Possible Sickness on my Devils Hand Coral

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, tied googling this on my own, no luck, so here's my problem.

I have a 40 gallon breeder with a devils hand in it. Lately I noticed a small black/dark spot at the base of one of its newest fingers. The spot was in such a position that I figured it was a trick of the aquarium lighting and was just a shadow. However, now that area where the black spot was has turned stark white and it almost looks as though that part of the skin has been taken off the coral and there's a "cut" there. Anyone here know anything of a black spot turning white and forming a "wound" in devils hands? As far as I'm able to visibly tell, there's only one affected area, so I hope more don't pop up or the current one spreads. And apart from that spot, the coral seems to be in completely perfect condition and exhibits perfectly normal behavior. As for water chemistry, everything is exactly where it should be except phosphate and nitrates are a tad high (working on it) and I'm dealing with a cyano outbreak (tank is 7 months old so I believe this is just a stage of the ugly phase). There are no coral eating fish/inverts in the tank either (2 onyx clowns, a starry blenny, a royal gramma (who sleeps in a cave near the hand), some little hermits, a Halloween hermit, and some snails). I've attached photos if it with the spot as visible as I can make it with the coral shrunken down for the night, I can take photos of it fully "inflated" tomorrow afternoon if requested.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

hand1.PNG hand2.PNG hand3.PNG

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,perfectly normal,devils hand drop fingers often,this is how they do it. :)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i normally just let drop ,attach and give away as starter frags.. :)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no,i never glue softies,they will just attach themself in day or two,small rubble stick in hole,or put in bowl w rubble or frag plugs on top of it..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reproduction and they will attach themselves to a given surface as long as there isnt excessive current

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no,i never glue softies,they will just attach themself in day or two,small rubble stick in hole,or put in bowl w rubble or frag plugs on top of it..
Ok, when it does fall off im sure ill find some hole to wedge it in where it wont get blown away. And I hope there's enough cuz I think I'm noticing yet another black spot heheh. Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back