Powerhead placement - tank specific question

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello fellow reefers!

Have been consulting this great forum for a few months now, and have been saved from countless erros thanks to it.

I've been strugling with my powerhead placement for some time now. Tried a few setups, but am not very sure about my decision in this regard. My doubts only increased when i made the move to BB.

Here is an image of my tank currently:

And here is a diagram illustrating other relevant info (green boxes are the powerheads, hidden behind the middle rock):

Would love to get some input on what would the best powerhead placement be in your opinion. I am somewhat aware of the general guidelines on the issue, but am having trouble aplying them to my tank.

Its a 50 gallon softy + euplylia tank. Have 2 powerheads of about 3k liters per hour each.

Thanks,

ffoott

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Placing them where you have them, especially because it is BB, is probably ok. I would, however, point them both upwards to agitate the water surface. That is where the lion's share of oxygen exchange occurs, so anything you can do to promote more is a good thing.

OP
André Brasil

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Well, I am happy with the aesthetical value of my current placement, but I do feel that the detritus in my tank isn't getting suspended for long enough as to my filtration to pick it up...

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 195 26.4%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 124 16.8%
  • Every other week

Votes: 57 7.7%
  • Every month

Votes: 28 3.8%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 62 8.4%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 8 1.1%