. Thanks! What did you end up doing?

Hate to say it, but I still get my water from the LFS. Space limitations and just some procrastination have resulted in my not hooking up the RODI unit that I bought a few months back. I will do it at some point, but I will use the Ace Roto Mold containers when I set up my SW mixing station. Chris has those in his setup so you might check them out. Certainly a lot pricier of an option compared with Brute cans. They are NSF certified so that puts my mind at ease.

This is probably the one I will end up getting when I do set up my mixing station:

http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/912/50-gallon-portable-utility-tanks-sp0050-rt

I do plan on testing the can that I used in my initial rock curing process once again to triple check that it was the can that was the issue. I can't see any other cause since they did just fine the moment I switched to curing them in a glass aquarium.

Last edited:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most don't seem to have issues with Brute trash cans but I did with them leaching phosphates.
There are food grade Brute cans that are NSF certified as seen here. However I do know people who have seen Phosphate leaching out of those, although IMO in negligible amounts. If you're worried about it you can flush with RO/DI until the TDS or Phosphate levels read 0.

Lots of other reservoir options available from US Plastics and similar vendors.

Nickh517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to local water quality place that I got my water softener from and got two of those plastic containers you put your salt in. They just throw the old ones away so they give to me for FREE

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently picked up a white 55 gallon barrel formally used for storing soft drink syrup. It took a couple of rinses to clean it but it cost me $15 for the barrel and $3 for vinegar.

Fourthwind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 55 gallon food grade for $35 at a local container reclaimer that I store the fresh water in. I have 17 tanks between fresh and salt. Been looking for some cheap 12 gallon container to do some mixing in.
drum.jpg

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your local brewpub, ours gave our local school reef project 2 55 gallon food grade containers like the blue one above. Normally sell them for $20 each or something like that. The only thing that comes in it is grain. You know, the stuff that gets fermented into the stuff that makes the hobby possible! Lol.

OP
OP
Brian Mountain

Brian Mountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your local brewpub, ours gave our local school reef project 2 55 gallon food grade containers like the blue one above. Normally sell them for $20 each or something like that. The only thing that comes in it is grain. You know, the stuff that gets fermented into the stuff that makes the hobby possible! Lol.
That's a great idea....

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a uniseal instead of a traditional bulkhead. Just easier to use with a poly tank imo.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back