Possible Pest on Torch?

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a torch that has one head looking consistently worse than all the rest of my coral, and I couldn't figure out why. Today I was watching before the lights came on and saw something that looked like a mini serpent starfish or something (no, not an asterina I don't think). See the photo below.

It seems like this starfish may be going after the skeleton, as it is hanging out here in a little depression where the skeleton seems to be rotting away. I've seen something like this before, I think on a piece of live rock from the other side of the tank when I took it out of the tank to mount some zoas, but I think they are doing well.

Does anyone know what these things are? I quick search of common reef pests didn't turn up any hits but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

20220917_132906.jpg

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! I have a nice euphyilia garden going so was really hoping that was what it was. It's odd, I've had this one torch for a few months now and every so often one of the heads looks a little worse for the wear. It's always the same head, and was looking for possible reasons. It doesn't seem to be splitting fwiw.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back