OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched both videos. Sorry, but the fish are moving too fast and under blue light, it isn’t clear. I did see one white spot on the yellow tang. However, the demeanor of all of the fish is very good, so if there is an infection, it is very early on.
Introducing invertebrates, if they came from a tank with fish in it, can introduce disease into your tank. I’ve seen dealers who house fish that aren’t doing well in their coral trays to “give them a better environment”. That is just crazy, since everything then leaving that tank can be infective!
Jay
The other fish are eating well and moving normally or I thought they are. They’ve always moved like that but the only one I noticed who loves different is the wrasse. I’m the pictures can you tell if it’s ich?

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's ICH, then other fish could possibly get it. Not 100% if they are resistant to ICH and strong/heathly.

I once had a Copperband show 100% ICH, but not other fish had symptoms. He was so ICH covered he way dying.
I removed the Copperband. Treated in a hospital Tank and saved him.

I forget which method I used, it may have been copper, but many times I "Succssfully" treated fish with ICH with the "Tank Tansfer method". Works every time, if you have the setup, dicipline and patience to do it.
TTM has become my favorite for Treating VISIBLE ICH.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

I do use Copper if I get suspicious observing a fish during QT.
I learned the hard way that you must keep your copper levels proper (with a copper tester or kit).
Too high Copper Levels or too quick Level increase, can kill sensitive fish in hours.
Too low level, even briefly and the treatment will not work.

So with the ICH fish in Hospital I worried that the Display Tank the Copperband came from would need to go Fallow, and that would be a pain. I once went fallow after VELVET wiped out all my fish. Never wanted to do that again.

Yet, like you, the other fish showed no ICH.

So instead of treating all the fish, I left them in the Display tank and used PolyLab Medic with the mentality "it can't hurt to try". To this day years later, that tank never got ICH. Copperband after treatment was put back and even new fish since that time. No ICH since that time, and I never went Fallow. So maybe the Polyp Lab did work, or maybe it was something else like the Heathy fish resisted hosting the ICH parasite and that ended the ICH cycle.

So my recommendation, is:
  1. Get your ICH fish out and treat it in a hospital tank (your preferred method Copper/TTM).
  2. Observe the other fish while using the Polyp Lab which is invert and reef safe product (just don't drop the granulues directly on corals), and hope for the best. It's not too expensive and may work. Can't hurt.
All the best. Hope your sick fish gets better and best of health to the others.
I let the tank go fallow and still did water changes on the fallow tank every week for two months while the fish were in a separate quarantine tank being treated for copper. I don’t have a big enough quarantine for all those fish :(

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched both videos. Sorry, but the fish are moving too fast and under blue light, it isn’t clear. I did see one white spot on the yellow tang. However, the demeanor of all of the fish is very good, so if there is an infection, it is very early on.
Introducing invertebrates, if they came from a tank with fish in it, can introduce disease into your tank. I’ve seen dealers who house fish that aren’t doing well in their coral trays to “give them a better environment”. That is just crazy, since everything then leaving that tank can be infective!
Jay
Will soft corals be okay in hyposalinity? Some corals are hardy right like leathers Xenia’s zoas

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @Bouncingsoul39 @WallyB @vetteguy53081 so its been about a week and no other fosh are showing any signs of ich? Even though the spots are small white and salt like could it be something else on the mccoskers? It goes away and comes back every other day on him but no other fish shows anything
The spots coming and going is very suspicious of ich. The only other thing that does that are sand particles. This is pretty common in wrasses due to their mucus and often close contact with the substrate....so you'll want to rule that out. Various ways to do that, with practice, you can tell by looking. I'll sometimes use my hand to cause the fish to dart away - of the spots fall off, they are sand.

Otherwise, spots that come and go can by ich. In some systems, ich parasites are present, but the fish can fight them off to a pretty high degree - I've had tangs that had a few ich spots coming and going for months. This is termed "ich management". In my opinion, this isn't a steady state - the ich tends to eventually either go away and become a full blown infection.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots coming and going is very suspicious of ich. The only other thing that does that are sand particles. This is pretty common in wrasses due to their mucus and often close contact with the substrate....so you'll want to rule that out. Various ways to do that, with practice, you can tell by looking. I'll sometimes use my hand to cause the fish to dart away - of the spots fall off, they are sand.

Otherwise, spots that come and go can by ich. In some systems, ich parasites are present, but the fish can fight them off to a pretty high degree - I've had tangs that had a few ich spots coming and going for months. This is termed "ich management". In my opinion, this isn't a steady state - the ich tends to eventually either go away and become a full blown infection.

Jay
Hmmm my mccoskers is pretty bold so he doesn’t move away even if I put my finger there. I was thinking it could be sand too but it’s weird how none of my other fish have ich if it is ich. Thank you, maybe I’ll let it be and assume it’s sand for my own sanity. I’ve been going crazy over this, he still eats a
Crazy amount of food. Also @Jay Hemdal do you think vitachem is better than selcon?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm my mccoskers is pretty bold so he doesn’t move away even if I put my finger there. I was thinking it could be sand too but it’s weird how none of my other fish have ich if it is ich. Thank you, maybe I’ll let it be and assume it’s sand for my own sanity. I’ve been going crazy over this, he still eats a
Crazy amount of food. Also @Jay Hemdal do you think vitachem is better than selcon?
I thought that Vitachem was a mix of vitamins and minerals while last I knew, Selcon is highly unsaturated fatty acids. Both need to be used sparingly, as just soaking food in them also means that it will easily rinse off once you add it to the tank. I also worry about Selcon - it doesn't need to be refrigerated, yet the original product, Selco has to be refrigerated and then only lasts 4 months.....

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that Vitachem was a mix of vitamins and minerals while last I knew, Selcon is highly unsaturated fatty acids. Both need to be used sparingly, as just soaking food in them also means that it will easily rinse off once you add it to the tank. I also worry about Selcon - it doesn't need to be refrigerated, yet the original product, Selco has to be refrigerated and then only lasts 4 months.....

Jay
I’ve heard better things in regards to vitachem, but do you use any of those two products?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard better things in regards to vitachem, but do you use any of those two products?
No, I don’t use them. my approach to fish nutrition is to offer a varied diet of high quality foods and supplement only with vitamin E and thiamin.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don’t use them. my approach to fish nutrition is to offer a varied diet of high quality foods and supplement only with vitamin E and thiamin.

Jay
Still no signs of any spots on anyone do is it safe to assume that maybe it was sand?

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame hawk and foxface that had ich. foxface due to chromis harassing it endlessly. Both fish went into QT with cupramine. Until I could not bare to see them both stress in the QT. I waited till no signs of ich on both and put them back into the DT.
No other fish showed signs of ICH. All fish swim high in the tank and are healthy and eat well.
As a follow up I am now adding Reef Medic. Still no signs of ICH in the DT on any fish now.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note. I followed the instructions in the box. Added one scoop per 190 liters.
A few pellets fell on my frogspawn and it was not a happy frogspawn at all. Took a day to recover and I thought it shriveled so much it was a goner.
the box states "REEF SAFE" this to me is not reef safe if used as per instructions.

I contacted both the retailer and importer to explain my concerns. This was passed on to Polyplabs.
If someone can tell me where in the instructions it says to do other than I did please show me.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is it worked for me. I got ich, fish died, learned to quarantine, went fallow like 90 days, fish perfect while in observation tank with no signs of ich whatsoever, back in display and within few days ich is back, immediately started poly lab medic and by day 10 battle was won. Head scratch, question question, head scratch. No signs and decided to try aquabiomics dna test and results shows 0 ich. Is the test a joke? Is polymedic fish oil? All I know is it worked for me. Used it early and timed the ich cycles just right. Tried it when I had ich before but not until it was way to late to have a chance to work. Fish were already dying at that time. If caught early and timed right I think it is viable treatment.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is it worked for me. I got ich, fish died, learned to quarantine, went fallow like 90 days, fish perfect while in observation tank with no signs of ich whatsoever, back in display and within few days ich is back, immediately started poly lab medic and by day 10 battle was won. Head scratch, question question, head scratch. No signs and decided to try aquabiomics dna test and results shows 0 ich. Is the test a joke? Is polymedic fish oil? All I know is it worked for me. Used it early and timed the ich cycles just right. Tried it when I had ich before but not until it was way to late to have a chance to work. Fish were already dying at that time. If caught early and timed right I think it is viable treatment.
I run cupramine in a qt for 10 days odd. I felt sorry for the fish. My flame hawk lost an eye. Possibly from trying to catch. He's fine now minus an eye.
I put them back in dt after 10 days and added polyplab for 10 days. I've seen no ich since.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Vitachem marine has aminos and fatty acids too

1645844184600.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back