1Matthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, last week we noticed signs of ich/ velvet on our mimic tang. He was scratching up against rocks .Unfortunately, that fish recently passed. The tank currently has a clown, 1 purple dottyback, and a pajama cardinal. The clown had ich around 7 years ago when we first set up the tank but since recovered. Currently, the cardinal and the clown look great with no signs of distress, eating, swimming, no white specks. The dottyback also is acting normally but has some visible white coating. I would expect the clown and cardinal to have it at this point but they don’t. My plan of action is to set up a 20 gallon QT and dose copper. Anything else I should be doing? Also, with the DT being fallow, how should I be giving that tank nutrients to keep my coral alive?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all, last week we noticed signs of ich/ velvet on our mimic tang. He was scratching up against rocks .Unfortunately, that fish recently passed. The tank currently has a clown, 1 purple dottyback, and a pajama cardinal. The clown had ich around 7 years ago when we first set up the tank but since recovered. Currently, the cardinal and the clown look great with no signs of distress, eating, swimming, no white specks. The dottyback also is acting normally but has some visible white coating. I would expect the clown and cardinal to have it at this point but they don’t. My plan of action is to set up a 20 gallon QT and dose copper. Anything else I should be doing? Also, with the DT being fallow, how should I be giving that tank nutrients to keep my coral alive?
Assure you use copper power or coppersafe and run at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5. Test with reliable test kit such as Hanna brand. Running an air stone for added oxygen is a plus and monitor ammonia when treating also with a reliable test kit.
Signs of velvet will be
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium.

OP
OP
1Matthew

1Matthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I still put my remaining 3 fish in the 20 gallon QT or leave them. They look fine but there were just fish in there that died because of velvet

Larry isaak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I still put my remaining 3 fish in the 20 gallon QT or leave them. They look fine but there were just fish in there that died because of velvet
If it was velvet all your other fish would be dead too. It was most likely ich

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back