Powerhead Placement in first tank

View Badges
I've had my 54 litre tank for a few weeks now and introduced a zoa and a gsp.

I was wondering whether I've put my powerhead in the right place? (Bottom right in pic - Fluval CP1 1000lph)
The zoa is right in its path and closes up sometimes (left on purple rock).
Should I swap it around with the heater at the back right?
There is a perch on the grey rock at the front right of the tank directly in front of the powerhead where I want to eventually put a sps coral. Would the flow be too high?

Pic attached! TIA

2020-04-27 17.36.08.jpg

HellaDudes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You generally don't want to put any coral, even SPS, directly in front of a powerhead. I have a tank the same size and I find that aiming the powerhead at the surface diffuses the flow and agitates the surface which adds oxygen to the water.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in general, if a coral is closing up in the flow, it's a bit too much. It's hard to say exactly where to put it as fluid dynamics can actually be fairly counter intuitive. I've changed the angle on my powerheads just a little and made pretty noticeable changes in my tank's flow. In general, indirect flow and surface agitation are what you're looking for. The coral will tell you what they like or don't.

OP
OP

View Badges
You generally don't want to put any coral, even SPS, directly in front of a powerhead. I have a tank the same size and I find that aiming the powerhead at the surface diffuses the flow and agitates the surface which adds oxygen to the water.
Ok thanks. So do you think I should move it or just aim it up at an angle?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to put it in a back wall and face forward. Less obtrusive, easier on the low flow corals but keep the water moving.

So by the heater would be a good placement

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to do your best to avoid any dead spots in the flow pattern, otherwise detritus will build up in those areas. With a single powerhead, I would tend to put it either in the middle of one side and direct it upwards and straight across to the opposite side. If you want it in the corner, try aiming it diagonally at the opposite corner.

You can put an airstone in your tank temporarily near the powerhead and see where the bubbles go to get an idea of your flow pattern. A limewood airstone works best because they create smaller microbubbles.

OP
OP

View Badges
You want to do your best to avoid any dead spots in the flow pattern, otherwise detritus will build up in those areas. With a single powerhead, I would tend to put it either in the middle of one side and direct it upwards and straight across to the opposite side. If you want it in the corner, try aiming it diagonally at the opposite corner.

You can put an airstone in your tank temporarily near the powerhead and see where the bubbles go to get an idea of your flow pattern. A limewood airstone works best because they create smaller microbubbles.

Thanks! I don't have an airstone so I put some bubbles in with a pipette and am watching the bubbles on my skimmer. It looks ok? I'll see if the zoa opens up.

2020-04-27 19.51.50.jpg 2020-04-27 19.52.27.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back