Precipitate?

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a QT, and I used IO salt. There is a light brown precipitate on the bottom. Is it safe for fish? If not should I siphon it out? From my understanding it’s a basically a hard sand, but I’m not sure if it will impact any medications like copper or metro. 2F6281B1-2658-4FF7-98E8-75A690123A12.jpeg 0E2EF36A-3D39-48AA-8B84-057CD6AF4092.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you mix the salt?

if it is what you say it's safe but if the salt was mixed correctly it shouldn't be in the tank...do you have flow in the qt?

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you mix the salt?

if it is what you say it's safe but if the salt was mixed correctly it shouldn't be in the tank...do you have flow in the qt?
Yea the flow is pretty good. I mixed it by adding water to the qt and adding the proper amounts of salt. I believe I added 1.5 table spoons or so of water to salt because I was trying to clean out my cup measure. I’m just wondering if I need to remove the precipitate.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the flow is pretty good. I mixed it by adding water to the qt and adding the proper amounts of salt. I believe I added 1.5 table spoons or so of water to salt because I was trying to clean out my cup measure. I’m just wondering if I need to remove the precipitate.

you can but it shouldn't matter, in future I would mix in a separate container if you don't want the precipitation in the tank...you always need to mix in a separate container if the tank contains live animals, but I guess you know that.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can but it shouldn't matter, in future I would mix in a separate container if you don't want the precipitation in the tank...you always need to mix in a separate container if the tank contains live animals, but I guess you know that.
Yea. I have five gallon buckets so whenever I’m starting a tank I usually just mix in the tank. I’ve never had this issue with reef crystals oddly enough.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back