• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Porcupine puffer

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dang we have decided to rehome our puffer. Do you remember my older post about what ate our hog fish (here's a refresher pic). Well---- now the wifes faaaavorite fish had gone missing an We have learned that puffers with eat other fish its a carnivore. This fish gets 4 thumb size mussels daily sooooooooo. It also appears this second death also happened in the dark. She's needs to go. Sad day. Disclaimer: we are on the fence.

Screenshot_20210625-212359_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210625-212426_Gallery.jpg

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont think the puffer ate your fish!!! They are not that aggressive and he is too small. Your fish might be dead somewhere in tank

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen porcupine puffers eat small fish, but it was a large porcupine and small bite size fish. There are other possibilities. Maybe you just have a Bobbit.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote keep the puffer... he should not be hungry enough to hunt down and eat other fish.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok since you are of the opinion that it's not the puffer. here are some other facts to consider why two fish have gone missing (one bitten in half).

1. current the tank mates----- post disappearance of the second fish
two small clowns. 1"
two diamond gobies 2"
one bi-color angel 3"
one niger trigger 3"
three yellowtail damsels 1"
one long tentacle nem 6" in dia.

2. this puffer is about 6" long. so small yes, to small to eat a blenny an a hog fish ? no IMO.

3. Pufferfish aren't community fish and must be kept alone, as they are carnivorous. “They will either eat the other fish that are small enough, or they will bite at the other fish's fins if they are too big to eat.

4. i have a negative aquascape, there is no place that i can not see, the blenny is not dead in the tank.

I know this is odd, you never hear much about a puffer eating other tiny fish but if you dive deep into the research you will find they do.

so what bit my fish in half and

whytekeylifter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dang we have decided to rehome our puffer. Do you remember my older post about what ate our hog fish (here's a refresher pic). Well---- now the wifes faaaavorite fish had gone missing an We have learned that puffers with eat other fish its a carnivore. This fish gets 4 thumb size mussels daily sooooooooo. It also appears this second death also happened in the dark. She's needs to go. Sad day. Disclaimer: we are on the fence.

Screenshot_20210625-212359_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210625-212426_Gallery.jpg
To all the others saying your puffer could not have done that.. see the below photo I attached.... My puffer ate my engineer goby, a fish that was supposed to be compatible with the puffer.... Soooooo

Attachments

• 20210801_202549.jpg
    20210801_202549.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 54

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back