Polyp lab medic

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with poly lab medic? Currently one of my fish in my tank have ich. I have no clue how after almost 6 months it got ich, I quarantine everything for two months and left the tank fishless during that period, but is there any reef safe medication that works? I understand nothing can replace copper, but how is Ruby rally and polyp lab?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro and focus won’t work - the dose needs to be at 5000 ppm, and metro is so bitter, fish won’t eat the medicated food more than once. If they eat it, you simply have the dose too low.
Are you positive it is ich? How many spots are the fish showing?
Polyp lab medic is evidently a peroxide salt. To keep it reef safe though, the dose is pretty low. I’ve not heard good results from people using it.

Jay
Do you think metro/focus would help at all? My mccoskers still eats like crazy

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro and focus won’t work - the dose needs to be at 5000 ppm, and metro is so bitter, fish won’t eat the medicated food more than once. If they eat it, you simply have the dose too low.
Are you positive it is ich? How many spots are the fish showing?
Polyp lab medic is evidently a peroxide salt. To keep it reef safe though, the dose is pretty low. I’ve not heard good results from people using it.

Jay
@Jay Hemdal thank you for responding. I’m going to try to take pictures, at first I thought it was sand but it matches so well with ich spots, the salt like granules. I know they sleep on the sand bed or under rocks but today is the 2nd/3rd day I’ve seen it, I also see a little rapid breathing today. I thought once my fallow period was over, and with the use of cupramine everything would be ok

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal thank you for responding. I’m going to try to take pictures, at first I thought it was sand but it matches so well with ich spots, the salt like granules. I know they sleep on the sand bed or under rocks but today is the 2nd/3rd day I’ve seen it, I also see a little rapid breathing today. I thought once my fallow period was over, and with the use of cupramine everything would be ok
The rapid breathing and spots lasting a few days does sound like some sort of infection.
It is really tough to treat ich in tanks with invertebrates present.
I can’t tell you why your treatment/fallow period didn’t work. Have you added any invertebrates to the tank in the past month? They can act as vectors for disease.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rapid breathing and spots lasting a few days does sound like some sort of infection.
It is really tough to treat ich in tanks with invertebrates present.
I can’t tell you why your treatment/fallow period didn’t work. Have you added any invertebrates to the tank in the past month? They can act as vectors for disease.
Jay
I’ve added snails and starfish for my harlequin shrimp, but I never expected that to bring it in which could have. Just frustrating going through the correct whats procedure for this to happen. None of my other fish show signs so I’m wondering if it’s ich. Here’s a video which shows the spots.

Attachments

• IMG_4357.MOV
    11.7 MB
  • IMG_4358.MOV
    17.3 MB

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think metro/focus would help at all? My mccoskers still eats like crazy
I also tried that and the fish refused to eat the medicated food. I ended up ditching meds and using a product called The Fishkeeper Marine and food soaked in Selcon, Vitachem, and garlic. I believe ich is still present but the fish don’t show white spot and remain alive.

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also tried that and the fish refused to eat the medicated food. I ended up ditching meds and using a product called The Fishkeeper Marine and food soaked in Selcon, Vitachem, and garlic. I believe ich is still present but the fish don’t show white spot and remain alive.
Is the fish keeper marine reef safe?

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. followed the recommend dosage and saw no ill effects to any corals or inverts. It was recommended to me by a LFS that said it was a good product.
Thank you so much I’ll try this. Are you able to see the video? I just want a confirmation that it is ich since none of my other fish show anything

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• FE86941C-D974-47C5-BBF1-7E530C11444B.jpeg
    FE86941C-D974-47C5-BBF1-7E530C11444B.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 368E7A0B-593A-43C2-B1D2-5084763FDA25.jpeg
    368E7A0B-593A-43C2-B1D2-5084763FDA25.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 94FCED09-C7D8-4F0E-998D-D9F9AF7E05C4.jpeg
    94FCED09-C7D8-4F0E-998D-D9F9AF7E05C4.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 91
  • B2D621D3-4435-4584-BB7B-1A431E4B8A39.jpeg
    B2D621D3-4435-4584-BB7B-1A431E4B8A39.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 48B95C85-85A7-4F58-A495-6181192E55BD.jpeg
    48B95C85-85A7-4F58-A495-6181192E55BD.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 111

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a fine thing for ich, but I’d prefer copper instead since some ich can be resistant. Also, can’t go hypo with coral and inverts in the tank it will kill them. You could do that if you remove all the fish into a hospital tank.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's ICH, then other fish could possibly get it. Not 100% if they are resistant to ICH and strong/heathly.

I once had a Copperband show 100% ICH, but not other fish had symptoms. He was so ICH covered he way dying.
I removed the Copperband. Treated in a hospital Tank and saved him.

I forget which method I used, it may have been copper, but many times I "Succssfully" treated fish with ICH with the "Tank Tansfer method". Works every time, if you have the setup, dicipline and patience to do it.
TTM has become my favorite for Treating VISIBLE ICH.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

I do use Copper if I get suspicious observing a fish during QT.
I learned the hard way that you must keep your copper levels proper (with a copper tester or kit).
Too high Copper Levels or too quick Level increase, can kill sensitive fish in hours.
Too low level, even briefly and the treatment will not work.

So with the ICH fish in Hospital I worried that the Display Tank the Copperband came from would need to go Fallow, and that would be a pain. I once went fallow after VELVET wiped out all my fish. Never wanted to do that again.

Yet, like you, the other fish showed no ICH.

So instead of treating all the fish, I left them in the Display tank and used PolyLab Medic with the mentality "it can't hurt to try". To this day years later, that tank never got ICH. Copperband after treatment was put back and even new fish since that time. No ICH since that time, and I never went Fallow. So maybe the Polyp Lab did work, or maybe it was something else like the Heathy fish resisted hosting the ICH parasite and that ended the ICH cycle.

So my recommendation, is:
  1. Get your ICH fish out and treat it in a hospital tank (your preferred method Copper/TTM).
  2. Observe the other fish while using the Polyp Lab which is invert and reef safe product (just don't drop the granulues directly on corals), and hope for the best. It's not too expensive and may work. Can't hurt.
All the best. Hope your sick fish gets better and best of health to the others.

Last edited:

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp Lab Medic did not work against Ich in my tank after 20 days of strict treatment. I went to a QT with copper, and DT to fallow. Eventually lost the PB tang and clowns to Ich in the QT before I could achieve therapeutic levels of Coppersafe.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added snails and starfish for my harlequin shrimp, but I never expected that to bring it in which could have. Just frustrating going through the correct whats procedure for this to happen. None of my other fish show signs so I’m wondering if it’s ich. Here’s a video which shows the spots.
I watched both videos. Sorry, but the fish are moving too fast and under blue light, it isn’t clear. I did see one white spot on the yellow tang. However, the demeanor of all of the fish is very good, so if there is an infection, it is very early on.
Introducing invertebrates, if they came from a tank with fish in it, can introduce disease into your tank. I’ve seen dealers who house fish that aren’t doing well in their coral trays to “give them a better environment”. That is just crazy, since everything then leaving that tank can be infective!
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back