Practice run on my plumbing

BMotzreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a mock up practice run with basic white pvc before I start cutting the expensive red reef pipe i have.
This is the first time I've ever plumbed a tank.
Anyone offer any advice or corrections??
Keep in mind that nothing is glued or tightened so if it looks out of square or not level that's why

Screenshot_20211212-210754_Gallery.jpg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to see a gate valve on one of the drain lines? Is there a plan for one in your final install?

SDJustin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos for the 2x 45 degree angles on the main return instead of 1x 90. This will make your return pumps life easier / more gallons per hour / less heat. I wasn't able to accomplish this on my current build.

The 2x 45s on the overflow seem complicated as pipe friction isn't as much of a thing on overflows when running a 3 pipe overflow / bean animal. But with that said you made it all line up so go for it!

ditto to the previous post about having a gate valve (ideal) or ball valve on at least the main siphon on your overflow pipes. I personally have Cepex true union ball valves on all three overflow pipes instead of simple unions so I can stop ANY leakage back into the sump during major sump maintenance, and a gate valve in addition on my main siphon. This is a nice to have only because... how often to you do major remove/replace maintenance on your sump?

And I like colored PVC. It looks nice. Take pride in your plumbing.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is this small local alberta shop?? Edmonton by chance lol

OP
OP
BMotzreefkeeper

BMotzreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You paid more than I did lol where did you get yours from?
A small local Alberta shop. It didnt break the bank
Lethbridge called Reef PVC
They have a facebook page and also a fish store. I ordered them I've never been there.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ordered directly from Formufit.com in the US, it is usually cheaper than ReefPVC out of lethbridge even with customs and shipping.

If you need A LOT of it, Formufit Direct is even cheaper, bulk quantities of everything.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway back to the origional post, If it were me I would go for a cleaner setup with a few less fittings. If you drop each pipe a little lower you can make a clean 90 on each going horizontal then 90 towards the sump and 90 straight down into the sump.
Screenshot_20211213-064357_Samsung Internet.jpg

This has the added benefit of giving you more working space around the skimmer and sump in general which is always a nice thing when your sump is under the stand.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway back to the origional post, If it were me I would go for a cleaner setup with a few less fittings. If you drop each pipe a little lower you can make a clean 90 on each going horizontal then 90 towards the sump and 90 straight down into the sump.

This has the added benefit of giving you more working space around the skimmer and sump in general which is always a nice thing when your sump is under the stand.
I was about to post the same till I saw this
I had my picture ready and everything lol

OP
OP
BMotzreefkeeper

BMotzreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like this?

Attachments

• IMG_6826.jpg
    IMG_6826.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 58

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this?
Here your taking up space towards the center of your sump. In the picture that joshH posted, the plumbing is pushed far towards one side (underneath the stand) and running parallel over each other.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back