Possible Aiptasia?

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this guy on a small chunk of liverock I just added to my nano tank last night. Is this an aiptasia? I've already removed the rock it is on from the tank just in case, but if it isn't aiptasia I'd like to add it back since that stuff is expensive. I don't usually use live rock so I'm unfamiliar with the typical pests.
20230630_133234.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks an awful lot like aiptasia to me.
Well crap. I guess I'll get a peppermint shrimp soon and hope for the best. I'm regretting not using dry rock but I just don't really have the time for that. Maybe I'll shock the tank before I add fish and corals and just restart the cycle.

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap. I guess I'll get a peppermint shrimp soon and hope for the best. I'm regretting not using dry rock but I just don't really have the time for that. Maybe I'll shock the tank before I add fish and corals and just restart the cycle.
Just put some super glue over it if it’s just one

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put some super glue over it if it’s just one
There are other smaller ones on the same rock and I found another larger one on a different rock. They are popping up more and more the longer the lights stay on. I guess I just got live rock from the wrong place.

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other smaller ones on the same rock and I found another larger one on a different rock. They are popping up more and more the longer the lights stay on. I guess I just got live rock from the wrong place.
Yeah you may have but it’s too late now in my experience peppermint shrimp only really control the problem. Personally I would recommend Berghia Nudiabranchs

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you may have but it’s too late now in my experience peppermint shrimp only really control the problem. Personally I would recommend Berghia Nudiabranchs
The tank isn't even fully cycled yet (just a wild caught damselfish and the hitchiker clean up crew on the live rock), so I feel like I can probably control the problem since I'm not worrying about coral, fragile fish, and intentional clean up crew yet. If peppermint shrimp and spot killing with lemon juice doesn't work, I'll definitely keep them in mind though.

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank isn't even fully cycled yet (just a wild caught damselfish and the hitchiker clean up crew on the live rock), so I feel like I can probably control the problem since I'm not worrying about coral, fragile fish, and intentional clean up crew yet. If peppermint shrimp and spot killing with lemon juice doesn't work, I'll definitely keep them in mind though.
Could you just pull the rock? Or are there multiple rocks like it?

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some lemon juice in a syringe and done. They literally melt in front of your eyes and it's beautiful to see.

kurbanas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either Aiptasia or hydroid. I have scraped them off directly into a siphon tube and then covered with coral putty.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back