Polyp Bailout

Tater Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a hammer coral bailout it’s only head and I’m so sad. I realized I placed it in too high of a flow area and when I went to move it l, the polyp flew off.

my parameters are:
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0.10
KH: 8.2
Temp: 78.9
PH: 8.2
ca: 380
Mg: 1440

It’s a 40 breeder with 1 ai prime 16. (Yes I’ll add another later). It’s in medium light but I don’t have specific par. It did fine the first week on the frag rack, but moving it to higher flow made it way too stressed.
I feed the tank with BRS reef chili 2x a week. The polyp itself I tried to save but my hermit crabs seem to have gotten to it.
I’ve moved the Hammer coral skeleton to a lesser flow area. My question is: what can I do to increase its recovery odds? Should I be target feeding the skeleton with coral food at night? If so how often? I’ve seen it’s sweeper tentacles out here and there.
Also I found out the frag had two vermetid snails on it, I couldn’t see them until the polyp flew off unfortunately. I put super glue all over the top of them so they should be starving out now.

I have 4 zoas, a GSP, and a war coral that are all growing and thriving, if that’s relevant.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you have left is the skeleton, it's dead.
What are your phosphates? How new is this tank?
You probably don't need to be feeding the tank that much, since you really don't have much in this tank.
Between the flow (if it's as strong as you said it was, that's the biggest issue), and low nutrients, I'd say you had an uphill battle with this hammer regardless.

OP
OP
T

Tater Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you have left is the skeleton, it's dead.
What are your phosphates? How new is this tank?
You probably don't need to be feeding the tank that much, since you really don't have much in this tank.
Between the flow (if it's as strong as you said it was, that's the biggest issue), and low nutrients, I'd say you had an uphill battle with this hammer regardless.
Can you elaborate more on low nutrients please? What nutrients and what levels should they be at?
I don’t have a phosphate test kit, it’s next on my list lol.

Edit: Tank is 7 months old.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate more on low nutrients please? What nutrients and what levels should they be at?
I don’t have a phosphate test kit, it’s next on my list lol.

Edit: Tank is 7 months old.
Nitrate is basically 0. Unknown what phosphate is. You definitely need to test for PO4.
I try to keep Nitrates around 10, and PO4 under .10
If they are both too low, you can get dinos, plus LPS will suffer.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back