JAKos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thread had a lot of wrong info.
Ex. a standard 125g is a 6 footer not 5

And I disagree about 125g being sufficient for a PBT.
Yeah it's a bit outdated as most 125's and 6 feet long- i've seen plenty of PBT in tank sizes as the only tang in the tank but normally as the only tang and does well, of course depends on the tangs temperament and healthyness but you won't always have the same experience. just put it there as i thought it said 6ft and that's a minimum for this fish.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PBT get big really fast and is very aggressive in small tanks. I would consider 6 foot X 30+ inches as minimal size for this fish. Mine grew from 2 inches to 8+ inches in 3 years. Far outstrip my other tangs in a 320 gal DT.
PowderBlueTang2019062403.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that I got him as a emaciated 2 inch PBT. I keep him in a 65 gal tank. He got healthy and out grew the tank in 3 months.
PBT2018042201.jpg
PBT2019040601.jpg
PBT2020091301.jpg

Eag808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone has success with them in a 75-90 gallon tank share you're experiences
I had one in a 75 gallon bow front for about 6 months or so then just moved him to a 220. He was pretty aggressive to any new tank mates that were similar shape but that’s just how they are no matter the size of the tank. But I didn’t have any problems he was super fat and healthy

Attachments

• 5FC416F0-024E-44BC-BC63-81A362755FEA.jpeg
    5FC416F0-024E-44BC-BC63-81A362755FEA.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 39

Wrigley&Ivy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN - I saw a PB at my LFS this last week. Super skinny, like the pic of yours. I honestly have been debating on buying it so it can get to get healthy. They have had it for several mths w/o algae in it's diet. ugh...I'm just concerning it wouldn't live for the price. I had one 10+ years ago and know they can be delicate. Did you have a secret to get it to eat besides garlic, selcon?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are hardy. If he eats, and you can get him in a place where no fish bother him until he regain some of his weight, he will be fine.
I like, PaulB, do not treat my fishes in sterile hospital tank with prophylactic medication. If he is already thin and emaciated, treatment will do him in.

Eag808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN - I saw a PB at my LFS this last week. Super skinny, like the pic of yours. I honestly have been debating on buying it so it can get to get healthy. They have had it for several mths w/o algae in it's diet. ugh...I'm just concerning it wouldn't live for the price. I had one 10+ years ago and know they can be delicate. Did you have a secret to get it to eat besides garlic, selcon?
They go crazy for red macro algae. Mine was hesitant to nori at first but destroyed the macro algae soon as it hit the water then a mix of frozen foods

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had PBT in a 90, 250, and 310 (all separate fish). While I’m sure you don’t want to hear it, the PBT was a total aggressor in the 90 (4ft long) and went after anything to show dominance. In the 250 (7ft long), he would have a spat or two occasionally with the angels or yellow tangs, but nothing serious and would do his own thing. In the 310 (8ft long), this PBT tends to actually hang out with the other tangs as they swim back and forth. Very little aggression from him if any at all (so far).

Wrigley&Ivy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had PBT in a 90, 250, and 310 (all separate fish). While I’m sure you don’t want to hear it, the PBT was a total aggressor in the 90 (4ft long) and went after anything to show dominance. In the 250 (7ft long), he would have a spat or two occasionally with the angels or yellow tangs, but nothing serious and would do his own thing. In the 310 (8ft long), this PBT tends to actually hang out with the other tangs as they swim back and forth. Very little aggression from him if any at all (so far).
No, I appreciate the honestly. I wouldn't consider trying to rehab one if I didn't have plans for a large upgrade at the end of the year. Currently building a house, that means a larger tank so I was thinking a 320 would be good.

Wrigley&Ivy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, here is the fish I mentioned in the above post. It's still at the LFS. I took this video today. I want so badly to rehab this fish. Like I mentioned they admitted "no nori, just flakes and brine" well, we all know there is not much nutritional value in those 2 things and the poor fish they admitted won't eat the flakes...duh. My concern is I'll pay the money and then the poor thing will die even with my best efforts. Anyone seen worse that pulled through?

Attachments

• IMG_3848.MOV
    18.1 MB

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, here is the fish I mentioned in the above post. It's still at the LFS. I took this video today. I want so badly to rehab this fish. Like I mentioned they admitted "no nori, just flakes and brine" well, we all know there is not much nutritional value in those 2 things and the poor fish they admitted won't eat the flakes...duh. My concern is I'll pay the money and then the poor thing will die even with my best efforts. Anyone seen worse that pulled through?
I've seen worse that pulled through just fine. That said if you do decide to get it be prepared to put in a lot of work to nurse it back to health. That fish is very malnourished.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said the brine shrimp they have been feeding he will eat but won’t eat the flakes they put in. He gets no nori
Maybe it's time to start shopping elsewhere. Any LFS that feeds only brine shrimp isn't one I would trust. That's like feeding your kids popcorn for dinner. But at least the PBT is eating something I guess....

Gonzomark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine in a 100 gallon since February and hard to imagine she'd work well in a smaller tank. She darts around constantly from end to end and they seem to have a lot of energy. Haven't had too much issue either her being aggressive, but have to wonder it that would come out in living in a smaller world.

She did do well in a 10 gallon QT when I got her though, oddly enough. Even paired with a baby clown.

Attachments

• 20210612_191741.jpg
    20210612_191741.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210612_191701.jpg
    20210612_191701.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 29

Wrigley&Ivy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's time to start shopping elsewhere. Any LFS that feeds only brine shrimp isn't one I would trust. That's like feeding your kids popcorn for dinner. But at least the PBT is eating something I guess....
Ha! Yes, you are right. I don’t typically buy fish from this place for the obvious reasons However, it’s 45 mins closer then the store I like to go too for my fish frozen food purposes. That’s why I was even in there at all.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Yes, you are right. I don’t typically buy fish from this place for the obvious reasons However, it’s 45 mins closer then the store I like to go too for my fish frozen food purposes. That’s why I was even in there at all.
If you do get it, make sure you qurantine it.

For the OP, I guess not many reefers have a PBT in a 75g or 90g because they know they should be in bigger tanks. I did have one in a 90g about over 10 years ago. It was fine until ich flared up and ended up killing it unfortunately. But it was the only Tang in there.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back