Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s order like ordering from warehouse, not specific sizes. But I can ask anyways. Can you drill it if you empty part of it later on, or really need to from the start. Drilling a top overflow would be ideal but I’m a bit of a chicken. I’m surprised our local shops don’t do it.

What do you think of the glass canopy’s? Anything else I should think to order with it as an essential?

I’m like working out one step at a time, because I almost ordered a auto top off, ink bird etc and then find out they make things like the apex (still a bit too much I want to spend) but when you price things together maybe it’s not too diffferent.

The sump I was going to diy baffles but the kits on Amazon after buying the tank isn’t too far off from buying a sump. After regretting the tank immediately I feel like I’m over reading to prevent that with other items

Over reading is never a bad thing, but I understand the ability of all the information to be overwhelming.

I would not drill a tank that was established personally, as you're guaranteed to get stuff in it that I'm sure isn't healthy for the inhabitants. Also, should it go south they're now rapidly losing their home.

I rarely see glass lids on reef setups, but can't comment any further on that.

I know it's not what you'd like to hear, but I think planning out what you want to accomplish would help you answer a lot of your questions. Mainly 1) what livestock are you hoping to keep and 2) how far down the cash rabbit hole are you willing to go.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is the stand all wood construction, or metal frame with the wood just closing in the cabinet? If it's metal framed I wouldn't think twice about removing a section of, or the whole, shelf - exactly what I did as the area my sump is in had about 2.5" of clearance height wise.
It’s bizzare, I regret not building my own but the family didn’t want me to “take a risk” with the weight, since this should hold 880 up top.

It’s metal with a 3 cross brass at the top, and the panels are thick MDF.. two of the interior walls in the shelf looked like solid wood. And the shelf sits on another board so the sides aren’t all one panel. I’ll attach some photos. Since the sides sit on the shelf panel I couldn’t just remove it but maybe I can cut out a section?

The bottom shelf runs around 32x20(if in place a 2x4 to fill the space between the wall)x17.5

Attachments

• IMG_1647.jpeg
    IMG_1647.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1649.jpeg
    IMG_1649.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1650.jpeg
    IMG_1650.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 11

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks almost identical to the stand I have. Here's my solution to almost the same issue. Used a router, then shellac on the cut edges, then acrylic black

Attachments

• 20240419_201038.jpg
    20240419_201038.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over reading is never a bad thing, but I understand the ability of all the information to be overwhelming.

I would not drill a tank that was established personally, as you're guaranteed to get stuff in it that I'm sure isn't healthy for the inhabitants. Also, should it go south they're now rapidly losing their home.

I rarely see glass lids on reef setups, but can't comment any further on that.

I know it's not what you'd like to hear, but I think planning out what you want to accomplish would help you answer a lot of your questions. Mainly 1) what livestock are you hoping to keep and 2) how far down the cash rabbit hole are you willing to go.
It certainly would, my kid only wanted a beta (and I should have stopped from there). And mentioned maybe later get a clown fish, well I said let’s just do the saltwater first — and I quickly realized people weren’t over exaggerating how much the setup was.

As of right now she only wants 2 clowns, maybe a goby, wanted a regal tang baby but I said they grow up fast. I’m more interested in the coral. I was worried about the fish jumping from the top but I guess we can worry about a lid later. No one will be overlooking like a coral tank. The top of this will be 58-59” tall

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks almost identical to the stand I have. Here's my solution to almost the same issue. Used a router, then shellac on the cut edges, then acrylic black
Thanks for the info, I’m glad to hear it’s holding up. Definitely opens a lot of options for the sump. I was contemplating putting heavy duty drawer slide on the bottom so I could just fill the whole space and pull it out for cleaning and adjustments (but I worried about tipping).

Do you trust those twist level adjustments on yours? This one came with them but I read people can have issues. So I didn’t put them in.

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly would, my kid only wanted a beta (and I should have stopped from there). And mentioned maybe later get a clown fish, well I said let’s just do the saltwater first — and I quickly realized people weren’t over exaggerating how much the setup was.

As of right now she only wants 2 clowns, maybe a goby, wanted a regal tang baby but I said they grow up fast. I’m more interested in the coral. I was worried about the fish jumping from the top but I guess we can worry about a lid later. No one will be overlooking like a coral tank. The top of this will be 58-59” tall
If you're concerned with jumping, there are some mesh kits that are diy. Pretty sure you want it fairly open to help with oxygen transfer, but I don't believe glass top is impossible.

My suggestion is going to be to make a decision on the overflow issue, and then run it as a fish only tank for awhile. Less things to try and sort out initially

Thanks for the info, I’m glad to hear it’s holding up. Definitely opens a lot of options for the sump. I was contemplating putting heavy duty drawer slide on the bottom so I could just fill the whole space and pull it out for cleaning and adjustments (but I worried about tipping).

Do you trust those twist level adjustments on yours? This one came with them but I read people can have issues. So I didn’t put them in.
As long as you're not on the extremes of them, I don't believe they'll be an issue long term. They aren't my favorite way to level, but I don't know of any inherent flaws with them.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would rarely be willing to pay extra for predrilled if that makes sense, I will just drill it myself. That said, if money was no object Predrilled>HOB=HOB Overflow. . .

That said I voted HOB cause I am thinking about setting up an all HOB tank for fun and for utilitarian purposes. . . I already have a mostly HOB tank but I want to try a bigger scale. Also voted HOB cause "drill it yourself" was not an option.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rarely be willing to pay extra for predrilled if that makes sense, I will just drill it myself. That said, if money was no object Predrilled>HOB=HOB Overflow. . .

That said I voted HOB cause I am thinking about setting up an all HOB tank for fun and for utilitarian purposes. . . I already have a mostly HOB tank but I want to try a bigger scale. Also voted HOB cause "drill it yourself" was not an option.
I like the people on this forum, it’s much easier to get insight compared to lfs. With the tank we can’t return, he sold us a glass lid for $60 and said we’d need it but a min before that said I should downsize my tank for a aio. The convo felt all over the place.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre drilled! My new systems have the overflow on the outside.
I used corner overflows forever but the new ones free up more display space.
Agreed. My current 120 has the weir slots cut into the back panel with all drains located in the exterior box. FAR better if you have the space behind the tank. Almost certainly means a custom tank though. Mass markets tanks are still mucking around with durso drains …..

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. My current 120 has the weir slots cut into the back panel with all drains located in the exterior box. FAR better if you have the space behind the tank. Almost certainly means a custom tank though. Mass markets tanks are still mucking around with durso drains …..
Since we’re doing the overflow it makes so much more sense to do it this way, but I’d hate myself if I broke a $200 tank

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on possibly getting it done elsewhere, or is it really not that hard if you have a drill bit and water

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any recommendations on possibly getting it done elsewhere, or is it really not that hard if you have a drill bit and water
There are a number of great instructional videos on YouTube, there are guides that you can use (included with some overflow kits), there are even mountable drill bit holder/guides.

Personally I draw an outline of the hole on the inside of the tank, put painters tape over the hole on the inside of the tank, clamp a hose to the tank and trickle water over the hole, and free hand drill.

However you decided to do it, make sure tank is not tempered and practice on some cheap tanks first (wait for a Petco sale)

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of great instructional videos on YouTube, there are guides that you can use (included with some overflow kits), there are even mountable drill bit holder/guides.

Personally I draw an outline of the hole on the inside of the tank, put painters tape over the hole on the inside of the tank, clamp a hose to the tank and trickle water over the hole, and free hand drill.

However you decided to do it, make sure tank is not tempered and practice on some cheap tanks first (wait for a Petco sale)
I thought about buying some petco tanks. A lot of people say it’s easier than it seems. I probly would worry too much if the tank was cheaper and not already waiting for a warehouse delivery.. tell ya, this hobby takes patience

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we’re doing the overflow it makes so much more sense to do it this way, but I’d hate myself if I broke a $200 tank
I should have noted that my tank is acrylic. Cutting slots in a glass tank needs a professional touch (and a water jet cutter).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS used to do holes so you could check
with yours. There are plenty of how to videos to look at. Once you’ve determined your tank is not tempered, a good diamond hole cutter, plenty of water and patience, and it’s not that hard. Very thin glass (10 gallon tanks) is less forgiving than thicker glass.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s your stand working out, are you happy with the space? I’m still debating on cutting it out more than that or not (but also questioning integrity).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back