Predatory stocklist

AlbertaBound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my 180 gallon tank in the coming weeks and starting to research what I may want. It will be a FOWLR tank, not a reef tank. I was looking at getting a pair of Pterois volitans for sure, is there room for anything else or is that max capacity? I have a vertex alpha 170 protein skimmer to hopefully keep it clean. Thank you.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put a few large fish to create some motion, my volitan is in a 210. and although he is very active, they do tend to perch alot. Some fish to consider; a tang, a large angel, a trigger like a picasso, a dogface puffer, a foxface, a harlequin tusk.

OP
OP
A

AlbertaBound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I have a fluval sp6 3434 gph pump as well to keep lots of flow in the tank. I love the look of the foxface and the naso tang, I just wasn't 100% sure on the bioload because I know volitans can get quite big and they are messy eaters.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I have a fluval sp6 3434 gph pump as well to keep lots of flow in the tank. I love the look of the foxface and the naso tang, I just wasn't 100% sure on the bioload because I know volitans can get quite big and they are messy eaters.

Bioload can always be managed, whether it be with diligent water changes, carbon dosing, algae reactors, scrubbers, or refugiums.

Ravan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black volitan lions are lazy unless they see me with food in my hands. I also have a grouper and a puffer in my tank.

OP
OP
A

AlbertaBound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bioload can always be managed, whether it be with diligent water changes, carbon dosing, algae reactors, scrubbers, or refugiums.
I wasn't planning on having a refugium, instead opting for a 55 gallon sump below the tank with live rock as well as the other common medias so I can store my protein skimmer, heater, pump etc.. all in one spot. And being diligent with water changes of course. Would you recommend a refugium as well or is a sump good enough?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refuge isnt necessary but just a geat addition to manage high bioload tanks. Using macro algae can be fun and interesting as well. Another tip for a predator tank, you dont really need the intense lighting most use these days, this intense lighting usually aids in excessive algae growth. Utilize lower lighting helps maintain lesser algae growth, and adds to the mood of a predator tank. While lions will get used to reef level lighting, they do prefer lesser light.

OP
OP
A

AlbertaBound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice on the lighting, it's going to be a FOWLR tank so now I know that I won't need the intense lights that corals require. My ideal stocking list would be 1 Volitan loonfish and 1 porcupine puffer or maybe a naso tang? I'd like to be able to feed both fish the same diet every day as I work 12 hour shifts.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice on the lighting, it's going to be a FOWLR tank so now I know that I won't need the intense lights that corals require. My ideal stocking list would be 1 Volitan loonfish and 1 porcupine puffer or maybe a naso tang? I'd like to be able to feed both fish the same diet every day as I work 12 hour shifts.

Sounds like a nice mix, the lions only need to fed a couple times a week, every other day at most. The naso will need algae, if you could find live macro to band to a rock and drop in tank for the naso to graze. My angels and tangs really enjoy the fern caulerpa, gracillia is also a good choice az well az other types of caulerpa. The volitans will essily take dead food, chunks of different meaty choices: shrimp, silversides, etc. Lions wont eat off the substrate so the food needs to be suspdnded in thd water column or feeding off a stick. The puffer will eat the same meaty foods az the lions. The naso will aso take meaty foods, but likely not as chunky, they will need algae though very important.

Added note: porcupine puffers can be nippers, so be aware: in that size tank lightly stocked it will likely be ok.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For perspective, here's my volitan in a 210g, it's the same footprint as your 180, just a little taller. I hate when people suggest much smaller tanks for these guys, they get huge and need room.

003.jpg

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Lion King said bioload can be easily managed through different forms of filtration. If you do get a pair of lions make sure that they're close in size as they may cannibalize if there is too big of a size difference. A refugium is not a must but I would definitely incorporate one if you could. Search brstv investigates and refugiums they did tests where chaeto was the only form of filtration and it was extremely effective. I would not waste money on reef lights if you're not going to make it a reef and if you do incorporate a refugium then make sure the light is a lot stronger than the lighting in the main display.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back