Powder Blue Tip (Maybe)

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Saturday I added my first batch of fish from QT to the DT. The DT is a 125 with only a Powder Blue and Yellow Tang, both survivors of a disastrous downgrade from 220 (Thanks Truvu for being late 4 weeks on the order). Once they both checked out the new tankmates (Lawnmower Blenny (Free from BlueZoo), Heni, Coral Beauty, Royal Gramma, and Orchid Dotty) the aggression subsided. They chased them a bit, but nothing crazy, except for the PBT chasing the Heni (juvenile, about 1.5 inches). After awhile I noticed that the only time PBT chased him (dang, they are both fast) was when Heni was around his favorite grazing spots, one of them being a veggie clip. Once I removed the veggie clip, he stopped chasing him around and all the aggression disappeared. I know the conventional wisdom says to keep the fish happy with food, but maybe removing the clip asap after feeding is the way to go with PBTs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
On Saturday I added my first batch of fish from QT to the DT. The DT is a 125 with only a Powder Blue and Yellow Tang, both survivors of a disastrous downgrade from 220 (Thanks Truvu for being late 4 weeks on the order). Once they both checked out the new tankmates (Lawnmower Blenny (Free from BlueZoo), Heni, Coral Beauty, Royal Gramma, and Orchid Dotty) the aggression subsided. They chased them a bit, but nothing crazy, except for the PBT chasing the Heni (juvenile, about 1.5 inches). After awhile I noticed that the only time PBT chased him (dang, they are both fast) was when Heni was around his favorite grazing spots, one of them being a veggie clip. Once I removed the veggie clip, he stopped chasing him around and all the aggression disappeared. I know the conventional wisdom says to keep the fish happy with food, but maybe removing the clip asap after feeding is the way to go with PBTs.
PBT is an aggressive fish overall and will display this behavior time to time and you are correct about how fast they move in fact is the only fish to give me a challenge with a fish trap.
Coincidentally, my PBT who is about 8" ran mt heniocus and moorish idols (who were nipping my coral anyway) out of the tank as I did not want to see them damaged and they hover around these fish in circular motion making themselves even more annoying.
Removing clip may be a good test to see if when removed - the behavior subsides. Will be interesting to see if this is a difference maker

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PBT is an aggressive fish overall and will display this behavior time to time and you are correct about how fast they move in fact is the only fish to give me a challenge with a fish trap.
Coincidentally, my PBT who is about 8" ran mt heniocus and moorish idols (who were nipping my coral anyway) out of the tank as I did not want to see them damaged and they hover around these fish in circular motion making themselves even more annoying.
Removing clip may be a good test to see if when removed - the behavior subsides. Will be interesting to see if this is a difference maker
I don't think it will do the trick completely, but it might reduce some of it. Today, in last 1.5 hrs since I got back from work, I did not notice any aggression towards the heni.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't think it will do the trick completely, but it might reduce some of it. Today, in last 1.5 hrs since I got back from work, I did not notice any aggression towards the heni.
And thats awesome. Keep track and let us know as you may be on to something as indicated and will help others with aggressive tangs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back