Possible AEFW

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this frag on Friday, wwc miriablis, and it really hasnt looked good. Got a bunch of stuff from them and this is the only one not extending polyps, etc. This morning I noticed a couple of white spots on the coral. Cant tell if it is just tissue loss or something but does this look like damage from AEFW? Everything was dipped and didnt see anything. Not sure if I should take out and redip it. The spots dont really resemble white oval bite marks to me.

20180806_091110.jpg

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely stress filaments, if it's a new frag. I would leave it be for now. I don't think I've ever dipped a frag from them. And, on a smaller frag like that the dip would of washed any FW right off.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely stress filaments, if it's a new frag. I would leave it be for now. I don't think I've ever dipped a frag from them. And, on a smaller frag like that the dip would of washed any FW right off.

Thanks. For some reason this frag just seems a bit off from everything else. I know this is kne of the furrier acros, similar to red planet, so the lack of PE, is a bit concerning.

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the picture but it doesnt look like that to me. With AEFW the bite marks look more like white chicken pox on the dark side. If I was to dip it again, I would dip it with Coral Rd. Doesnt seem to stress it out and throws AEFW right off it.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if it was a fresh cut? They tend to brown out easier. I also see it's not on a plug. Any chance you might have scraped it a little taking it off? Might just be small injuries to the tissue.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was definitely a fresher cut. Certainly possible it could have happened when I snapped the coral off the plug. Would it take a few days to show though? Did it back on Friday.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that pic it's impossible to tell. The only way to be certain is to remove it and dip it. I would let it settle in for a week or two though and make sure it's polyps are out and healthy before attempting that. It's probably just stressed still from the transition (some acros are more sensitive than others), but it's also possible it could have another pest, such as red bugs or black bugs. That requires close inspection to look for tiny, crawling crustaceans. I've found black bugs on WWC acros in the past FYI

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So those areas looked to be healed up but still nothing in terms of polyp extension. Should I move it elsewhere or give it more time. Its been in the the tank for 5 days.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 139 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back