Post your LARGE high end SPS

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently sold off a ton of stuff and looking to get into some higher end sps since my tank is stable and growing things well. However it seems most people cant help but to frag things up so its hard to really see what these expensive pieces have to offer once they are grown.

I normally don't frag anything until it needs it but I figure that if I spend the money now, I will at least be able to trade pices for stuff or get a few bucks back out of some coral when the time comes to move things, prune things, get out of the hobby etc.

So show me your BIG expensive colonies, not those 2" to 3" "mini colonies" either.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following... I have some high end stuff, but at this time mostly frags. I also don't want to frag them till it's needed. It seems the less expensive stuff grows quicker. Have had to frag my WWC Yellow tips several times already as well as my PC Rainbow.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to see large colonies, then you have to seek them out yourself. The people who have them are not inclined really to post or otherwise interact on the message boards... they need nothing and do not like to engage and fight with the ever-emerging swath of frontrunners and noobies that dominate the forums without really knowing anything. At best, they only really post photos to sell some frags or to help with a specific issue.

The large-tank forums sometimes have good threads too. For sale forum.

Go to Reef Central SPS forum and find Copps most recent post - this is as good as it gets, IMO. You can subscribe to Copps thread - he does not post much, but when he does, it is a wealth of knowledge. Schnitzel has a good one on here. JBNY is always excellent.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked a similar question a couple weeks ago, consensus was they don't exist, get fragged quickly, not out long enough, etc........

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
391c79cb1f5505b73ce393d039631851.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the names really matter? It's like weed. Ppl call it whatever "strains" they want to. They are all wild/maricultured in my mind.
Names definitely matter! Some corals are $25 and others $100’s. It all comes down to a name.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the names really matter? It's like weed. Ppl call it whatever "strains" they want to. They are all wild/maricultured in my mind.

Hmmm, think I see what your trying to say. Makersmark. I feel the same way in that I see all these new "high end" frags that come out I see wild and maricultured frags.

To the weed analogy, if someone trys to sell me some white widow and it's just some bunk strain nothing like it, I would be mad. Because strains matter. But comparing that to coral doesn't really work. Growing it is much more similar by far.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, think I see what your trying to say. Makersmark. I feel the same way in that I see all these new "high end" frags that come out I see wild and maricultured frags.

To the weed analogy, if someone trys to sell me some white widow and it's just some bunk strain nothing like it, I would be mad. Because strains matter. But comparing that to coral doesn't really work. Growing it is much more similar by far.

Yeah. That's what I'm trying to say. This whole "high end" thing is hilarious. Buy 5 maricultures. 1 turns out awesome. Frag. Rename. And sell it as aquaculture high end.

And just bc your dealer calls it white widow. Doesnt mean it's lineage is 100% white widow.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. That's what I'm trying to say. This whole "high end" thing is hilarious. Buy 5 maricultures. 1 turns out awesome. Frag. Rename. And sell it as aquaculture high end.

And just bc your dealer calls it white widow. Doesnt mean it's lineage is 100% white widow.
You’re over simplifying. Buying a wild piece then hanging onto it for 6 months or 2 years until the color settles, then fragging it to make sure the frags grow and remain stable, then naming it and selling frags of what is now aquacultured is not a simple process.

Mariculture pieces are different since they tend to culture stuff that already looks decent. So chances are, mariculture pieces already have been named by someone somewhere.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one seems to ever have large colonies of "high end" stuff, either because they frag them so often or the "high end" stuff changes so much, who even knows what "high end" is!

The SPS forum is full of beautiful tanks and if you read enough of them, there are some large very nice "high end" colonies in there.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back