polyp-lab medic

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience with this? it said its reef safe. I gave up on quarantine fish long ago and the fish now are the honoree survivor from ich (survivor of almost a year now!!!). As I am not planning to add anymore fish in the future, I am thinking of turning to something that would help extend these fish lives, or buy/dose anything that can help my chances a bit. I already have an UV and now looking into reef safe medication as I can see like 2-3 white ich dots on my blue hippo tang from time to time. Any information would work, thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard mixed things on it. I think you have to sort of time it right. However, if the fish is showing that they hac marine ich, you can try something like metroplex + focus+ garlic mixed with their food. that isn't advertised as reef safe but seachem has said they had no problem in their office tank and others have tried it too

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience with this? it said its reef safe. I gave up on quarantine fish long ago and the fish now are the honoree survivor from ich (survivor of almost a year now!!!). As I am not planning to add anymore fish in the future, I am thinking of turning to something that would help extend these fish lives, or buy/dose anything that can help my chances a bit. I already have an UV and now looking into reef safe medication as I can see like 2-3 white ich dots on my blue hippo tang from time to time. Any information would work, thanks!

From what I can tell, it is a peroxide salt. It is reported to be "reef safe" but by that definition, it is also "disease safe". It's activity would be by oxidizing the ich parasite at the more delicate, free-swarming stage. - and there is really no line between the amount of oxidizing material needed to kill ich and to kill say an SPS. That means the applied dose is less than needed to kill ich. People say, "well, it might help a little, who knows?" I can't argue with that, just that I would not use it to treat an active infection. My current "policy" is to only suggest treatments that have a written reference, preferably in Noga's book, or other suitable source.

Jay

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it saddly it did not cure my problems, towards the end of the treatment I start seeing white on all my fish. Since then all the fish got moved to a QT and are going to go through Metro, Copper, and Prazi.

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40g quar
From what I can tell, it is a peroxide salt. It is reported to be "reef safe" but by that definition, it is also "disease safe". It's activity would be by oxidizing the ich parasite at the more delicate, free-swarming stage. - and there is really no line between the amount of oxidizing material needed to kill ich and to kill say an SPS. That means the applied dose is less than needed to kill ich. People say, "well, it might help a little, who knows?" I can't argue with that, just that I would not use it to treat an active infection. My current "policy" is to only suggest treatments that have a written reference, preferably in Noga's book, or other suitable source.

Jay

I used it saddly it did not cure my problems, towards the end of the treatment I start seeing white on all my fish. Since then all the fish got moved to a QT and are going to go through Metro, Copper, and Prazi.

Thank you both for the response! Do you suppose its worth the hassle to set up a QT tank and basically destroying my display tank to get all the fish out at this point? I do know If this happens, Id have to remove all fish from the display tank for 3 months and I believe this would potentially affect my whole SPS tank and to add on to the small QT tank that I can set up (40B), I doubt the fish will all survive

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue in my 150 mixed reef. Got ich through an invert as all my fish were QT'd. I think i am at day 60-70 of the infection. Only lost one fish, out of 14 or so, including a powder blue and orange shoulder, which are still fine. The fish i lost was a Kole tang, which i also thought was fine. I have a 50 watt UV on the tank. I dosed peroxide at 3ml per 10 gallons for 45 days. Little to no effect that i could tell. Soaked food in garlic and metro for 20 days. May have helped. Fed a ton or good food and fresh food when i could get it. Ironically, when i stopped all the treatments, the fish seemed to get better. My last ditch effort, which i am pretty sure will help is run a 150 watt HO UV sterilizer on the tank for several weeks. Started that Monday. The sterilizer is 6 feet long and cost $1,000. I just can't break down my tank to catch all the fish without tearing up my reef. Its worth it to me to save my fish. With or without the sterilizer, i think i am turning the corner.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef isnt well encrusted so taking all the rock out to catch the fish and putting it back was an option. It was much less stressful then expected with the help of a few folks we where able to pull the rock, catch fish, and return the rock in 15 minutes flat. Of course spent the next day re-aquascaping about 150# of rock.

I definitely think there is the option to perform ich managment. If you can get a huge UV filter; it will work from what I have watched here but note they ran it for over 6 weeks I believe.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef isnt well encrusted so taking all the rock out to catch the fish and putting it back was an option. It was much less stressful then expected with the help of a few folks we where able to pull the rock, catch fish, and return the rock in 15 minutes flat. Of course spent the next day re-aquascaping about 150# of rock.

I definitely think there is the option to perform ich managment. If you can get a huge UV filter; it will work from what I have watched here but note they ran it for over 6 weeks I believe.

Ha! That is where i got the idea and i have the same UV. If you can catch all the fish out that is definitely a way to totally get rid of it. Fallow period is 76 days. I did it and it worked, but i did not QT a small frag from a tank that had infected fish and viola! i got it again. At least its not Velvet. Good luck.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%
Back