Popeye

Deanster12

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2021
Messages
80
Reaction score
20
Location
uk
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this rock beauty angelfish for 4 years and for a month she has had popeye in one eye, she can still move the eye and she eats like a pig, all water parameters were checked yesterday and are spot on, I have tried a couple of doses of Epsom salts over a week but doesn’t seem to ease the swelling, my questions are how long will this popeye last, what else can I do, and will she end up losing the eye.

IMG_6657.jpeg
 
I personally do nothing for popeye, I usually heals on its own and I’ve never had a loss from it but that’s just one sample,
…. I won’t dispute any actual treatment protocols
 
How long will it take to clear up as she’s been like this for a month now
 
How long will it take to clear up as she’s been like this for a month now
A 4-6 weeks is my recollection but I’m reaching back, hopefully @vetteguy53081 or someone similar can clean this up
( pardon the summons, only reefsquad name I could remember)
 
I have had this rock beauty angelfish for 4 years and for a month she has had popeye in one eye, she can still move the eye and she eats like a pig, all water parameters were checked yesterday and are spot on, I have tried a couple of doses of Epsom salts over a week but doesn’t seem to ease the swelling, my questions are how long will this popeye last, what else can I do, and will she end up losing the eye.

IMG_6657.jpeg
This likely stemmed from a mechanical injury and while at times subsides on its own, there is always risk of retina damage and added stress and I therefore recommend treatment in a separate tank with maracyn for at least 5 days with added aeration.
1719151874775.png
1719151874775.png
 
There’s no chance I can catch her, she is with tangs and clownfish, and will hide under rock caves which have lots of coral attached, I probably will just have to leave her be and see what happens
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new