Potential ich on Young hippo

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am using red sea and salifert test kit and finally Hanna for salinity. I am from Denmark, and i cant find Any products that help against Ich. Is it possible that it is velvet instead?
Too large to be velvet which velvet is more of a dust effect and fish would be likely not eating, swimming path of water flow and miserable

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you add some Seachem Prime if you have some ammonia and tank not cycled yet. It will bind the ammonia for 48 hours. Polyfilter will absorb ammonia. Need to get hospital tank set up with airstone running.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you add some Seachem Prime if you have some ammonia and tank not cycled yet. It will bind the ammonia for 48 hours. Polyfilter will absorb ammonia. Need to get hospital tank set up with airstone running.

can i use a eheim pump instead of airstone?

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too large to be velvet which velvet is more of a dust effect and fish would be likely not eating, swimming path of water flow and miserable
I Will order esha trimarin, but it Will probably come in a week. I just Found a White spot on my clown as Well…. What do i do

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I Will order esha trimarin, but it Will probably come in a week. I just Found a White spot on my clown as Well…. What do i do

While not a cure , a 5 minute freshwater dip often offers temporary relief and buys some time

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While not a cure , a 5 minute freshwater dip often offers temporary relief and buys some time
Okey thank you for the advice. I saw a video with someone who suggested to just ignore the ich and not quarantine it, because If one fish has it, everyone has it. I saw a white spot on my clown today as well, so I am wondering which one of these options you would suggests.
A: Quarantine only the fish with visible spots and keep it in a quarantine tank and treat with copper until the ich is not visible anymore.

B: Quarantine only the fish with visible spots and keep it in a quarantine tank and treat with copper until ich is not visible anymore and then wait 2 weeks more before adding them back to the display tank

C: Quarantine every fish (butterfly copper band, clown, blue tang, yellow goby) and keep it in a quarantine tank for 3 months so the display tank is sterile from ich.

D: Quarantine every fish (butterfly copper band, clown, blue tang, yellow goby) and keep it in a quarantine tank until ich is not visible anymore

E: Keep in display tank and watch if they eat, and if they don’t eat then quarantine them and treat with copper

F: Keep in display tank and if they don’t eat so be it

G: throw them in the sump

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okey thank you for the advice. I saw a video with someone who suggested to just ignore the ich and not quarantine it, because If one fish has it, everyone has it. I saw a white spot on my clown today as well, so I am wondering which one of these options you would suggests.
A: Quarantine only the fish with visible spots and keep it in a quarantine tank and treat with copper until the ich is not visible anymore.

B: Quarantine only the fish with visible spots and keep it in a quarantine tank and treat with copper until ich is not visible anymore and then wait 2 weeks more before adding them back to the display tank

C: Quarantine every fish (butterfly copper band, clown, blue tang, yellow goby) and keep it in a quarantine tank for 3 months so the display tank is sterile from ich.

D: Quarantine every fish (butterfly copper band, clown, blue tang, yellow goby) and keep it in a quarantine tank until ich is not visible anymore

E: Keep in display tank and watch if they eat, and if they don’t eat then quarantine them and treat with copper

Quarantine all the fish - leave your tank fallow for 45-76 days - depending on which protocol you use.

To rank your choices. G - throw them in the sump - the worst - will not help. F. Keep in display not eating - they will die. E. Eating does not mean they will 'get better'. D. Ich often completely disappears - and then reappears. This is not a scientific approach IMHO. C. Correct. B. and A. - neither make more sense than F or G. Again IMHO.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Yikes- never ignore ich as it’s a killer
General rule:
When you have ich, quarantine tank occupants as sometimes you don’t see them until adult and reproduction stage.and it’s often Too late to treat
Once display tank is empty leave it fishless (inverts/coral) can stay in ) FOR 45/60 DAYS allowing any remaining trophants to finish their life cycle without a host and die off

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ich does not disappear- falls off and recycle a new colony and do not place in sump as they will reproduce with host and continue to colonize and seek hosts

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yikes- never ignore ich as it’s a killer
General rule:
When you have ich, quarantine tank occupants as sometimes you don’t see them until adult and reproduction stage.and it’s often Too late to treat
Once display tank is empty leave it fishless (inverts/coral) can stay in ) FOR 45/60 DAYS allowing any remaining trophants to finish their life cycle without a host and die off
thanks for amplifying what I said.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich does not disappear- falls off and recycle a new colony and do not place in sump as they will reproduce with host and continue to colonize and seek hosts
Okey last Question i Think. Will hyposalinity slowly Down to 1.007 SG work instead of copper?

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Here is my Quick setup

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okey last Question i Think. Will hyposalinity slowly Down to 1.007 SG work instead of copper?
Yes at 1.009 but im not a fan of this method but yes,

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How come?
It can or may cause added stresas on fish. When you do a freshwater dip, it often stirs a fish up making them uncomfortable.
Thereby makes Me Uncomfortable

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can or may cause added stresas on fish. When you do a freshwater dip, it often stirs a fish up making them uncomfortable.
Thereby makes Me Uncomfortable
Well i just realized it is illegal in Denmark for the medicine, so i have to do the hyposalinity :/

thanks everyone for the help, i Will post updates if you want me to :)

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m from Sweden - there is some differences between the Scandinavian countries but as I know it - esha trimarine containing copper and you can buy that at least in Swedish Webshops - here is an example However - you can't use it in the DT with invertebrates

Sincerely Lasse
Hello Lasse. I have bought it and have put in another tank. How Long would you keep Them in the tank? They dont Seem to like the small space at all. (If you dont want to eradicate the ich from the main tank)

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i just realized it is illegal in Denmark for the medicine, so i have to do the hyposalinity :/

thanks everyone for the help, i Will post updates if you want me to :)
Tank transfer method is about 100% effective, starts working immediately, and doesn’t require any medication. Swap fish into another QT system every 72 hours, while they are in there get the next QT system ready to go. Works for velvet if you swap every 36 hours. Uses ich’s lifecycle against it - the white dots you see on the fish fall off and remain dormant for a few days before releasing swimmers that seek out new fish - TTM gets the fish out of there before ich seeks them out again.

My TTM QT systems are simple 5 gallon buckets with a small pump (air stones work too) and heater depending on weather.

Look up humblefish’s tank transfer method.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back