Polyp Bailout

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, bad news. One of my Holy Grail torches seems to be deteriorating. His head has almost fully detached and all of his internal filaments are visible. This is the third torch in the same amount of days to do this, there is no sign of brown slime? Searching brown slime disease just brings up images that looks nothing like what I am experiencing, my parameters are 0 phosphates 5 nitrates 8dkh 8ph 460-480 calc and ammonia and nitrite are 0. These were all on quick tests as I don't normally test my water. My clownfish has been acting strange, but all the other fish, mushrooms, zoas and toadstools all seem to be fine. Salinity is about 35ppt and temp is 26 Celsius. I had dipped all torches before entering the tank, the only new addition is about 30 cuc members which were added around 2 weeks ago, I am preparing a 50 litre water change and will try and get some photos later, I have been using vibrant to get rid of bubble algae

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say water changes are your best bet.
Last water change was only a week ago, I had added another water pump, tho it was on -20% just to get a little bit of random flow for the torches, since then it's all gone wrong, not sure if maybe there is something on that pump as it has been in and out of the tank. Would something like that cause this issue? Say some metal parts rust or the magnet becomes exposed?

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the flow would cause this, yes.

the only reason torches bail
is in the hopes of finding more favorable conditions….
away from the skeleton they are trapped in.

it’s called apoptosis,
controlled by the organism itself.

the lack of necrosis or bjd confirms this

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it’s called apoptosis,

Hmm that's strange, the flow wasn't more powerful, it was just different, before hand it was a steady 20% flow rushing over the torch, to which I had changed it to a more random 20% flow. But you're more than likely correct as I have seen this before with flow causing bailout, but three torches? Also, the polyp hasn't completely bailed just yet, will it reattached itself or is this head basically a goner? I'd say it's about 30% detached at the minute

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it’s called apoptosis,

Also, I noticed you said necrosis, the big "meaty" head that once stretched half way down this torches skeleton has receeded significantly? Early in fact when I was inspecting this torch, there was a few strands of flesh connecting the three heads together, would this have been necrosis? Or just part of the apoptosis? Only one head is showing signs of distress

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back