Potential worm or feather duster parasite?

timfenton25

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 2, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
6
Location
Washington, DC
What state or country do you live in
Washington, D.C.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4703.jpeg

I just picked up a green montipora from my LFS. I am very new to saltwater. It seems to be turning white and might be dying. Is that a worm on the right hand side. Almost looks like a feather duster or something.
 
Does look like a feather duster tube. It could be bothering the coral, but the damage looks farther away then where the worm would reach. I don't believe that's a montipora though being that it has distinctive mouths on it "the yellow spots"
 
Does look like a feather duster tube. It could be bothering the coral, but the damage looks farther away then where the worm would reach. I don't believe that's a montipora though being that it has distinctive mouths on it "the yellow spots"
Thank you for the feedback, I was able to peel the worm away and remove the coral from the frag plug (which I discarded), upon further inspection, it does appear to be a chalice. The coral has continued to turn white around the edges throughout the day. Is there anything you would recommend to improve its health or chances of survival?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new