OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. It's a middle tendency as it raises pH. Bicarbonate lowers pH a tad, and the other alternative, hydroxide, raises pH a lot.

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Was getting somewhat back to normal, upping alk ans calcium at the same amount, 5mg more a day. Took a dive again this evening.... dropped under 6 so had to make the executive decision and put 1 tsp of baking soda mixed with tank water...not really sure what to do now. I don't understand why this is happening all of a sudden. Should I stop dosing again for 2-3 days and start over?

Screenshot_20230124_204759_APEXFusion.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for dKH per day, rather than mass or volume, but I can find a calculator to determine it. dKH prr day is the only way to know if the dose is appropriate or not.

What volume is the aquarium?

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for dKH per day, rather than mass or volume, but I can find a calculator to determine it. dKH prr day is the only way to know if the dose is appropriate or not.

What volume is the aquarium?

I would say ballpark 110-120 gallons total with displacement. (Not counting rock and sand_

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say ballpark 110-120 gallons total with displacement. (Not counting rock and sand_

30 mg of dry baking soda in 110 gallons boosts alk by almost nothing. Less than 0.01 dKH per day.

IS that really what you mean?

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 mg of dry baking soda in 110 gallons boosts alk by almost nothing. Less than 0.01 dKH per day.

IS that really what you mean?

Well, I started very low and am slowly increasing dosing amount by approx 5mg a day. Should I up it more? Didn't want to risk bleaching or shocking my corals. Was 30mg yesterday, upped to 35 today.

I am dosing Soda Ash.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I started very low and am slowly increasing dosing amount by approx 5mg a day. Should I up it more? Didn't want to risk bleaching or shocking my corals. Was 30mg yesterday, upped to 35 today.

I am dosing Soda Ash.

If you can switch to baking soda, I would, but regardless, alk will always stay very low at that dose.

IMO, I'd dose 0.25 dKH a day with baking soda (or washing soda/soda ash) for a few days.

use this calculator to gauge a mass:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back