Possibly The Tiniest Artificial Reef???

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! It’s Nora. I thought I would share a literally tiny experiment I started about two months ago. Basically, I received a jar a little bigger than a quarter (maybe it holds an ounce, idk) and decided to put some sand, water, and a little algae from my reef into it. I did not think it would work, but turns out that it is doing just fine! Fast foreward a few weeks and I notice a spaghetti worm and some copepods swimming around. All the creatures are still alive. The only thing I have done since its creation was add a pellet or two smaller than the head of a pin a couple weeks after its creation and a tiiiiiiiiny bit of distilled water as top-off. I want to know if anyone else has tried something like this, and if I am correct in my thinking that it is currently the tiniest in the world!
F83AFBED-2A08-4D89-BBDE-F2EB41C40FF3.png
8F02C0E2-E90D-4EBD-A7B0-7F2D3AABF779.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be interesting to see if let's say a single Zoa would live there. Secondly - it would be interesting for you to send an ICP sample (at the end of the experiment) - to see whether the cap - (obviously metal - looks like Aluminum) has caused a change.

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting to see if let's say a single Zoa would live there. Secondly - it would be interesting for you to send an ICP sample (at the end of the experiment) - to see whether the cap - (obviously metal - looks like Aluminum) has caused a change.
That is a good idea! I do not think I can afford an ICP atm, I’m a broke college student, but I did not consider the effects of the lid, it was a very good point. For all I know it could be aiding in its survival!

Captain-Barnacle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! It’s Nora. I thought I would share a literally tiny experiment I started about two months ago. Basically, I received a jar a little bigger than a quarter (maybe it holds an ounce, idk) and decided to put some sand, water, and a little algae from my reef into it. I did not think it would work, but turns out that it is doing just fine! Fast foreward a few weeks and I notice a spaghetti worm and some copepods swimming around. All the creatures are still alive. The only thing I have done since its creation was add a pellet or two smaller than the head of a pin a couple weeks after its creation and a tiiiiiiiiny bit of distilled water as top-off. I want to know if anyone else has tried something like this, and if I am correct in my thinking that it is currently the tiniest in the world!
F83AFBED-2A08-4D89-BBDE-F2EB41C40FF3.png
8F02C0E2-E90D-4EBD-A7B0-7F2D3AABF779.png
Congratulations Nora, you rediscovered the closed biosphere, and yours may indeed be the smallest known! Is it still running?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's a youtube video with roughly 3 mil+ views where someone put together a planted system in a jar and kept the lid on it for ten years and it's labeled an ecosystem. it's just a rotting mass of water and organic material lol but I thought it was creative salesmanship for sure.

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need some corals in there, checkout this thread! I think they're willing to ship the zoas to whoever wants them!

3 wks I've left these freebie zoas in a bag in the laundry room. The things are still alive. If you think keeping zoas alive means you can keep sps alive, I'm not sure I agree...!
Screenshot_20230920_190430_Gallery.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back