Post on fish ban from Hawaii have a lot of fake news in them

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see it... Ooops. Let me check. Can you send the link

If you search hawaii ban on here there are a few that come up but I forget which one I was thinking of. There was just a lot of misunderstanding on the forum of the reshuffle

But yes its just a temporary halt while they reorganize the ability to regulate the trade as there were some flaws. It is not permanent. Honestly though forums are going to be the worse place to find information on the reshuffle as they are going to be very obviously biased and strongly opinionated.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please show me how to edit the original post
Should have some dots about here to edit...
20210209_215206.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A 500$ Yellow tang was just price gouging and whoever bought one during this time is a complete and utter idiot. Just buy captive bred or wait so the stores have to bring down the price. It blew my mind that anyone in their right mind would spend that much on a yellow! Even 250 is gouging. The fact that CB costed less than wild shouldve woken up anybody even thinking of buying a wild one at this time. If this is true than the costumers are gonna get real mad real fast
I would'nt go as far to call anyone an idiot as we have people paying $45 for a xenia frag and $850 for a bounce mushroom.
Its the market and behaviors of the market and people willing to spend what is asked for pricing. If anyone is to blame, it is the sellers who have increased such pricing and should have been the ones to research this and react accordingly and inform US, the consumers before reacting the way they did, rather than hearing the word and cha-ching.
On the other hand, consumers also panicked and made themselves vulnerable to insane price increases. Just remember these stores who did this and consider who gets your support in the future.

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you search hawaii ban on here there are a few that come up but I forget which one I was thinking of. There was just a lot of misunderstanding on the forum of the reshuffle

But yes its just a temporary halt while they reorganize the ability to regulate the trade as there were some flaws. It is not permanent. Honestly though forums are going to be the worse place to find information on the reshuffle as they are going to be very obviously biased and strongly opinionated.
While the ruling allows for future collection of fish for the aquarium trade it depends upon the licensee first performing an acceptable environmental impact study. The likelihood of that passing muster with the opponents is not very great. The environmental lobby supporting the lawsuit that led to the ban and still watching over the process is strong and apparently well enough funded to succeed over years of litigation.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1612911668782.png

on your pc you should see an icon beside the Report bell on your original post that has the image of a pencil and says edit. Although I recall one time when I wanted to edit one of my posts and I never could find the edit icon either.

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please show me how to edit the original post
Turns out there's a 5 minute window for editing posts unless you're a Supporting Member.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would'nt go as far to call anyone an idiot as we have people paying $45 for a xenia frag and $850 for a bounce mushroom.
Its the market and behaviors of the market and people willing to spend what is asked for pricing. If anyone is to blame, it is the sellers who have increased such pricing and should have been the ones to research this and react accordingly and inform US, the consumers before reacting the way they did, rather than hearing the word and cha-ching.
On the other hand, consumers also panicked and made themselves vulnerable to insane price increases. Just remember these stores who did this and consider who gets your support in the future.
Oh I agree the sellers are def to blame

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on another thread.... We have all been trained that a yellow tang is a cheap fish that every fish store and Petco has a tank full of. There is nothing special about them because a fish store can buy 100 every week and pack their tanks with them. They are in every fish store you've ever been to.

But the average hobbyist last less than 10 months. In 18 months there are going to be hobbyists that walk into a high end fish store and see a yellow tang for $500 and a purple or a Gem for the same price and say - I want the brightest yellow fish ever, and not know that a yellow tang was ever less.

When I was in High School Hyundai came to the market with the cheapest car ever - Yugo didn't count. And those cars sucked. If you had said - one day Hyundai is going to be a top end luxury line with a stellar customer service record and people will pay $60k+ for a Hyundai --- You would have said those people are idiots. And I am pretty confident that my age group that bought and owned an original Hyundai will never buy a luxury Hyundai, unless they win the lotto and buy them to drive off a cliff.

Dave B

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked the stock list of a major importer: 40 kole in stock at $90 and 9 YT @ $150 so the increase isn’t just at the retail level. They also have 100 yellow pyroferus tangs in for around $25. That’s unheard of! Obviously using them as a replacement species for YTs.
Jay

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 500$ Yellow tang was just price gouging and whoever bought one during this time is a complete and utter idiot. Just buy captive bred or wait so the stores have to bring down the price. It blew my mind that anyone in their right mind would spend that much on a yellow! Even 250 is gouging. The fact that CB costed less than wild shouldve woken up anybody even thinking of buying a wild one at this time. If this is true than the costumers are gonna get real mad real fast

Love it .... call people idiots with bad grammar.

I do agree that $550 on DD is speculative pricing and, so far, no 'idiots' have bought them. Also keep in mind that for some, $550 is chump change - no idiots there. But captive bred are now up to $275 (and are typically tiny specimens) so any price arbitrage may quickly disappear. I think the best approach is to wait and see where prices settle. Then we can all be outraged and throw around accusations of gouging with impunity.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do agree that $550 on DD is speculative pricing and, so far, no 'idiots' have bought them. Also keep in mind that for some, $550 is chump change - no idiots there. But captive bred are now up to $275 (and are typically tiny specimens) so any price arbitrage may quickly disappear. I think the best approach is to wait and see where prices settle. Then we can all be outraged and throw around accusations of gouging with impunity.
When someone tells me I'm an idiot for spending the money I earned the way I want to....

Haha. But I won't pay $450 for a yellow tang....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1612878346723~2.jpg
    FB_IMG_1612878346723~2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 22

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone will always be there to pay the 400% increase.
Thats capitalism!

YT have been successfully captive bred for 5 years now.

It won’t be long before captive breeders expand to meet the demand and prices will fall.

And that is capitalism as well.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are a CML holder, you can no longer collect anything for aquarium purpose. You can however, collect anything dead and sell it for food or other purposes (don't get me started on this). There are 3,000 CML holders in the state, 41 reported aquarium catch in the last year. Only fisherman interested in collecting aquarium fish are required to complete an environmental assessment. If you want to go and spear a Yellow Eye Kole or Achilles Tang for food and sell it to the market, that's totally fine under your license.

I'd be willing to pay for live Achillies and Yellow Tangs for a special dinner. I might keep them alive in a big tank tank like they do with lobsters until they get eaten - and that might be a decade or longer. Can you sell me live tangs for dinner?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I soon after posting realized that such a word was unwarranted and unfair. I apologize for the use of such and surely hope that my comment hasn’t offended anyone.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soon after posting realized that such a word was unwarranted and unfair. I apologize for the use of such and surely hope that my comment hasn’t offended anyone.
Yo, dawg, it's the internet. Dont take it to serious. You're a fish guy/gal. We already know you're cool.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back